Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM M-10 vs Something for College Lectures  (Read 8812 times)

Offline doblecombo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony PCM M-10 vs Something for College Lectures
« on: January 18, 2012, 03:28:14 AM »
Hey there guys

Just want to know, If this recorder might work, for the purpose already mentioned on the title. I'll be mainly using the built-in mics

I dont want anything bulky (Although I'm looking for either the Zoom h4n, dr-100 or dr-100 mk ii for home)

I find the long lasting battery lilfe awesome aswell as the low hiss recordings

But the omnidirectional mics with the low gain it's making me ask if these recordings will have a good sound level for playback.

I'm also worried about the laptop typing and the recorder getting that sound

Any other suggestions?

I want a good quality mic since I'll be doing transcriptions and It'll last a lot of years with me while in college

Thanks a lot guys!

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony PCM M-10 vs Something for College Lectures
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »
3 suggestions:

PCM-M10 (anthrazite colour)
PCM-M10 (white colour)
PCM-M10 (red colour)

nuff said  ;D
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline doblecombo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 02:40:01 PM »
3 suggestions:

PCM-M10 (anthrazite colour)
PCM-M10 (white colour)
PCM-M10 (red colour)

nuff said  ;D

Have you used it for something like this?

Meeting recordings or so?

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:58:22 PM »
The Sony PCM-M10 would work fine.  The issue that would arise with any recorder in this setting is the proximity of sounds nearby the unit.  The mics, regardless of their quality, are going to pickup what sounds are closest to them (i.e. typing, coughing, ruffling of papers, etc.) and they will stand out during playback.  Perhaps you could ask your instructor if you could place the recorder on the podium/desk up front.  This would make the instructor more prominent in playback, but questions coming from the audience might not be as discernible.   
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »
nope for this usage, but for lectures maybe you should get an headset mic for your speaking, plug it into the recorders mic in and you`re set.

Generally the PCM-M10 is the "bullet proof" recorder here. it has very long battery life.

but if you do really professional transcriptions you should check also professional olympus lineup of those recorders, which have features which you want to use at your work.

2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline doblecombo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »
nope for this usage, but for lectures maybe you should get an headset mic for your speaking, plug it into the recorders mic in and you`re set.

Generally the PCM-M10 is the "bullet proof" recorder here. it has very long battery life.

but if you do really professional transcriptions you should check also professional olympus lineup of those recorders, which have features which you want to use at your work.

Well, I just want to use them to record my teacher/instructor and afterwards listen to the playback.

Offline doblecombo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
The Sony PCM-M10 would work fine.  The issue that would arise with any recorder in this setting is the proximity of sounds nearby the unit.  The mics, regardless of their quality, are going to pickup what sounds are closest to them (i.e. typing, coughing, ruffling of papers, etc.) and they will stand out during playback.  Perhaps you could ask your instructor if you could place the recorder on the podium/desk up front.  This would make the instructor more prominent in playback, but questions coming from the audience might not be as discernible.   

Ok, Any other suggestions, I just want to keep it next to me, that's if my classroom mates see it, they will probably be asking me for the recordings which I dont have time to.

I might just put it above my jacket or so to avoid computer noises.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »
M10 on your desk front and center...or where ever the teacher spends the majority of their time. What kind of quality are you really expecting to get? microphones pickup everything from the person walking down the hall to A/C vents to the person sitting next to you drinking water. Before purchasing the record, have reasonable expectations for the equipment and practice active listening for sounds you probably ignore daily.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline doblecombo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 05:51:23 PM »
M10 on your desk front and center...or where ever the teacher spends the majority of their time. What kind of quality are you really expecting to get? microphones pickup everything from the person walking down the hall to A/C vents to the person sitting next to you drinking water. Before purchasing the record, have reasonable expectations for the equipment and practice active listening for sounds you probably ignore daily.

So is this a good go for this recorder? (Any other one you would recommend?) I'm planning to get pretty nice quality and yeahI know an external mic would be better but I dont want to attract attention from other students.

And when you mentioned the desk u talking about mine or the teacher's?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:04:37 PM »
The closer the mics can get to whoever you want to record, the better. If the teacher is often at his desk, put it there. I really enjoy my m10 and have used it a couple times with external mics recording room noises.
If you do want another recorder with cards, it may be a bit of a hassle to make certain you're always able to hear the teacher since they may walk around the room. While omni recorders pick everything up, that can be beneficial for class interaction

As someone in class, I don't really care to hear the teachers replayed later on. Are you certain you really need to record everything the teacher says? Why not take comprehensive notes and read the material?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline doblecombo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 06:13:21 PM »
There are psychological studies that prove that if you listen to something while you sleep and during the day, when you sit down to study, you can remember things easily. Besides it's worked well before in high school.

Offline doblecombo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 06:15:45 PM »
Now I was thinking I could use these for an external lav mic on the go. And BTW what you think about the zoom h2 for this purpose?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 02:10:54 PM »
This is all you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-Flash-Recorder-ICD-PX312/dp/B004M8SSZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327000151&sr=8-1

Takes microSD card for expanded memory. Has jack for external mic.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline doblecombo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 04:36:03 PM »
This is all you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-Flash-Recorder-ICD-PX312/dp/B004M8SSZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327000151&sr=8-1

I'll be also using it for a 3.5mm external mic for interviews and that kind of stuff, a want a small one for filed recording and a big one for mor pro usage, are the preamps on this thing good?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 04:48:41 PM »
This is all you need:

I'll be also using it for a 3.5mm external mic for interviews and that kind of stuff, a want a small one for filed recording and a big one for mor pro usage, are the preamps on this thing good?

Good enough for college lectures. If you want to do field recordings, concerts, etc., get the M10.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.207 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com