Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD722 Battery Life/Issues/Models  (Read 7153 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
SD722 Battery Life/Issues/Models
« on: March 21, 2005, 04:32:42 PM »
Damon, I have a Bridge 4021>722 show up on archive. I've been running 44.1 since I don't have the extended runtime battery yet.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 10:18:31 AM by dmonterisi »
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
Re: V3 Vs. 722? What are opinions so far? Thanks.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 05:51:04 PM »
I've been running 44.1 since I don't have the extended runtime battery yet.

Have you been running with the stock 1500 mAh battery? If so, how long can you get how of it?
Retired Taper

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 08:59:06 PM »
I have gotten about 1.5 hours without actually draining it at 24/44.1. I may have an inadvertent in the field test soon if I decide to use the small battery for stealthing.

Someone else posted that they got 1:50 with the unit shutting down due to low voltage. I think that may have been 24/96, which means 24/44.1 should get a little more than that.

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 09:58:08 PM »
Well that's good, I don't plan on using the phatom power, so maybe I can get a little more out of that.
Retired Taper

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 10:04:40 PM »
Are you using the digital side only? There's an option somewhere to turn off the entire analog input stage, which should save a lot of power.

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 10:05:38 PM »
Are you using the digital side only? There's an option somewhere to turn off the entire analog input stage, which should save a lot of power.

No I'll be running line-in.
Retired Taper

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 09:28:59 AM »
I've been doing some research on stealthable batteries for this, one's that should get at least 2.5 hours at 24/96, which will suffice for my purposes.

Here's the 2 I've found that I think might work best, I'm sure there may be better prices or other manufacturers, but maybe this will help a bit. :

Sony NP-F570 Info-Lithium Battery (7.2v, 2200mAh)
Price:    $ 49.95
Output Voltage      7.2V
Capacity        2200 mAh
Dimensions (WxHxD)     2-3/4 x .7/8 x 1-1/2"
Weight        5.1 Oz. - 145 grams

Sony NP-F770, L-Series, Info-Lithium, Battery Pack (7.2v, 4400mAh)
Price:    $ 69.95
Output Voltage      7.2V
Capacity        4400 mAh
Dimensions (WxHxD)     2-3/4 x 1-1/2 x 1-1/2"
Weight        8.2 Oz. - 230 grams

the f970(6600mah) is 2-1/4 x 2-7/8 x 1-1/2"
and the stock batteries's height is 3/4"

The F970 battery is annoying.  It causes the machine to rock side to side in my bag so I went with the F770 which is short enough that the angle of departure from the edge of the battery to the edge of the machine is not that steep so it only tips so slightly.  This may not be a big issue in taping a show, since you leave the bag where it is.  But when you're running around on a set, the last thing you want to spend any time doing is reaching in the bag just to get the machine level in order for all the information to be clear at sight.  F770 at 6.8V will charge fully faster than F970 at the same 6.8V - due to the mAh I assume, I'm no battery expert.  This goes back to a previous post where I mention the necessity of running such a large battery when you don't need it.  Now, once we get into festival season, that's a whole different story...
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 09:33:35 AM »
the bg house show tonight may require a 6000mAH battery :)

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 09:46:59 AM »
thanks for the info.  any running time info on the f770 with phantom? 

3.5 hours, down to 6.9V on the F770 for 2 phantoms and two line-ins on the 744T.  I would think it still had another 30min to go - 45-60min to shutdown.

Edit:  I get 90min minutes on the stock battery at 24/96 running 2 phantom and 2 lines.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 09:49:13 AM by Kwonfidelity »
Southern Recording, Inc.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 09:53:55 AM »
I should do a runtime test with the 722 stock battery at both 24/44.1 and 24/96. I am hoping to use that batt to stealth. I could probably get the bigger batt in without too much trouble if I really tried, but having the small one loaded means one less thing to worry about.

Offline not logged in

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: SD722 Battery Life/Issues/Models
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 10:10:29 AM »
originally i too was thinking of getting smaller batteries.  but now having stealthed twice with the 722 i'll go with the big batteries (i've got one and will order a 2nd).

its very nice having plenty of recording time, so you just don't have to worry about .  also, glitches occur.  my second time out when i "retrieved" my 722, i saw that somehow it had been powered up.  not a problem with a big battery!  with a small battery, you might have been worried that the partially discharged battery wouldn't be enough.

also the battery can be removed if security is especially tight.  give it to another person, or throw it in your bag and if questioned, tell security its an extra battery for your laptop, mp3 player or whatever.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 10:23:44 AM by dmonterisi »

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 10:30:15 AM »
originally i too was thinking of getting smaller batteries.  but now having stealthed twice with the 722 i'll go with the big batteries (i've got one and will order a 2nd).

its very nice having plenty of recording time, so you just don't have to worry about .  also, glitches occur.  my second time out when i "retrieved" my 722, i saw that somehow it had been powered up.  not a problem with a big battery!  with a small battery, you might have been worried that the partially discharged battery wouldn't be enough.

also the battery can be removed if security is especially tight.  give it to another person, or throw it in your bag and if questioned, tell security its an extra battery for your laptop, mp3 player or whatever.

Sent this to SD.  Auto shut-off when there is no activity on the machine.  Auto shut-off can be activated or de-activated.  When activated, you can set the increments by 1 minute intervals and scroll with the user dial...

We'll see...
Southern Recording, Inc.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 11:19:43 AM »
as for the maching rocking side to side, this is where the portabrace bag made for it is great, it suspends the unit in the bag, with the big battery hanging off of it, and the bag has hard sides, which it can sit on level...

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 11:28:56 AM »
as for the maching rocking side to side, this is where the portabrace bag made for it is great, it suspends the unit in the bag, with the big battery hanging off of it, and the bag has hard sides, which it can sit on level...

Yeah but for $160? Is it really worth it if you don't have another PortaBrace bag already?

By the way, how's the caselogic bag that comes with it? I've heard its pretty much useless? Anyone want to take a pic of it?  ;)

Rick

« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 11:46:33 AM by Rick »
Retired Taper

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 11:45:03 AM »
It is pretty much useless. As they put it in the manual, it's a "man-bag." It's like a soft briefcase that's about 1.5x the size of the unit. It has a weird divider inside - not sure what that is intended for - the AC adapter or a spare battery, perhaps.

What's wrong with cutting out some foam to fit around the battery at the bottom of the unit, assuming you're running vertically? No need to buy a bag just to keep the thing level, IMO.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com