Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT SPDIF Question  (Read 6011 times)

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: MT SPDIF Question
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 08:02:56 PM »
you need to feed it a spdif signal from your preamp at your desired sample rate for it to acurately determine time remaining.  do that and it will be accurate.  it auto-senses the incoming signal sample rate, and locks to it.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 08:04:39 PM »
with S/PDIF input, the sample rate is detected automatically.  there is no way around that fact.

a few things.  with 24 bit, you'll never be able to get 3+ hours in a single file.  at 24 bit, 48kHz, you'll hit the 2 GB file size limit around 2 hours.  at 24/96, you'll hit 2 GB around 1 hour into the recording.  These is the reason why so many of us want M-Audio to implement a feature where it'll automatically start a new file when the 2 GB limit is reached.

It seems like the "Rec Time Available" is being reported to you, assuming a sample rate of 96kHz in both cases.  so, now, instead of basing this off of what it says when you hit "Rec Time Available", why don't you feed it an S/PDIF stream, start a recording, and see how much time is left on the countdown at the start of the file.   if it's around 2 hours and you're giving it 24/48, all is fine.  Some people have reported problems with the total time that it counts down from.  one thing to try, that seems to work for some people, is to record a short file, just a few seconds.  and save it, and start a new one.  this second file starts the countdown from where it should.  This is a small bug that M-Audio is aware of.  Still, it wouldn't hurt to let them know what you are experiencing.  Hopefully this issue will be resolved with a future firmware update.

Offline Do.com

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 08:10:07 PM »
Wow, you are right. So regarding the problem you speak of:

"Some people have reported problems with the total time that it counts down from.  one thing to try, that seems to work for some people, is to record a short file, just a few seconds.  and save it, and start a new one.  this second file starts the countdown from where it should.  This is a small bug that M-Audio is aware of.  Still, it wouldn't hurt to let them know what you are experiencing.  Hopefully this issue will be resolved with a future firmware update."

What sort of problems should I worry about?  I know there is probably a FAQ with this but so far you have me on the right track!  I can record long enough to fit the entire shows I need to tape soon.

Thanks
C
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 08:13:14 PM by Do.com »
DPA4061 > CS Custom BB > R07

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 08:18:14 PM »
Sample Rate: Auto (It will not allow me to adjust this)

Same here (with beta 1.2 firmware).

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline Do.com

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 08:23:39 PM »
Craig,

So feed it a signal, say a 16 bit/48kHz feed from my modded SBM1.  Now it re-calculates the amount of time once you start recording based on that signal.  Try it....

C
DPA4061 > CS Custom BB > R07

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 08:48:38 PM »

To estimate the recording time:

Go into Record Settings.

Set the input to either analog input, and the bitrate/depth to what you're planning on feeding thru the spdif.  Check the available recording time in the Record Settings section.  This is your max time on the ENTIRE CARD, for that bitrate/depth.  Then go into record mode, and start a recording (no input required).  This will display the max time @ max filesize for that bitrate/depth.

Simple, no?

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com