Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sennheiser Active Setup  (Read 88407 times)

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: New Sennheiser Active Setup
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2008, 10:25:20 PM »
Just ordered the mkh8040-st box ... will post shows ... will be running 3 rigs for compare soon

All on same stand

184's, 4021's, 8040's all into their own v3's into korg mr-1000's stay tuned..

Word is the output of the 8040's is really hot. They are reported to be a very sensitive mic. This test might not be perfect as each will like ther own spots. Will try to get FOB, at Board and 1st row balcony type compares.

Crumbo, I really liked the RRFB recoding a lot.  Seems like they can use eq did you use any roll off on the pre?

I haven't been to the chicago house of blues how far from the stage were you? The recording was really warm with fequencys up and down. Happy happy joy joy!

Thanks again for the killer share!

A :)

thanks  8)

I was about 35' from the stage

I ran 80/12 roll-off on the 722.....was talking to Sean (RRFB's sound dude) while setting up and he said to expect a TON of low end
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 10:31:56 PM by Crumbo »
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #181 on: January 08, 2008, 07:44:26 AM »
why not just clamp all 3 on a single stand?

a comp from 3 different locations isn't going to tell us a whole lot unfortunately.

+t for the effort

YY Tim thats the plan all on one stand .,.. Thought I said that LOL.. My point was we were going to make 3 separate nights recordings from the 3 location with the same rigs... Probably going to wait until the ABB May run as the sound will be the same in the venue every night and we record every night of the run... I will look to see if there is another good run coming up sooner to test out with..

The negative point was that each of these will shine in different locations so I would guess the winner will come out out different each night.

When this is done I will distribute by mail no charge to the guys on this thread 24/96 sample dvd's of songs to really hear the diff. As I never like the mp3 stuff to much noise to here the subtleties of the mics.

This is my preferential listening res .. So everyone, please, lets not hijack the thread to have the 16bit vs. 24 bit debate... Live and Let live... ROFL

Peace

B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #182 on: January 08, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »
here some pics and size comparisons to schoeps

Crumbo Thanks fopr these pics

What are you using inside the a53m to attach the clips to the shock mount?

Oh just got the 8040-st's from Dan Ross at Dale Pro Audio. He says he has a few sets both Omni and Cards in stock I paid $2,074 for the kit.. The kill price! No tax shipped out of state!

Call dan at 212-475-1124 you all might know him he is one of us and taped the boys and Phish for 10 yrs.. He is THE MAN!

A;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 04:24:40 PM by aegert »
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2008, 12:19:16 PM »
based on those last two pics, it appears that there *really is* no need for the active cables for this gear, just some smallish XLR's like Hyperconductors would do fine

Offline Crumbo

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »
here some pics and size comparisons to schoeps

Crumbo Thanks fopr these pics

What are you using inside the a53m to attach the clips to the shock mount?

Oh just got the 8040-st's from Dan Ross at Dale Pro Audio. He says he has a few sets both Omni and Cards in stock I pade $2,074 for the kit.. The kill price! No tax shipped out of state!

Call dan at 212-475-1124 you all might know him he is one of us and taped the boys and Phish for 10 yrs.. He is THE MAN!

A;)

it's an Atlas Sound AD7B 3" tube 5/8" thread at each end that I got from full compass

put some gaffers tape around it so it would fit nicely in the shure donut

I've since gotten a Vark bar which is much easier to manage

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2008, 04:15:54 PM »
Crumbo

I thought so.. I actually bought the same thing to use gaffers tape after I posted LOL....

You said it was unwieldy Why? was it not a tight fit? I was going to use rubber spacers with the tape should be firm I thought?

As for the Vark Bar.. Cool how are you going to get rid of vibrations? did you by the suspension clips from sen?. the shure dampens the static clips some?...

Thanks again for the reply!

A :D

www.motb.org

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #186 on: January 08, 2008, 05:04:22 PM »
Crumbo

I thought so.. I actually bought the same thing to use gaffers tape after I posted LOL....

You said it was unwieldy Why? was it not a tight fit? I was going to use rubber spacers with the tape should be firm I thought?

As for the Vark Bar.. Cool how are you going to get rid of vibrations? did you by the suspension clips from sen?. the shure dampens the static clips some?...

The Vark Bar can be shockmounted ;D

http://www.posthorn.com/Macvk_4.html

I never thought of it, but the Vark Bar could be PERFECT for my MBHO M/S setup in the NEAR future ;D That would accomodate my side address fig8 capsule and the front address ka200 card/ka500 hyper ;D Thanks for the thought Crumbo!

One question tho, what diameter is the VB where it can be shockmounted ??? I fits in a Schoeps A20/A20S, so would that be 20mm, correct? I should be able to fit one in my Shure a53m donuts, right? I take it thats what youre using it with? I dont care if its tight going on there, because once the Vark Bar goes onto the shure donut, its never coming off. Thats my dedicated MS Actives shock ;D

TIA,
Bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Crumbo

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2008, 05:40:37 PM »
that's exactly how I do it Bean

right into the shure donut

just need to put a small piece of gaffers tape over the middle so it doesn't spin.....I suppose I could wrap the circular part of the vark bar with some gaffers tape to make it a tad tighter

edit:  I'll try and snap some pics tonight and post

Offline Crumbo

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2008, 05:48:32 PM »
Crumbo

it wasn't very sturdy and even with the washer thingys it was tough to the mics balance properly and it's kinda heavy (the clips for the senns are heavier than you would think)

I prefer the shure donut and the vark bar over the schoeps a20 and vark bar......better support and suspension from the shure donut and the vark bar is super light

Offline Crumbo

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #189 on: January 08, 2008, 07:53:48 PM »
pics of vark bar in the shure donut

hi-ho silver cables  ;D

DIN

DINa

ORTFish

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:32:05 PM by Crumbo »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2008, 09:59:29 PM »
Thanks! I cant wait to hear these raw(w/ out any HPF). I thought they sounded kind of weird on the lwoend. But the highs were SILKY!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2008, 10:27:56 PM »
I'm planning on getting a single 8040 and 8050 for film work. It is interesting how excited people are about a Sennheiser mic. When was the last time that happened?

I got a hold of the dealer price list for these by the way, and I have to say the prices mentioned here are in the 5 to 7 % markup range. Not much for a dealer. The SRP on these is crazy.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2008, 01:34:16 AM »
Just ordered the mkh8040-st box ... will post shows ... will be running 3 rigs for compare soon

All on same stand

184's, 4021's, 8040's all into their own v3's into korg mr-1000's stay tuned..

Adam,

I can't wait to hear the comps

I am trying to figure out how I can actually budget these mics my self
look forward to tons of shows with these sweet mics
they may be the best new stealth mics around...  ;D

:
--
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2008, 09:29:54 AM »
Crumbo

So you are saying the vark bar is less weight? But you still use the clips into the donut it seems that you are adding more weight?  I built up the donut and spacer with the tape and put on the mic clips. It seems ok.

Did you have spinning problems? I guess I have to get the rig in the air to see how long time on stand effects positioning...

Again thanks for all your input.

Edit:
I just saw the vark pictures rig looks beautiful. I think you need to get the horizontal part of the vark bar off the donut though. The support tube on the Vark should be held up by the donut  or you will not see the -20db isolation you will probably get much less.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:42:52 AM by aegert »

www.motb.org

Offline Crumbo

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »
Crumbo

So you are saying the vark bar is less weight? But you still use the clips into the donut it seems that you are adding more weight?  I built up the donut and spacer with the tape and put on the mic clips. It seems ok.

Did you have spinning problems? I guess I have to get the rig in the air to see how long time on stand effects positioning...

Again thanks for all your input.

Edit:
I just saw the vark pictures rig looks beautiful. I think you need to get the horizontal part of the vark bar off the donut though. The support tube on the Vark should be held up by the donut  or you will not see the -20db isolation you will probably get much less.

I see what you are saying....good idea!

thanks  8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com