Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 163782 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2014, 03:54:58 PM »
I have the same problem!!  Mine is currently in with a local tech that services for Roland.  I'll let you know the damage when I get it back.

OK, I am so tired of just coming here with stupid questions and problems.

(sigh)

But I survived the summer taping extravaganza, and the end result is: i seem to have fried the battery plug on my R44.

It works with batteries now, but does not accept the any input from the dvd cable or the power plug.
Tried a factory reset, but wasn't willing to risk much more than that.
I'm guessing that has happened to more than one person here, so I figure someone can tell me what I've done and what its going to cost me.

And now...

...that fall taping season begins on Monday!

Thanks again!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2014, 04:24:03 PM »
Start here (looks like the photo links RichT posted and DigiGal x-posted are dead)-
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145920.msg1876239#msg1876239

The original photos and more on the board-mountd SMD fuses is here-
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=123284.msg1894629#msg1894629
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2014, 10:50:23 PM »
I love you guys.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »
Happened to me too in the early R44 days - the local authorised service centre didn't have the service manual and as I now recall it, it took a couple of weeks at least for them to get hold of one, and then another week or so to actually fix it.  What the fix was I don't recall being told.  As for cost, I'm pretty sure it was a warranty job.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #274 on: September 03, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »
Well, the 4 screws on the bottom come off easily, but I can't make the center one budge, so its going to be someone else to fix it.
I'm guessing i blew one of those fuses by plugging in the wrong power source, but I can't be entirely certain.

Time to spend more money, I guess.

Funny thing is, it just preformed flawlessly for 3 hours, taking a digital feed from the acmV3 and powering dpa4061s, then, as i was schmoozing it up with the band, forgetting to turn it off, it saved the files and powered down on its own. The adaptor would have only been a backup for most shows I can make it to these days.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:00:44 AM by jb63 »

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #275 on: September 04, 2014, 01:00:36 PM »
I'm guessing i blew one of those fuses by plugging in the wrong power source, but I can't be entirely certain.

With the R-44 using the odd center-pin-negative AC input/adapter, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.  The Achilles heel of an otherwise solid deck.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #276 on: September 04, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »
I got the ac input fixed for $80!!  It was a local Roland Tech so I didn't have to ship it.

Well, the 4 scores on the bottom come off easily, but I can't make the center one budge, so its going to be someone else to fix it.

Time to spend more money, I guess.

Funny thing is, it just preformed flawlessly for 3 hours, taking a digital feed from the acmV3 and powering dpa4061s, then, as i was schmoozing it up with the band, forgetting to turn it off, it saved the files and powered down on its own. The adaptor would have only been a backup for most shows I can make it to these days.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2014, 07:05:36 PM »
Oade CM R-44 pre's beat out the V3 in my informal comp:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=169346.0
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #278 on: September 15, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
I feel like the fact you were using different mic patterns might have had something to do with it as well.  Not  necessarily the case but it doesn't seem unlikely that more people preferred cards over the sub wide cards from back of the room.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #279 on: September 15, 2014, 08:16:29 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much my take away on it too.

In any case I've no complaints running straight into my OCM R44 without the V3 in between and this comp doesn't sway me from that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #280 on: October 07, 2014, 05:35:37 PM »
I have come back with more questions.
While attempting to upgraded a brand new R44 to a concert mod, Doug noticed an intermittent problem:

"The combo jacks on channels 2 & 3 have intermittent 1/4" switches.
All 4 channels work perfectly on the 1/4" inputs.
When you plug in a 1/4" connector, there is a switch that takes the XLRs out of circuit.
It's that switch that is problematic on this R44."

He can either bypass the switches which cost 110.00 or replace the entire jack board which cost 350.00.

I don't really understand this, but I know someone here does. I don't currently use the 1/4" in part of the in jacks, but plug in XLRs into the same jack, as well as using the digital in.
Currently that's the way I usually use it: DIGI+ANALOG; Stereo x2. Sometimes, I'll do all 4 channels XLR; ANALOG, Stereo x2.

Now even as I type this, I feel that I should be able to understand it, but I just don't. I'm guessing that when I plug in all 4 XLRs, they aren't taking the 1/4" out of circuit, but if I should ever plug in the 1/4", they won't take the XLRs out of circuit. (I still don't understand what I am saying when I say this).

So basically, I have to decide what I need, since I don't need an additional $110 or $350 bill, but I want the machine to do what I want it to do.

Can someone clear any of this up for me so I understand what I'm talking about?

Thanks!

jb

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #281 on: October 07, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »
Those combo female XLR / 1/4" TRS input jacks are pretty common on a lot of gear.  I've never examined any of the working bits of those things very closely, but assumed on the R44 that they essentially used extensions of the same contacts within the plug for both XLR and TRS plugs.  That's what it appears like when you look at the jacks from the outside. 

I can see that as a commonly used combo jack there would be a switch inside them to accommodate gear where the XLR and TRS inputs actually feed different signal paths within the unit (like for a hi-Z instrument TRS input and low-Z XLR mic input), but the circuitry past the input jack in the R44 is identical for both types of input.  That's what the circuit diagram indicates, how the machine seems to behave, and the commonly accepted scenario around here. 

If there is a switch within each jack, it's not working should not cause any obvious functional problem in either failure mode (stuck open or stuck closed), as far as I can tell.  At least as long as the signal path isn't compromised for either input- meaning that either XLR and TRS input works.

I don't think you need to anything for the machine to work correctly with either type of input.
I stand ready to be corrected though.

Offline huskerdu

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #282 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47:51 PM »
I have come back with more questions.
While attempting to upgraded a brand new R44 to a concert mod, Doug noticed an intermittent problem:

"The combo jacks on channels 2 & 3 have intermittent 1/4" switches.
When you plug in a 1/4" connector, there is a switch that takes the XLRs out of circuit.
It's that switch that is problematic on this R44."

Is he implying that channels 2 & 3 aren't working perfectly with the XLR inputs? I would think that it's a mechanical failure...it just seems unusual that you would have two go bad at the same time.
"The main difference between a singer/songwriter and a puppy is that eventually a puppy will quit whining." - Jason Ringenberg

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #283 on: October 07, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »
I think I also don't follow it. 

This is a new unit too?  Odd.

I've always used XLR's only but the prospect of ever using 1/4" and having that mess up the inputs has me a little spooked.  I guess I'll mentally rule that out.  My sbd stereo patch cable was RCA to RCA so I got those "bullet" adapters from RCA to XLR to run it into the R-44 the few times I did. 

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #284 on: October 07, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »

I'd ask Doug this:

"Will this problem affect use of the XLR inputs in any way?"

If not then it doesn't matter and you don't need to do anything.  If it will then bypassing them effectively fixes that problem and you'll be able to use either XLR or TRS inputs however you like.

That's the $110 question I think.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com