Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bose 301 Series III speakers  (Read 7639 times)

Offline BobbyHurley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • got a blank space where my mind should be
Bose 301 Series III speakers
« on: January 13, 2009, 05:37:29 PM »
Have an opportunity to pick up a pair of these speakers for < $100. If I got them, I'd use them as my front channel L/R speakers in a surround system. Seller says the cones are intact and speakers are in good shape. (pic below)

Thoughts?

AKG C 480 B (CK61 and CK63) > Oade m248 > GAK cable > Sony M-10

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Bose 301 Series III speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 06:26:02 PM »
you wont be disappointed. especially for that price.

if the woofers are done, consider replacing with them instead of repairing. i have a pair of 301's that have rockford fosgate subs and there was a substantial improvement in replicating DAS. ;)

mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline BobbyHurley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • got a blank space where my mind should be
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:53:49 PM »
Cool. I already have a Yamaha sub
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:06:13 PM by BobbyHurley »
AKG C 480 B (CK61 and CK63) > Oade m248 > GAK cable > Sony M-10

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 07:25:41 PM »
I know it seems like a good deal for the price, but I wouldn't go for it.

I simply don't buy the whole "direct/reflecting" approach to loudspeakers.

It goes without saying that if you could save closer to $300 you could do much, much better.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »
I love the Bose sound, its so nice. Grew up with dads 901s and have 201s at home.  My 201s are a newer series and don't need allot of power.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:19 PM »

Just make sure you see if the foam has disintegrated first.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 01:15:58 PM »
The direct/reflecting nature of these might be better applied to the surround channels, where it helps to spread things around the sides of the room.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:22:53 PM »
I have a pair of 901 Series II, that my old man bought in '75 or '76 and gave me a couple of years ago when he moved into a condo. I always loved them as a kid, and they look very cool in the living room.

As far as direct/reflecting theories that Dr. Bose developed and integrated into speaker designs in the late 1960s, I have found them to work exactly as he described in his AES papers on the topic.

Unlike normal box speakers with the drivers facing front, there is no real "sweet spot" in the room, in other words you don't have to stand within a 3 foot circle in the middle of the room at the tip of the speaker "triangle" to hear the best sound.

With the 901s, you can move all around the room and the sound seems to follow you and never phases or changes the EQ. I have also read for years all the bashing of Bose 901s, and I never understood it at first. My old man's system sounded incredible with his classical catalog, both with the reel to reel he had, as well as the turntable. My early Dead masters sounded sweet too when I was home from college.

I remember hearing some later versions of 901s over the years, I think they are up to Series VI now, and sometimes they sounded just terrible. Every negative comment I read was represented. Then, I got the old Series II from my Dad and during the setup process, it all made sense.

If you place them to far apart or too close, noticable decay in quality. If you place them too far or too close to the back wall, same decay. If there are pieces of furniture too close, or a bunch of junk behind them like book cases, artwork, etc, again, serious decay in quality. This is because the theory of direct/reflecting sound reproduction has as it's most important factor accurate coupling of the speakers with the specific room. Also, I have never heard 901s hanging or otherwise off their pedestals that sounded right.

Once I dialed in the correct placement in our nice wide living room, it was like there was a plastic bag over them that was lifted off. So, my opinion of people that cannot hear good sound from Bose direct/reflecting is the pair they heard were simply not setup correctly, or the room was structurally not optimal for them.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 09:49:12 PM »
yeah I love the spread / no sweat spot allot.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 09:55:26 PM »
Dumping the clear plastic sofa cushion covers also eliminates the sweat spot.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 03:41:40 PM »
Dumping the clear plastic sofa cushion covers also eliminates the sweat spot.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 09:31:01 PM »

Offline run_run_run

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »
Shoegaze Music + Direct Reflect + Small Room = gold

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.192 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com