Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)  (Read 126828 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: New Roland R-07 (the best successor to Roland R-05 and Sony M10?)
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2018, 12:45:06 AM »
at best you are attempting to make a silk purse from a sow's ear

I laughed out loud. I love colloqialisams.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »
Just got one of these - just a very quick test but hooked this up to my Church Audio Pre Amp and CA 14s.
It APPEARS that the MIC IN / AUX does act as a LINE IN as well. Compared to my Sony M10 it seems like it's doing pretty much the same thing. I had the input set to 20 and it was picking up at more or less the same on the M10 set at 6. I might be wrong as it was a very quick low volume test & im not sure how to get a definitive answer to this, but it looks like the LINE IN feature is there after all?
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline jj69

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2018, 04:40:18 PM »
I was hoping someone would try it with CA-14. My guess is you are still going through the internal mic preamp, but the CA-14, because it is a fairly low output mic, will not overload it. How loud was the signal you were recording? Rock concert volume?

How is the quality of the recording you made?

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2018, 05:58:29 PM »
Has anyone here ever overloaded the mic in on an R05? I never have. This is mic-in with a baby nbox and it was incredibly loud up front where I was recording from ---> https://logamp.com/1463/music/tracks/17186 .

Offline jj69

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2018, 07:02:45 PM »
I briefly tested the Mic In of the R-05 last week using the CA-14 cards and a 12V battery box. Surprisingly, the levels were not noticeably higher than through its R-05 Line In. I had the R-05's input control set to the maximum 80/80 while taping a loud hard rock show. The meter read about -8db. Since the specs (on paper) for the R-05 Mic In are identical to those of the R-07, this gives me hope that the R-07 might be useful after all. For me, it comes down to the quality of its mic preamp. If it's going to color the sound, I'm passing on it. Waiting for serious reviews.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2018, 10:34:53 PM »

A variant upon that a former boss of mine used was "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit..."

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2018, 04:31:20 AM »
This was only a small test in front of my hifi speakers. I'm trying to see if there's a hidden menu - I have found out that you can flip the display upside down, which is weird.

Not tried the phone app yet either.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline ideal77dlr

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2018, 04:34:45 AM »
I briefly tested the Mic In of the R-05 last week using the CA-14 cards and a 12V battery box. Surprisingly, the levels were not noticeably higher than through its R-05 Line In. I had the R-05's input control set to the maximum 80/80 while taping a loud hard rock show. The meter read about -8db. Since the specs (on paper) for the R-05 Mic In are identical to those of the R-07, this gives me hope that the R-07 might be useful after all. For me, it comes down to the quality of its mic preamp. If it's going to color the sound, I'm passing on it. Waiting for serious reviews.

That's pretty much my findings at this stage - it looks like it's doing the same thing in terms of levels as my M10. I also have an R09HR which would probably be a better comparison. I'll have a go at recording something and see what it's like.

Offline Drifter1

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2018, 02:17:58 PM »
This is from Tony a tech at Roland..."The Mic/Aux jack on the R-07 will support the same functionality, allowing you to connect anything from a mic to a line-level input. You'll need to adjust the input level on the R-07 so you aren't over-driving/clipping the input."

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2018, 02:19:57 PM »

A variant upon that a former boss of mine used was "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit..."

10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound sack.......
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Records

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2018, 05:04:21 PM »
Just got one of these - just a very quick test but hooked this up to my Church Audio Pre Amp and CA 14s.
It APPEARS that the MIC IN / AUX does act as a LINE IN as well. Compared to my Sony M10 it seems like it's doing pretty much the same thing. I had the input set to 20 and it was picking up at more or less the same on the M10 set at 6. I might be wrong as it was a very quick low volume test & im not sure how to get a definitive answer to this, but it looks like the LINE IN feature is there after all?

So how's the quality of the preamps compared to the Sony M10? I currently have the Sony and never use the internal mics, so I just care about the quality of recording audio when plugged in with a lav mic or a line-in. Are you able to monitor the audio with bluetooth headphones on the Roland R-07 too? Any delay in doing so? I know the Roland R-07 has bluetooth but I wasn't exactly sure if you could monitor the audio via bluetooth while it's recording. That's one feature I was looking forward to over the Sony since it doesn't have that option at all.

Offline KenOrwell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2018, 10:56:38 AM »

So how's the quality of the preamps compared to the Sony M10? I currently have the Sony and never use the internal mics, so I just care about the quality of recording audio when plugged in with a lav mic or a line-in. Are you able to monitor the audio with bluetooth headphones on the Roland R-07 too? Any delay in doing so? I know the Roland R-07 has bluetooth but I wasn't exactly sure if you could monitor the audio via bluetooth while it's recording. That's one feature I was looking forward to over the Sony since it doesn't have that option at all.

No, you can`'t monitor the audio via bluetooth with the remote app, only levels and start/stop the recording. To monitor the audio via bluetooth you need a headphones with bluetooth. Mine just arrived today.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:42:03 AM by KenOrwell »

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »
Any update from anyone rockin' a R-07? How's it sound?

~Chris
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »

~Chris

From B&H: Expected availability: May 31, 2018
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline KenOrwell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2018, 12:35:17 PM »

~Chris

From B&H: Expected availability: May 31, 2018

In Europe is avaliable since two weeks ago.

Nice machine. I owe one.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com