Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Brickwalled Left Channel Question  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
Brickwalled Left Channel Question
« on: October 21, 2007, 03:39:43 PM »
Hey Guys!
    I have just found out that my ACM V3 has some sort of issue and as a result I am getting brickwalling in the left channel of my recordings.  I had posted this screen shot on another part of the form to try and find out what is up, having now tested the V3 with a whole other set of mics/cables/battery/CFCard I have determined that the V3 is to blame.  I have a question regading fixing this issue.  Here is a pic of the screenshot:

Now, I have just had a listen to the original which isn't horrible but a bit crunchy, then the same track with both channels from the right side(mono) and then a copy with the left channel mixed as 50% left and 50% right.  Having listened to the same track over and over several times, I am finding that the third option with 50% left and 50% right mixed onto the left channel sounds best.  The mono version really loses the sense of space and becomes a bit lifeless in comparison.  What I want to know is if it's OK to mix the left channel with 50% left and 50% right or if there are any phase issues or anything else that makes this a no no.  Any advice is appreciated...

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Brickwalled Left Channel Question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 06:49:19 PM »
Hey Guys!
    I have just found out that my ACM V3 has some sort of issue and as a result I am getting brickwalling in the left channel of my recordings.  I had posted this screen shot on another part of the form to try and find out what is up, having now tested the V3 with a whole other set of mics/cables/battery/CFCard I have determined that the V3 is to blame.  I have a question regading fixing this issue.  Here is a pic of the screenshot:

Now, I have just had a listen to the original which isn't horrible but a bit crunchy, then the same track with both channels from the right side(mono) and then a copy with the left channel mixed as 50% left and 50% right.  Having listened to the same track over and over several times, I am finding that the third option with 50% left and 50% right mixed onto the left channel sounds best.  The mono version really loses the sense of space and becomes a bit lifeless in comparison.  What I want to know is if it's OK to mix the left channel with 50% left and 50% right or if there are any phase issues or anything else that makes this a no no.  Any advice is appreciated...

You have only ONE usable (the right) undistorted channel, so go with deleting left channel completely, pasting the right into the left for a dual MONO recording and leave it at that I am thinking.  But if you really like the 50% mix best, then you're the boss, and suggest just pleasing yourself first above all other well intentioned opinions.

Something has obviously gone bad to be broken in channel ONE of the preamp, so time to get it fixed.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Brickwalled Left Channel Question
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 05:38:30 PM »
It may not be the same cause, but I get PRECISELY the same effect on a few recordings I'm mastering for my mate.

The affected areas are applause which has clipped as he set the rec level too high.  This is what happens if I apply the Sony Clipped Peak restoration tool in Soundforge.   When I use Waves X-Hum instead, everything is ok. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com