Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread  (Read 98592 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread
« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2005, 10:12:32 AM »
I did not get charging completed.

After about 2 hours it said "no media present".  That concerned me a bit.. So I plugged in a cf card. It said 'booting' again and went back to the charging screen.  I never unplugged it.  After about 5 hours, I noticed that the battery icon was solid (instead of pulsing).

Has anyone ever seen 'charging completed'???

Well I don't feel like such a dork anymore for screwing up the charging.  Apparently the "charging completed" flashes up for a second or so, like we're going to be watching the screen for 12 hours to catch it.  If anyone gets close to 6 hours I guess I'll send mine in for a battery replacement.  Meanwhile, it seems that the 4 AA USB battery box does work with alkalines (NiMH lost voltage fast, didn't help timing much, and lithiums went 10 hours, should maybe go 13 with a 6-hour conditioned internal battery), I'll post the times I get later today.  Rechargeable AA alkalines may be the way I go.

Jeff

Offline rdvdijk

• Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2005, 10:19:28 AM »
How to read the titles (D10+25 etc?) and how were the measurements done?

The titles are bit vague to me as well, that's just what Audition gave me. I think it 'guesses' the note that is played or something.

I selected a second of audio that were sent to me by jboyzh, and hit alt-Z (Frequency Analysis) and clicked the "Scan" button.

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #197 on: September 22, 2005, 10:24:29 AM »
Talking to M-audio right now.

The current units NEVER PRINT "CHARGING COMPLETED" !!

The battery is fully charged when the battery icon goes solid.  HOWEVER, there is one pixel in the corner which NEVER fills in.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2005, 10:26:59 AM »
Excellent!  Thank you.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2005, 10:50:24 AM »
How to read the titles (D10+25 etc?) and how were the measurements done?

The titles are bit vague to me as well, that's just what Audition gave me. I think it 'guesses' the note that is played or something.

I selected a second of audio that were sent to me by jboyzh, and hit alt-Z (Frequency Analysis) and clicked the "Scan" button.
Ah, thanks. So it was just a 'clean' MT with nothing connected being recorded?
Hmmm.
If the peaks were flat and the wobbling was a bit less (could be modded?) it would be a great 16bit recorder!
But in this condition it beats the Sony decks SNR?

Offline lstelie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #200 on: September 22, 2005, 10:59:09 AM »
jboyzh sent me some WAV samples to analyse the MicroTrack's noise-floor. Here's a page with results, more to come (probably).

http://home.rustradio.org/~rdvdijk/microtrack/
Thanks a lot,

Does someone know how these figures compare to Edirol R-1 and Marantz PDM 660. The Marantz is usually criticized for having a bad preamp section and producing a lot of noise. How does the MicroTrack compares in this field (when recording from the mic input) ?

Thanks in advance

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2005, 11:27:32 AM »
[(NiMH lost voltage fast, didn't help timing much, and lithiums went 10 hours, should maybe go 13 with a 6-hour conditioned internal battery), I'll post the times I get later today.  Rechargeable AA alkalines may be the way I go.

Jeff

ni-mh don't go down the voltage , they stay 1,2 v 99% of the time , the come about 1.3-14 from charger but go fast to the 1.2  and dont drop in voltage under load
there is no rechargeable alkalies - the alkalines drop the voltage very fast under load

oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #202 on: September 22, 2005, 11:34:30 AM »
Just measured the phantom on my unit. It is 30 volts as reported by Len.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2005, 11:38:18 AM »
[(NiMH lost voltage fast, didn't help timing much, and lithiums went 10 hours, should maybe go 13 with a 6-hour conditioned internal battery), I'll post the times I get later today.  Rechargeable AA alkalines may be the way I go.

Jeff

ni-mh don't go down the voltage , they stay 1,2 v 99% of the time , the come about 1.3-14 from charger but go fast to the 1.2  and dont drop in voltage under load
there is no rechargeable alkalies - the alkalines drop the voltage very fast under load

NiMH gave me an extra hour, they were doing something (not much).

There certainly ARE rechargeable alkalines.  I just ordered some (Rayovac used to make them, discontinued a few years back, Sundance Solar sells an "improved" version with their "Envirocharger").  And I posted a link on one of the MT powering threads for a device that recharges ordinary alkalines successfully, reviewed on the-gadgeteer.com and found to work for at least a few cycles very well, no detectable loss of lifetime, but it takes at least overnight slow microcircuit controlled charging.

Jeff

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #204 on: September 22, 2005, 11:57:22 AM »

WTF?!  Can this be fixed with firmware?  I wouldn't think so, but does anyone know?
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2005, 12:03:35 PM »
Damnit.  Well I got my microtrack in, but it doesn't charge at all.  The LCD wont come on. 

Gonna have to call M-Audio in a minute...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2005, 12:07:50 PM »
Mine JUST got delivered :)

but I have to go out and do some field work this afternoon, so I don't want to start charging it here.  I'll start charging when I get home, around 4 pm today.  it looks like it won't be ready to roll for a show tonight though.  oh well, next week...

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2005, 12:08:41 PM »

WTF?!  Can this be fixed with firmware?  I wouldn't think so, but does anyone know?

I am dreaming of Schoeps mics (12-52V, right?).  Can anyone verify the MT drives these, it's a big investment to make on spec.

Jeff

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #208 on: September 22, 2005, 12:08:53 PM »
Well I don't know how I did it, but I fixed whatever it was wrong.  It's charging right now.  As soon as it's done I'll do some SPDIF tests.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #209 on: September 22, 2005, 12:14:01 PM »
[[/quote]

NiMH gave me an extra hour, they were doing something (not much).

There certainly ARE rechargeable alkaline.  I just ordered some (Rayovac used to make them, discontinued a few years back, Sundance Solar sells an "improved" version with their "Envirocharger").  And I posted a link on one of the MT powering threads for a device that recharges ordinary alkalines successfully, reviewed on the-gadgeteer.com and found to work for at least a few cycles very well, no detectable loss of lifetime, but it takes at least overnight slow microcircuit controlled charging.

Jeff
[/quote]
extra hour for what - above the alkaline ?,extra hour to internal battery?

about the rechargeable alkalines , i know what are you talking about but i dont think  they hold more the 10 charges

about running time ,  some one have to check what is the minimum voltage the microtrack have to see , if it more then 4.8  you have problem to run  nimh  batteries without step up converter to 5 v
the alkalines start at 6 v with lower capacity and fast dropping , to use them until the end you need voltage regulator as well , as soon they go under the minimum
with 4  2500 nimh and step up converter you have to get  65-70 % of what you get from non rechargeable lithium ion which stay 1.5 v all the way ( total 6v before step down)

oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com