Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread  (Read 98586 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread
« Reply #210 on: September 22, 2005, 12:14:23 PM »

I am dreaming of Schoeps mics (12-52V, right?).  Can anyone verify the MT drives these, it's a big investment to make on spec.

Schoeps makes bodies with different voltage specs.  I have cmc6 and they want 48. Schoeps even sells a plug in tester with a green LED to check the phantom voltage and current. I'm guessing we'll need to run a 48v bbox for the schoeps.  That isn't the end of the world but it is a PIA...

There are some small lithiums that should do this. I have a friend checking.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2005, 12:15:42 PM »
Well I don't know how I did it, but I fixed whatever it was wrong.  It's charging right now.  As soon as it's done I'll do some SPDIF tests.

Cool. WHEW! Glad it is working for you!
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline oleg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #212 on: September 22, 2005, 12:18:53 PM »
Just measured the phantom on my unit. It is 30 volts as reported by Len.

WTF?!  Can this be fixed with firmware?  I wouldn't think so, but does anyone know?

I am dreaming of Schoeps mics (12-52V, right?).  Can anyone verify the MT drives these, it's a big investment to make on spec.

Jeff

the cmc6 and the ccm series can run on everything from 12-48 without any problem , but you have to check if there enouth current on the outputs to drive the preamp

oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #213 on: September 22, 2005, 12:25:43 PM »
+T to all you guys who got your MicroTracks and have been adding to this thread. I've never been caught up in the bleeding edge of a product like this before and you guys are making it hard to decide which way to go... but I mean that in a good way... I haven't made a commitment to an alternate choice yet just because of some of the really good stuff posted here.

rdvdijk... your link is really impressive for me at least. +T for that. I'd have no problem running the MicroTrack as a 16bit recorder only... even if the firmware didn't smooth out the bumps... although I'm sure it will. The 16bit measurements show it AT LEAST as good as the stated claim of -100db SN... with the right channel maintaining -116db? That's a pretty clean recorder considering my alternate choice to the MicroTrack is 2.5 times the price with specs that don't even approach this.

I haven't read too much from anybody in way of love or hate... so I guess everyone is just playing it cool and waiting to see what happens.

If anybody can post some recordings that would be GREAT... I'd love to hear a silent wav with a mic plugged in, one without a mic plugged in, and then some voice or instrument in a quiet room or studio. Would anybody be willing to do that? :)
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #214 on: September 22, 2005, 12:28:50 PM »
You can send a file to matt at gettreel dot com and I'll host it for as long (or short) as you want.
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline rdvdijk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Rust Radio
« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2005, 12:44:29 PM »

Does someone know how these figures compare to Edirol R-1 and Marantz PDM 660. The Marantz is usually criticized for having a bad preamp section and producing a lot of noise. How does the MicroTrack compares in this field (when recording from the mic input) ?

If someone would send me short WAVs of just silence recorded with those units, I could make these graphs for them, and we can compare them.

Roel
"Obviously Doing Well.."

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2005, 12:44:57 PM »
I'll have some recordings up tonight, just need the thing to charge first.

Also, after hearing the reports of the unit "feeling cheap" I was very impressed by how the unit felt.  It's so much better than the JB3 in that regard.  It's no tank like my V3 is, but I don't feel like I'm going to break it just by holding it.

I am concerned with how close the SPDIF is to the USB port.  My guess is you wont be able to have both connected without filing down the connectors.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline BLOODYJACK

• Taperssection Regular
    • Bloodyjack
« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2005, 12:45:36 PM »
To create 48v from a small DC battery you need a charge pump type DCtoDC converter. This kind of circuit may need the load connected to give the correct voltage so if you guys are just sticking a voltmeter on the pins with no load this reading is meaningless.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2005, 12:52:39 PM »

extra hour for what - above the alkaline ?,extra hour to internal battery?

about the rechargeable alkalines , i know what are you talking about but i dont think  they hold more the 10 charges

about running time ,  some one have to check what is the minimum voltage the microtrack have to see , if it more then 4.8  you have problem to run  nimh  batteries without step up converter to 5 v
the alkalines start at 6 v with lower capacity and fast dropping , to use them until the end you need voltage regulator as well , as soon they go under the minimum
with 4  2500 nimh and step up converter you have to get  65-70 % of what you get from non rechargeable lithium ion which stay 1.5 v all the way ( total 6v before step down)

The 2500 mAh NiMH in the USB battery box gave me a total of 4 hours WITH my lame internal battery, which on its own does 3 hours pretty consistently.  

The Sundance Solar product claims 100 cycles, not 10.  The Gadgeteer-reviewed recharger of ordinary alkalines has only been tested by them for a few cycles, so I don't know on that one.

For regular alkalines, I have gotten 5 hours now (including a charged internal battery that runs 3 hours on its own), the state of the meters leads me to guess I'll get a total of 6-7 hours or so.

How big is the step-up converter package?  The niceness of the USB battery box itself is than it is about as small as a 4 AA package can get.  I'd be interested in a small package USB box using NiMHs, for sure.

Jeff

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2005, 12:57:46 PM »
I am concerned with how close the SPDIF is to the USB port.  My guess is you wont be able to have both connected without filing down the connectors.

I commented on that when I first got my unit last Friday.  With a fatter RCA connector they hug each other a bit too closely, but everything seems to go in alright.  An extra mm or so would have been nice and there seems to be enough real estate on the outsdie of the machine, not sure what internal constraints led them to snug the the ports up so close.

Jeff

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2005, 01:09:16 PM »
Mine JUST got delivered :)

but I have to go out and do some field work this afternoon, so I don't want to start charging it here.  I'll start charging when I get home, around 4 pm today.  it looks like it won't be ready to roll for a show tonight though.  oh well, next week...

can you bring it anyways? Id like to see it
the show is over go home please.

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #221 on: September 22, 2005, 01:24:53 PM »

extra hour for what - above the alkaline ?,extra hour to internal battery?

about the rechargeable alkalines , i know what are you talking about but i dont think  they hold more the 10 charges

about running time ,  some one have to check what is the minimum voltage the microtrack have to see , if it more then 4.8  you have problem to run  nimh  batteries without step up converter to 5 v
the alkalines start at 6 v with lower capacity and fast dropping , to use them until the end you need voltage regulator as well , as soon they go under the minimum
with 4  2500 nimh and step up converter you have to get  65-70 % of what you get from non rechargeable lithium ion which stay 1.5 v all the way ( total 6v before step down)

The 2500 mAh NiMH in the USB battery box gave me a total of 4 hours WITH my lame internal battery, which on its own does 3 hours pretty consistently.  

The Sundance Solar product claims 100 cycles, not 10.  The Gadgeteer-reviewed recharger of ordinary alkalines has only been tested by them for a few cycles, so I don't know on that one.

For regular alkalines, I have gotten 5 hours now (including a charged internal battery that runs 3 hours on its own), the state of the meters leads me to guess I'll get a total of 6-7 hours or so.

How big is the step-up converter package?  The niceness of the USB battery box itself is than it is about as small as a 4 AA package can get.  I'd be interested in a small package USB box using NiMHs, for sure.

Jeff

http://www.tekgear.com/index.cfm?pageID=90&prodid=466&section=99&nodelist=1,99
something like that jeff, but if you making one , be sure you make proper cut off not to ruin the batteries by over discharge them

so you actually can use the ni-mh - other wise you use only small part of it , the same for the alkalines

you have this one also but for 2 batteries only
http://www.tekgear.com/index.cfm?pageID=90&prodid=252&section=99&nodelist=1,99
you need to replace the jack for usb connector

« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 01:34:11 PM by oleg »

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb

Offline BLOODYJACK

• Taperssection Regular
    • Bloodyjack
« Reply #222 on: September 22, 2005, 02:23:22 PM »
That 5 volt DC2DC convertor only outputs 200ma this will not be enough if the internal battery needs a charge.

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #223 on: September 22, 2005, 02:48:22 PM »
That 5 volt DC2DC convertor only outputs 200ma this will not be enough if the internal battery needs a charge.

you are right  on that point ,so it better come with full charge battry or look for better converter
at least 25% over the total consumption durring the charging prosses while the unit runs 24/96
since i still dont have my i cant check it :-)
if someone can mesure the current  unit drows it will be very nice

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #224 on: September 22, 2005, 04:01:47 PM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned it.. The meters on this thing are Excellent.  They're VERY fast.  They had a long peak hold of around 2 or 3 seconds.  The bottom LEDs flicker with signal and the top are clip indicators.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com