Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread  (Read 98577 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread
« Reply #285 on: September 23, 2005, 08:04:02 PM »
I just wanted to come in here and say that the 16/48 S/PDIF input is indeed bit-accurate.

This is based on an set 2 of the show that I taped last night.  V3 > D8 via AES1 output, V3 > Microtrack via the coax output.

I haven't yet transferred set 1, and I'll test that one as well.  but set 2 was an hour long.  Microtrack file copied with a USB 2 card reader.
the DAT was transferred via D8 > EgoSys Waveterminal 2496 > Cool Edit 2000.

I then trimmed both files to start and end at exactly the same place.  Then I used mkwACT to generate md5 files for both.

89c23072bd5dd4c2d86d6abb13cf2847 *set2-DAT.wav
89c23072bd5dd4c2d86d6abb13cf2847 *set2-MT.wav

;D

So amid all the bugs and quirks of the initial firmware, this gives me a good deal of hope.  I know I'm not the first one to do bit accuracy tests, but I don't think John's tests were over the same length of time.  So basically, in my mind, this proves that not only does it not resample the digital input, but it also doesn't have any periodic or random blips over a long period of time.

after I transfer the 2 hour long first set, I'll do the same thing and post here with results.

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 08:09:01 PM by JasonSobel »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #286 on: September 23, 2005, 08:08:17 PM »
+T Jason!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #287 on: September 23, 2005, 08:31:26 PM »
Freelunch, you really let the setlist requester have it on DaD!! ;D

Hey, a few questions....namely that you ran mic-in or what?  How far back were you? The recording is quite good but there is one thing I have noticed and I am not sure if it is the MT or the processing, The highs at times are a just a tiny bit washy.  I just want to say that the show itself is really a decent Beck show

That SP batt box sure does take the serious boom about of the DPAs.  Beck shows are thick, and you managed to take the boomy edge off here.  IS the box mini-in?  Did you have the DPAs reterminated?

After some of the initial negative things and dissapointment expressed about the MT, I am glad to hear you pulled a very sucessful recording off with the it.  It makes me feel much better about it.  The only complaint after my handling it last week was that it felt kind of cheap.  Reminds me of my Rio 500 a bit.

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #288 on: September 23, 2005, 08:44:59 PM »
I've added some internal pics of the MT in the rig section. I did note the adc chip which is used in the MT and have provided a link to the specs of this adc.

http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak5365/ek5365.pdf

Also, the headphone amplifier which several people have commented on can be found at the link below.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa152.pdf

Enjoy yr weekend...
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #289 on: September 24, 2005, 12:09:53 AM »
It could be that I'm overly tired at the moment and I'm missing something, but does anyone have a problem with setting a record level with out actually starting a new file to do so. It doesn't seem like I can put the unit into a record pause mode to get a level for a later recording. I do have "monitor recording" enabled via the menu but I can't see a recording level without actually starting a recording.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline RADIONICO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #290 on: September 24, 2005, 04:51:15 AM »
hello bonjour...
What "rig" or "rigpics" means...
Thank you ;o)

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #291 on: September 24, 2005, 05:15:49 AM »
I've added some internal pics of the MT in the rig section. I did note the adc chip which is used in the MT and have provided a link to the specs of this adc.

http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/ak5365/ek5365.pdf
The PGA in the ADC has a range of 0 - 12dB. Did you see any opamps or similar near the ADC?

Hmm. Is the limiter usable?  ???

What resistor value is between pins 10 & 11 and 14 & 15 of the ADC?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 06:29:04 AM by udovdh »

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #292 on: September 24, 2005, 06:37:24 AM »
hello bonjour...
What "rig" or "rigpics" means...[/url]
Voila! (click there)

Offline RADIONICO

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #293 on: September 24, 2005, 09:11:17 AM »
Merci  :)

Offline dylygruvn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #294 on: September 24, 2005, 09:36:24 AM »
It could be that I'm overly tired at the moment and I'm missing something, but does anyone have a problem with setting a record level with out actually starting a new file to do so. It doesn't seem like I can put the unit into a record pause mode to get a level for a later recording. I do have "monitor recording" enabled via the menu but I can't see a recording level without actually starting a recording.
dB-

I am having the same problem.  I was able to set the levels initially but then I had no control over it.  I assume this will be fixed soon.

Yesterday I ran the output from my DAT deck into the spdif input (16/44.1) and was able to record for 4:45 on the internal battery alone.  I'm pretty happy with this.  I hope it can maintain these recording times.  The unit was still powered after 4:45 but I could not start a new file.  I'm guessing if the battery voltage is too low it won't allow you to start a new recording??

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #295 on: September 24, 2005, 11:12:59 AM »
Has anyone checked to see if the MT can take a consumer AES signal (such as from AES1 on the V3) yet?

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #296 on: September 24, 2005, 12:11:38 PM »
My MT will not display the recorded levels on playback, or give me the ability to set a recording level prior to actually creating a file. Can anyone confirm this with their MT.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #297 on: September 24, 2005, 01:19:01 PM »
dB-

I am having the same problem.  I was able to set the levels initially but then I had no control over it.  I assume this will be fixed soon.

Yesterday I ran the output from my DAT deck into the spdif input (16/44.1) and was able to record for 4:45 on the internal battery alone.  I'm pretty happy with this.  I hope it can maintain these recording times.  The unit was still powered after 4:45 but I could not start a new file.  I'm guessing if the battery voltage is too low it won't allow you to start a new recording??

I'm going to take a wild guess yet, but given what you just said and considering what I've read in the manual, didn't it seem weird to you guys in the manual how they kept giving examples where they started recording, got the level right, stopped recording, and then you were "ready" to tape? Didn't I read a bunch of examples like that in the manual? Kind of implies that they didn't program a rec-pause-like mode...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #298 on: September 24, 2005, 03:21:42 PM »
So, how do I set my levels?  The right channel button seems to control both channels and the left channel button doesn't do anything.

Is that normal?
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #299 on: September 24, 2005, 03:39:07 PM »
So, how do I set my levels?  The right channel button seems to control both channels and the left channel button doesn't do anything.

Is that normal?

yes, Under the "System" menu, there is a control to "Link L+R "  if you want seperate controls over each channel, just turn that function "off"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com