Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread  (Read 98597 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: M-Audio MicroTrack 2496 - *actual* real-life experiences thread
« Reply #300 on: September 24, 2005, 06:44:09 PM »
Freelunch, you really let the setlist requester have it on DaD!! ;D

Yeah, I just wasn't in the mood for whining from non-tapers on a show that I worked so hard to get out quickly ;)

Hey, a few questions....namely that you ran mic-in or what?  How far back were you? The recording is quite good but there is one thing I have noticed and I am not sure if it is the MT or the processing, The highs at times are a just a tiny bit washy.  I just want to say that the show itself is really a decent Beck show

I was on the main floor about 60' from the stage and about 4' right of dfc.

I'll have to check out the highs.  I've listened to the recording a bit but have had very little time since the show (just got back into town). Plus, I couldn't eval it being very sleep deprived.

It would be interesting to go record a drum kit to comp the high end, etc. I'm sure we'll be seeing some very interesting comps soon.  I can't wait to run my schoeps directly into this thing.

You guys should feel free to tear the quality apart, I don't mind. I only wish I had a similar 4061 source from a modsbm, etc.

I ran into the mic input with a 20db attenuation cable.  That was necessary because my MT is defective and I can't switch it into line in mode.  I assume line in mode would make the pad cable unnecessary.  Even with the pad, I ran the levels only one or two clicks from the lowest setting!

Keep in mind that this pad cable may not be well tuned to this rig.  We don't know the impedance of the microtracker at various gain settings (it is typically different).  Attenuators, and bass rolloff circuits, should be matched to the impedance of the mics and the pre-amp input.  AT mics are in the 200 ohm range.  The 4061 is 30-40 ohms.  I don't know how much sonic impact this has, but we need to put some effort into measuring this aspect of the MT.  I'd be happy to work on that but I can't really do it until mine is replaced. There is a great thread here that explains how it was done for the jb3.

So I would not be the least bit surprised if the highs on this recording suffered due to this attenuator config or an ill matched bass rolloff.  Even if the attenuator were well matched, this is still a high gain recording that should have been a low gain recording.  I'm guessing the MT can do much better than this.

That SP batt box sure does take the serious boom about of the DPAs.  Beck shows are thick, and you managed to take the boomy edge off here.  IS the box mini-in?  Did you have the DPAs reterminated?

That was my first time seeing him live and the bass was very thick. I wonder how it would have sounded with the filter in the off setting.  The microtrack does not seem to be lacking on bass.

I re-soldered the dpa's with a miniplug.  Sound pro did my bbox with a female miniplug on a pigtail so I could easily change the connector type later.  I could have made my own bbox but didn't have time and their service was great.

Afife has made many many more 4061 recordings than I have. His approach is to not use the rolloff on his SP box.. I don't have enough experience with these mics and this much bass to say which is best. This was the first time I've used the rolloff with the dpa's (I've used it with CMC4's, where it seems more necessary due to brickwalling, etc).

After some of the initial negative things and dissapointment expressed about the MT, I am glad to hear you pulled a very sucessful recording off with the it.  It makes me feel much better about it.  The only complaint after my handling it last week was that it felt kind of cheap.  Reminds me of my Rio 500 a bit.

I'm pleased with it. The bass seems fairly accurate to where I was in the venue.  That's saying a lot considering how much there was.  I love those 4061's..  The MT is Very light weight. I think the fit of the case is very good and that the cheapness feel is due to the light weight (and those cheap switches).

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #301 on: September 25, 2005, 03:08:12 AM »
I'm going to take a wild guess yet, but given what you just said and considering what I've read in the manual, didn't it seem weird to you guys in the manual how they kept giving examples where they started recording, got the level right, stopped recording, and then you were "ready" to tape? Didn't I read a bunch of examples like that in the manual? Kind of implies that they didn't program a rec-pause-like mode...
So time for a change? I'll check the bug thread...

Offline sunrisemusic

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #302 on: September 25, 2005, 12:40:00 PM »
Yep, saw that too, sounds like that didn't plan for it.  Very unusual to leave out a feature like Rec/Standby.  I did a test tonite at my gig just using the external mic that came with it, and actually it was pretty painless to set the levels while recording and then quickly delete the file before I started to play, but still I'd much prefer to be able to just press one button once, than having to press Rec, then Del, then Del again, and then Rec to set a level and start a recording.  I sure hope they get enough complaints about it to do something about it.  I'd also like to be able to hear/monitor during rec/pause mode.

I also notice some features in the manual that aren't available yet on the MT, so that's a 'nice' clue to know that the firmware update is definitely imminent (I hope!)

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #303 on: September 25, 2005, 01:58:00 PM »
Depending on how much effort M-Audio wants to put into newer firmwares I either want one good update with most of the bugfixes which can wait a week longer or so or a few regular updates with bugfixes and feature requests.

(no one commendted yet on the limiter that is in the ADC; would it be useful enough to be able to limit the few dB's from say -4 to 0 dB with a nice limiting?
Or would it sound like crap? (depending on settings of course, see ADC datasheet; got no experience here))

Offline redled

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #304 on: September 25, 2005, 04:25:21 PM »

for those like me that have an R1 a fastest record  start can be done  if after the boot start ,by :-*   simply hitting twice as quick as you can "  record " (like in  your pc mouse) it is a waste of time waiting to see the slow record blinking

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #305 on: September 25, 2005, 07:43:19 PM »
Has anyone checked to see if the MT can take a consumer AES signal (such as from AES1 on the V3) yet?

I used both the AES1 (set to consumer) and AES2 (always set pro) from my V3 and it recorded the digital stream without a problem.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline chitaper

• Taperssection Regular
  • Taper. Skeptic.
« Reply #306 on: September 25, 2005, 08:29:21 PM »
Has anyone checked to see if the MT can take a consumer AES signal (such as from AES1 on the V3) yet?

I used both the AES1 (set to consumer) and AES2 (always set pro) from my V3 and it recorded the digital stream without a problem.
That's great news! I'd +T you if I had enough posts.  :-X

Offline jbraveman

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #307 on: September 26, 2005, 03:01:47 PM »
Has anyone recorded with the 6GB apple microdrive?  I saw a post that someone had formatted it but not yet recorded to it.  I've used the Hitachi 4gb microdrive without a problem for some living room test recordings at 24/96.  So far I think the recording quality is excellent with phantom and line in -- despite all the other glitches. 4022 > SXM2 > MT is a nice little package  ;)

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #308 on: September 26, 2005, 03:06:44 PM »
Has anyone recorded with the 6GB apple microdrive?  I saw a post that someone had formatted it but not yet recorded to it.  I've used the Hitachi 4gb microdrive without a problem for some living room test recordings at 24/96.  So far I think the recording quality is excellent with phantom and line in -- despite all the other glitches. 4022 > SXM2 > MT is a nice little package  ;)

Yes. I recorded Drop Q(Umphrey's McGee/Fareed Haque Group member's) last night to an Hitachi 6gb microdrive I took out of a Ipod mini. No problems on this run.
db-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #309 on: September 26, 2005, 04:03:39 PM »

Yes. I recorded Drop Q(Umphrey's McGee/Fareed Haque Group member's) last night to an Hitachi 6gb microdrive I took out of a Ipod mini. No problems on this run.
db-

How were the battery runtimes? What sort of external battery did you use, if any?
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline frasermanx

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #310 on: September 26, 2005, 05:27:36 PM »
Yup I am ready for a firmware update on the MT ..gotta be easy enough

Software

I want MONO
I want PAUSE
I want RECORD control
I want playback level control
I want STOP
I want SCRUB on playback

Hardware

I want a stronger case .. metal please
I want faster bootup
I want fast record start
I want passthru input/output  -- maybe this works already .. but a deal breaker if not
I want better mikes
I want battery replacement or external battery pack input (yes a 12v > 110AC can be used with a car lighter power converter)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #311 on: September 26, 2005, 05:41:06 PM »

Software

I want MONO
I want PAUSE
I want RECORD control
I want STOP
I want SCRUB on playback

Hardware

I want faster bootup
I want fast record start
I want passthru input/output  -- maybe this works already .. but a deal breaker if not
I want better mikes
I want battery replacement or external battery pack input (yes a 12v > 110AC can be used with a car lighter power converter)

:lol: <----- whether you're joking, or serious (fat chance on that wish list - it's already in production and a few of your wishes simply won't happen)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #312 on: September 26, 2005, 05:45:24 PM »

db-
How were the battery runtimes? What sort of external battery did you use, if any?

I ran the MT with the interanl battery without phantom power for the duration of the 90minute show. There's plenty of battery life testing being done and posted about in the other thread.
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline musicsherlock

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #313 on: September 27, 2005, 12:34:46 PM »

Software

I want MONO
I want PAUSE
I want RECORD control
I want STOP
I want SCRUB on playback

Hardware

I want faster bootup
I want fast record start
I want better mikes

"You'll get nothing, and like it!"

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #314 on: September 27, 2005, 04:05:14 PM »
+t for the Caddyshack reference, musicsherlock.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com