Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Smallest 4-track recorders available  (Read 9816 times)

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
Re: Smallest 4-track recorders available
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 09:39:39 AM »
I think you have to drop your resolution for 4-tracks, no? Down to 16/48 or 24/48 or something I think?

That's correct.

That said, I've never met anyone who was able to spot the difference between 48 and 96 kHz, let alone with a portable recorder costing a mere 250 euro.

Ralf
Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline optimisticpessimist

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 11:59:03 AM »
Yeah it looks like that's one improvement from the H4 to the H4n.  4Ch recording with the H4 was confined to 16/44.1.  The H4n does up to 24/48 in 4Ch mode, which is what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a way to replace two R-09's with a single recorder, and this may be my answer.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 02:03:35 AM »
I think the smallest 4 track combination is from Core-Sound:

1. Tetra mic single point four channel mic ($1000)

2. 4Mic four-channel, 24/192 mic pre-amp/A-D converter ($900)

The 4Mic can output four individual digital channels (two coax, two optical)
or can multiplex the channels so four mics becomes two digital outputs
for capture by a device with two digital inputs, such as the M-Audio
Microtrack II.

edit:  note that the Microtrack II has one physical digital input, capable of
receiving two channels in digital form
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:46:41 AM by flintstone »

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
The 4Mic can output four individual digital channels (two coax, two optical) or can multiplex the channels so four mics becomes two digital outputs for capture by a device with two digital inputs, such as the M-Audio Microtrack II.

Wait...The Microtrack has two digital inputs? Mine has a single spdif in (rca).
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 10:30:13 AM »
The 4Mic can output four individual digital channels (two coax, two optical) or can multiplex the channels so four mics becomes two digital outputs for capture by a device with two digital inputs, such as the M-Audio Microtrack II.

Wait...The Microtrack has two digital inputs? Mine has a single spdif in (rca).

No, the Microtrack has only one SPDIF input, as do most recorders with a digital input.  Each SPDIF input channel can carry two channels. 

The 4Mic squeezes 4 channels into those available two. Besides being a 4 channel mic preamp and ADC, the 4Mic performs the unique trick of taking the 4 resulting digital signals and mulitplexing them together to form 2 digital signals at twice the sample rate.  That signal can then be recorded by any recorder with a single digital SPIF input which supports a high enough sample rate to record the multiplexed signal. 

So for example, if the 4mic is set to sample the four inputs at 24/48 (I don't know the specs but I assume it does 24bit), you can have it output a single stereo SPDIF stream at 24/96. The recorder just sees and records a 24/96 stereo signal and does it's regular thing.

Then there must be some sort of software that de-multiplexes the signal so that you can retrive the four 24/48 signals again.  The 24/96 multiplexed signal is not usable by itself without decoding.

It's a clever work around and an interesting approach, announced a few years ago as a companion to the tetramic, but I wasn't aware that it ever was released.  Maybe it is now?  No reason it would need to be used with a tetramic, you could use any 4 signal input.

This is sort of the reverse of the S/MUX tech which provided a way to transmit two high sample rate channels via multiple lower sample rate channels through an interface that only supported bit rates of up to 48kHz like LightPipe and ADAT.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 05:32:26 PM »
Here's another one with four mics built in.  Looks like only two external mics can be connected.  Time for a mod that replaces the built-in mic capsules with two mini phone
jacks!

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=131123.0

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 06:47:35 PM »
I'd like a simple R-09 sized 6 track, three stereo inputs, 9v plug in power, quality preamps and no built-in mics, please.  :) 
Would be easily do-able, but a small target market.  :-\
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline optimisticpessimist

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 02:58:23 PM »
I'd like a simple R-09 sized 6 track, three stereo inputs, 9v plug in power, quality preamps and no built-in mics, please.  :) 

QFT

I'm tired of all these units with built in mics.  Almost would like to chop 'em off myself, just to save the space.

Offline srijan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 09:48:55 AM »
You can use four external mics with the H4n: two mics connected to the XLR inputs running on phantom power and another two connected to the 3.5 mm stereo jack beneath the built-in mics. For the 3.5 mm jack, you'd have to use mics running on their own power or plug-in power  or you'd need to connect them through a battery-powered phantom adapter.

Ralf

Hi, I'm looking to buy the h4n and the above post makes the h4n sound like exactly what I was looking for. I'm a bit of a noob - so i'd like to know exactly what adapter cables / attenuators i'd need if i had to use 4 external dynamic mics with the h4n - 4 SM57s for instance. Thanks!

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
The H4N has two XLR mic inputs on the end opposite the built-in mics.
You'll use a standard XLR-XLR cable from the mic to the recorder for
these two inputs.

The H4N has a 1/8" stereo mini phone jack on the back side a couple of
inches below the built in mics.  This is the input for a second pair of
external mics.  The XLR cables from the mics plug into a Y cable adapter
such as this Hosa CYX-401F:
http://www.avalive.com/Hosa-Cables/CYX-401F/46654/productDetail.php

Plugging a cable into the back of the recorder makes it rest unevenly on a
table.  If you're not using a full height tripod, you might want to mount the
recorder on a tabletop tripod or a flexible tripod like the Joby Gorillapod. 
The H4N has a socket for a tripod screw on the back.

Flintstone

Offline srijan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 02:13:29 AM »
Yeah I had seen that, but I'm looking to run two sets of external mics into the same recorder.

You can use four external mics with the H4n: two mics connected to the XLR inputs running on phantom power and another two connected to the 3.5 mm stereo jack beneath the built-in mics. For the 3.5 mm jack, you'd have to use mics running on their own power or plug-in power  or you'd need to connect them through a battery-powered phantom adapter.

I've used my H4n with two stereo bars and two Rode NT-2A on a mic stand for quad channel atmo recordings during our xmas vacation and they've turned out fine.

This is what it looks like:
http://www.fotoralf.de/temp/D-09-12806.jpg

Next, I'll test the version with four external mics using a small portable 12-to-48 V adapter.

If anyone is able to playback Fraunhofer surround MP3s or DTS I could upload an example of Dunkirk harbour noises recorded with this set-up.

Ralf

Has anyone used 4 external dynamic mics with the H4n? can someone please upload soundclips?

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 03:46:55 AM »
Has anyone used 4 external dynamic mics with the H4n? can someone please upload soundclips?

Why dynamic? AFAIK, most folks here use condensors/electret because they are better suited for live music. What's your intended application?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline srijan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 05:02:18 AM »

Why dynamic? AFAIK, most folks here use condensors/electret because they are better suited for live music. What's your intended application?

My intended application is recording live music but I don't currently have access to condensers. I'm going to buy a pair soon, but I need to use the h4n with my sm57s till then.

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 10:45:37 AM »
The H4N will provide 48V phantom power to pro condenser mics through its pair of XLR inputs.  The 1/8" TRS mini phone jack on the back of the recorder provides low voltage "Plug-In Power" rather than phantom power.  So you'll probably need an external battery box to power the condenser mics you connect to the 1/8" jack.  There are plenty of solutions for this, but it makes the rig more cumbersome to set up.

Flintstone

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 11:12:42 AM »
The H4N will provide 48V phantom power to pro condenser mics through its pair of XLR inputs.  The 1/8" TRS mini phone jack on the back of the recorder provides low voltage "Plug-In Power" rather than phantom power.  So you'll probably need an external battery box to power the condenser mics you connect to the 1/8" jack.  There are plenty of solutions for this, but it makes the rig more cumbersome to set up.

Flintstone

but since he's not using condensers, that's generally out the window.

I see the problem with using dynamics as two aspects:

1) You'll need gain. I havn't used the standard issue shures, but ribbon (dynamic) mics typically eat gain for breakfast.
2) You won't have a linear frequency response across the spectrum. Just be aware of it. There isn't anything practical that you can do about it either based on my understanding of dynamic mics. If that doens't bother you, have at, but be aware that it may not sound as you want.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com