Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: POC-DA12SP cable/mini plug reinforcement...  (Read 5043 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
POC-DA12SP cable/mini plug reinforcement...
« on: September 07, 2004, 08:01:30 PM »
I just had to say that Peter K (sleepypedro) had the coolest idea when I asked about trying to prevent the cable kink near the mini plug out connector when stealthing with a JB3.  I took a rubber band as he suggested and wrapped it around the junction and the body of the plug so it made a knob of rubber around the cable connection.  No more stress on that particular spot.  I will post a photograph later but I wanted to share this with others that may have been tripping out on how much stress the cable takes at that point in tight stealthing situations.

Man, the JB3 is awesome!

ANDY

Offline dr.ph0b

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • powpow!
Re: POC-DA12SP cable/mini plug reinforcement...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 01:34:10 PM »
pictures please :)

btw.. just bought a new POC-DA12SP from sony for $85. was here in under a week :)   i had a POC-DA12 that suffered from a short from stress on the plug :(
sold :(  MK4v->KCY->Sonosax SX-M2/LS2->modSBM1->M1
m-s: mk8/mk4v

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 02:02:34 PM »
yes...picture please, i also have the poc-da12sp, and would like to see what you have done. this cable seems really fragile.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 11:00:49 PM »
idea borrowed from how tightly wrapped with rubber my mp2 is in the field.

one to enforce the connection of the right angle 1/8" out to the modSBM, two to enforce the connection of the AC power out to the SLA.

(yes, scott brown, i know i should be using the XLR outs!  but i'm not!   :P )

glad it worked for you andy!

<EDIT:  no one should be singled out and praised for merely suggesting rubber bands or duct tape to solve a problem, ever!  but thanks all the same!>
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 11:09:33 PM by sleepypedro »

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 06:55:53 PM »
Here is a photo

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 10:37:20 PM »
why not just use a right angle adapter???

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 12:00:35 AM »
introducing adapters into the mix has caused spotty results with the jb3, in my experience.

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 03:06:58 PM »
introducing adapters into the mix has caused spotty results with the jb3, in my experience.

Fair enough. I haven't had any trouble out of my right angle Toslink > mini adapter from Sound Pro's ...that is why I asked.

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 05:02:06 AM »
Ashevillain,

What cable do you run,  POC-DA12 > Toslink/mini RA > JB3 ?  Can you upload a photo of the cable/adaptor/JB3? 

ANDY

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 07:43:16 AM »
Ashevillain,

What cable do you run,  POC-DA12 > Toslink/mini RA > JB3 ?  Can you upload a photo of the cable/adaptor/JB3? 

ANDY

I believe it's the POC-DA12P. The Toslink version...I don't have any way to take pictures and get them on my pc...

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 02:00:07 AM »

I agree totally with this statement.  I had one right angle adapter that was flakey from the start, and another one got a crack in it (from mishandling I'm guessing).  Here's the one from Sound Professionals I've been using between the UA5 and the JB3 and it works great.  A little pricey but as long as it lasts for a while I think it's a great investment for increasing both durability and convenience. -drew
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 02:02:37 AM by drewl0o »

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 02:18:51 AM »

I agree totally with this statement.  I had one right angle adapter that was flakey from the start, and another one got a crack in it (from mishandling I'm guessing).  Here's the one from Sound Professionals I've been using between the UA5 and the JB3 and it works great.  A little pricey but as long as it lasts for a while I think it's a great investment for increasing both durability and convenience. -drew

fwiw i have a RS tosling to toslink w/ right angle adapters from bhphoto (one mini and one toslink)[ua5 > JB3], and have had zero issues(cable wise at least).  I keep the mini permanatly attached to the JB3 with a fair amount of gaffers tape.  Previously I had issues on the JB3 end w/o a right angle adapter.

for SBM1 > JB3 id get the toslink 7pin and a rightangle toslink>mini adapter.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 05:00:45 PM »
anyone run into any issues with this cable when the mini-plug other than the reinforcement issue?

I'm strongly considering sbm-1 to njb3, but in another thread it was mentioned that 7 pin to optical cable is not necessarily reliable- but others say it is!

thanks.
~Andrew
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 05:13:32 PM »
anyone run into any issues with this cable when the mini-plug other than the reinforcement issue?

I'm strongly considering sbm-1 to njb3, but in another thread it was mentioned that 7 pin to optical cable is not necessarily reliable- but others say it is!

Well I am one who says it's reliable. Not ideal though. It depends on how you have your gear setup imo. I have everything laying flat and the cable coiled up in a big coil (~ 8") so there's really no stress on any part of the cable. It would be nice to have something shorter and a little stockier.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com