Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What cable are people using for 3.5mm extensions?  (Read 3090 times)

Offline shadowfax1007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
What cable are people using for 3.5mm extensions?
« on: June 25, 2024, 07:20:54 PM »
I'm looking at building a couple of cables for my recording rig, and some of my home setup.
- 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male TRS jumper cables
- 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male TRS extension cable for my AT831 mics when needing longer runs.

I can see a lot of recommendations for cabling for XLR applications but I've not seen too much for small diameter cable for 3.5mm applications. Does anyone have good recommendations? Ideally available from Australian suppliers.
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-CMC-2 (Cardioid & Sub-Cardioid caps)
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni - retired)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What cable are people using for 3.5mm extensions?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 09:09:26 PM »
I'm looking at building a couple of cables for my recording rig, and some of my home setup.
- 3.5mm female to 3.5mm male TRS extension cable for my AT831 mics when needing longer runs.

I can see a lot of recommendations for cabling for XLR applications but I've not seen too much for small diameter cable for 3.5mm applications. Does anyone have good recommendations? Ideally available from Australian suppliers.

I was just dropping a recommendation for Mogami W2944 in another thread. It's the thinnest, lightest balanced cable around and very easy to assemble. Same stuff that's inside their snakes. Super low capacitance, used by pro recording engineers on location. The best part: it's super cheap!
https://toughaudio.com.au/product/mogami-w2944-internal-external-console-wiring-cable/

Keep in mid that it is extremely flexible. If you'd like it to be less so, buy the smallest-diameter Techflex to go over it. I did that for the fanouts on my Mogami snakes just for more protection from use and abuse.

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 01:10:50 AM »

I was just dropping a recommendation for Mogami W2944 in another thread. It's the thinnest, lightest balanced cable around and very easy to assemble. Same stuff that's inside their snakes. Super low capacitance, used by pro recording engineers on location. The best part: it's super cheap!
https://toughaudio.com.au/product/mogami-w2944-internal-external-console-wiring-cable/

Keep in mid that it is extremely flexible. If you'd like it to be less so, buy the smallest-diameter Techflex to go over it. I did that for the fanouts on my Mogami snakes just for more protection from use and abuse.

Looks good!

In your experience is there any issues or concerns with interference, compared to something like quadcore which is more resilient to it?
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline voltronic

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 11:06:21 AM »

Looks good!

In your experience is there any issues or concerns with interference, compared to something like quadcore which is more resilient to it?

I've never had any interference issues with it. If you want the cable that's most resistant to interference without high capacitance, my other favorite cable is Gotham GAC-3. It was found to be the best performing cable in this study. This is more of your typical stage mic cable feel, but a little thinner than typical mic or instrument cable. When you assemble, you need to take some wires from each of the two shields along with the green wire, and tie all of those to Pin 1 to get the increased rejection advantage.

If interference is a serious concern where you are operating, I would go with GAC-3.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 05:10:11 PM »
In my experience, the fewer connectors one has between the microphones and the preamp, or the preamp and the recorder, the better.  Connections can become loose and introduce static.  I would recommend a custom single cable rather than any extension cord.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline voltronic

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2024, 10:12:37 PM »
In my experience, the fewer connectors one has between the microphones and the preamp, or the preamp and the recorder, the better.  Connections can become loose and introduce static.  I would recommend a custom single cable rather than any extension cord.

Agreed.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2024, 11:31:49 PM »

Agreed.

Unfortunately I don't think it's viable getting the AT831s recabled for a sake of an extra metre or so. If I throw an extension on, I can tape the joint together for stability and be done with it.
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com