Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Auto-Align Post 2 by Sound Radix  (Read 2171 times)

Offline boomfizzle

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Auto-Align Post 2 by Sound Radix
« on: March 13, 2023, 12:56:41 PM »
https://www.soundradix.com/products/auto-align-post/

Curious if anyone has tried this yet for our use case.  I played around with the trial on their original Auto-Align software and was pretty impressed.  I'm holding off on downloading this 14-day trial as I have some work coming up at the end of the month that I'm hoping to try it out on.  Full version isn't cheap ($360 on Thomann's website is lowest I can find) but there's an off chance this could save (me, at least) a LOT of time dialing in mixes, especially with varying mic distances.  If I don't hear back, I'll come back to this thread with my impressions once I've had a chance to put the trial version through some paces.
Mics: Busman BSC-1 | Nak CM300s | AKG C1000s | AKG C568 EBs | AT853s 4.7k mod | AT2021s | Superlux S502mkii | Superscope EC-3S | Superscope EC-33S | SP-MS-BMC-3 |
Recs: Zoom F8n Pro | Tascam DR-70D | Zoom H6 | Tascam DR-22WL

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Auto-Align Post 2 by Sound Radix
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 09:32:03 AM »
I have only used the (regular) Auto-align 2 plugin - not Auto-align Post 2 - for a 6-channel project (2xSBD + 4xAUD) last week. It was a bit of a pain until I had figured out how to integrate it in Samplitude Pro X5 - but eventually I made it work. The plugin managed to clean up the recording and align the sources perfectly. The difference to my manually aligned mix isn't huge but definitely noticeable.

Re. the two versions: If I understand correctly, "Post" is for location sound with *moving* Lavalier microphones (even though it also has a "static" mode) while the cheaper Auto-align 2 is intended for *stationary* microphones *only*.

In other words: For open taping purposes, the regular version should be good enough to align the tracks and eliminate phasing and comb filtering. It's also about half the price of Auto-align Post 2.
If your stealth taping and moving during the show though, Auto Align Post 2 might be the better option. But this probably isn't a common scenario unless security are after you or you have to take an urgent bathroom break (in which case I'd recommend you pause recording anyways)...

Offline boomfizzle

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 10:06:45 AM »
I used up the Trial Period and the company was good enough to extend another 2 weeks as I was having some issues around syncing two recordings made on different clocks (Zoom F8n Pro and Zoom H6).  I found that once I trimmed the clips so that they were close to the same length, Auto Align Post2 did an incredible job.

I only used the dynamic mode on that one source; once I had it aligned to the other ones, I used Fixed alignment for the rest of them.  I like how you can decide exactly which source to align to which, and how you'd like that done.
I played around with their original Auto Align software and it's pretty good but I definitely prefer the simplicity and power of this Post version.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for a sale, as $400 would take a lot of amateur recordings to make it worth it but now that I've used it, I may be spoiled forever.

If you have a show to align that you think may have weird phase or alignment issues, I'd definitely recommend giving the trial version a shot.  It's honestly one of the first tools I've ever found for our use case that seems to be more appropriate than plugins made for making music live.
Mics: Busman BSC-1 | Nak CM300s | AKG C1000s | AKG C568 EBs | AT853s 4.7k mod | AT2021s | Superlux S502mkii | Superscope EC-3S | Superscope EC-33S | SP-MS-BMC-3 |
Recs: Zoom F8n Pro | Tascam DR-70D | Zoom H6 | Tascam DR-22WL

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 10:39:02 AM »
+T sounds like could be well worth the money!
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com