Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HDMI is wayyy better then RCA  (Read 6209 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
HDMI is wayyy better then RCA
« on: December 27, 2007, 09:07:45 PM »
i know everyone knows that hdmi is better but i never noticed how much better the audio is till today
untill today the only thing i had with hdmi is my surround/upconvert dvd player
(my hd box doesn't have hdmi out)
so anyway i notcied that the audio for dvds was much louder and clearer
what i noticed today though was its not the dvds its the hdmi because i got a tivo hd and even sd tv run through the hdmi is loud and clear
do yourself a favor if you have hdmi use it, makes me wish now that my hd box had hdmi

picture wise it looks the same right now because i don't have the cables cards for the tivo till tomorrow, but i am sure i will get better picture then too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: HDMI is wayyy better then RCA
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 08:13:29 AM »
I have three HDMI ports on my tv and I despise HDMI...why?  Because the freggin' cables keep slipping out.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 09:19:40 AM »
I have three HDMI ports on my tv and I despise HDMI...why?  Because the freggin' cables keep slipping out.

I never understood why they made the HDMI cable connector without some sort of locking mechanism.  I have a couple cables from bettercables.com that are pretty beefy and pinned into place by other components or the wall on the back of my tv so they won't move, but otherwise they'd be all over the place.

i know everyone knows that hdmi is better but i never noticed how much better the audio is till today
untill today the only thing i had with hdmi is my surround/upconvert dvd player
(my hd box doesn't have hdmi out)
so anyway i notcied that the audio for dvds was much louder and clearer
what i noticed today though was its not the dvds its the hdmi because i got a tivo hd and even sd tv run through the hdmi is loud and clear
do yourself a favor if you have hdmi use it, makes me wish now that my hd box had hdmi

picture wise it looks the same right now because i don't have the cables cards for the tivo till tomorrow, but i am sure i will get better picture then too

The Audio quality will depend on the quality of the DAC in your components vs the TV, using HDMI passes a digi signal to your TV which then does the DAC process, going DVD analog out > TV uses the DAC in your DVD player.  HDMI is basically the old DVI interface bundled with digital audio into a single cable.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Sheed

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 10:34:26 AM »
perhaps a silly question, but one thing i'd like to get clarified if possible and it pertains to these hdmi cables -

i want to get one of the sound bars for my hdtv, i have 2 very young children and the less wires the better.  however i also want to get a dvd player that has the hdmi upconversion.  the sound bars that i have found(yamaha, polk, etc) don't appear to have hdmi connections.  so, will i not be able to use the soundbar in conjunction with a upconverting dvd player?  that make any sense?  the TV i have has a speaker that i can actually remove so i was hoping to remove it entirely and just use the soundbar at all times. 

i also have a hd/dvr box from verizon which does have hdmi into the tv, don't know if that matters. 

thanks.
I love you like a fat kid love cake

Offline willndmb

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:48:03 AM »
i have never had trouble with the hdmi coming out, maybe luck--but that would def piss me off

how is verizon tv? fios right not the dish
i can;t wait to get it here we only have phone and internet
do you know if the verizon hd box has firewire out thats active?
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 10:58:19 AM »
perhaps a silly question, but one thing i'd like to get clarified if possible and it pertains to these hdmi cables -

i want to get one of the sound bars for my hdtv, i have 2 very young children and the less wires the better.  however i also want to get a dvd player that has the hdmi upconversion.  the sound bars that i have found(yamaha, polk, etc) don't appear to have hdmi connections.  so, will i not be able to use the soundbar in conjunction with a upconverting dvd player?  that make any sense?  the TV i have has a speaker that i can actually remove so i was hoping to remove it entirely and just use the soundbar at all times. 

i also have a hd/dvr box from verizon which does have hdmi into the tv, don't know if that matters. 

thanks.

sheed - i am pretty sure that those bars require an amp/receiver...

dvd player -> hdmi out to receiver
verizon box -> hdmi out to receiver

the receiver would need to have two hdmi inputs, and will have one hdmi output, which will connect to your tv. if you want the speaker bar, then the 5.1 speaker outputs (all 6 pairs of them) from the receiver go to the speaker bar, or you can send only 5 to the bar, and get a subwoofer and send the last pair to it (subwoofer would be on the floor, though you can mount them in the ceiling if you want)...

hth

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 10:59:11 AM »

thanks.

You may have a few options, my TV (panny plasma) has a TOSlink opitcal output so you can go HDMI from cable and or DVD > TV > optical > Soundbar... it looks like some of the high end soundbars (yamaha ysp-4000) has HDMI input/output so then you'd be all set, plug the HDMI sources into the soundbar and have them output to the TV.  The polk one I saw looked to be passive and only had speaker level inputs (ie. no integrated amp), but I didn't dig too far.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Sheed

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 11:13:58 AM »
i have never had trouble with the hdmi coming out, maybe luck--but that would def piss me off

i have the verizon fios for tv/phone/internet and so far it's been ok overall, big internet problems but that's another story.  i had comcast before and the biggest gripe i have with verizon TV is the on demand content.  comcast had a ton of free movies and also some good concerts/music docs for free whereas verizon has pretty much nothing(unless i'm searching incorrectly).  really not a big deal though and otherwise it's been great. 

i don't know about the firewire out on the hd box but i can say that i think it's the same box as i got from comcast, a grey motorola.  don't know if that helps!

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 11:16:34 AM »

Take a look over at AVSforum.com, you should be able to find out a ton of info about what a particular box is capable of; what is enabled in what areas, etc.

Offline Sheed

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 11:23:04 AM »

thanks.

You may have a few options, my TV (panny plasma) has a TOSlink opitcal output so you can go HDMI from cable and or DVD > TV > optical > Soundbar... it looks like some of the high end soundbars (yamaha ysp-4000) has HDMI input/output so then you'd be all set, plug the HDMI sources into the soundbar and have them output to the TV.  The polk one I saw looked to be passive and only had speaker level inputs (ie. no integrated amp), but I didn't dig too far.

cool, thanks.  i did note that the ysp-4000 had hdmi but that is way too pricey for me.  i have a lowend tv, it's a vizio lcd 42" but it's suites my needs and i don't freak out when my 2 year old throws a ball off it or other various toys.  plus i got it as a gift so the price was unbeatable.

macdaddy - i think quite a few of the soundbars i was looking at actually do have amps built in but i'll dig some more.  philips even makes a soundbar that has a built in hd upconverting dvd player.  that would be perfect except i want/need a dvd recorder so i can transfer the loads of videotapes i have to dvd(never could get that working on my damn pc). 

Offline willndmb

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 11:40:34 AM »

Take a look over at AVSforum.com, you should be able to find out a ton of info about what a particular box is capable of; what is enabled in what areas, etc.
yeah the problem is, at least here and with twc, no one ever seems to know what they are talkng about
i have had 3 boxes from twc all supposedly firewire enabled and none have been
in fact it took me about 5 people to get someone on the phone who even knew what firewire was
finally they flat out told me they don't enable boxes without some copy pretection thing because they don't want to get sued

so anyways i went tivo hd and can transfer wirelessly instead and in the long run will save me money i hope

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 11:48:31 AM »

thanks.

You may have a few options, my TV (panny plasma) has a TOSlink opitcal output so you can go HDMI from cable and or DVD > TV > optical > Soundbar... it looks like some of the high end soundbars (yamaha ysp-4000) has HDMI input/output so then you'd be all set, plug the HDMI sources into the soundbar and have them output to the TV.  The polk one I saw looked to be passive and only had speaker level inputs (ie. no integrated amp), but I didn't dig too far.

cool, thanks.  i did note that the ysp-4000 had hdmi but that is way too pricey for me.  i have a lowend tv, it's a vizio lcd 42" but it's suites my needs and i don't freak out when my 2 year old throws a ball off it or other various toys.  plus i got it as a gift so the price was unbeatable.

macdaddy - i think quite a few of the soundbars i was looking at actually do have amps built in but i'll dig some more.  philips even makes a soundbar that has a built in hd upconverting dvd player.  that would be perfect except i want/need a dvd recorder so i can transfer the loads of videotapes i have to dvd(never could get that working on my damn pc). 

nice, i wish someone would give me a TV  :)

You can probably use coax or optical to go to the soundbar from your DVD/Cable, run the HDMI to the tv for your video signal, and your digi cables to the soundbar for audio... just another thought.

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 04:13:56 PM »

thanks.

nice, i wish someone would give me a TV  :)

You can probably use coax or optical to go to the soundbar from your DVD/Cable, run the HDMI to the tv for your video signal, and your digi cables to the soundbar for audio... just another thought.

Ding, Ding, Ding!  This is what I do between my HD-DVR box, 42" Panny plasma and my Yamaha YSP-900.  Works well; I haven't noticed any latency issues going this route.   
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.272 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com