Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)

<< < (2/115) > >>

vwmule:
> However, why did they make it look like a real Zoomie? :-)

Yeah, pretty ugly. Hopefully it would look better in person.

Walstib62:

--- Quote from: heathen on April 09, 2019, 05:05:52 PM ---How, if at all, is the 32 bit capability helpful for those of us who record loud concerts (as opposed to film dialog, nature sounds, acoustic music, etc)?

--- End quote ---

There are reports of folks having issues with clipping, (or brickwalling, as some call it) at the recorder stage. This would at least eliminate clipping at that part of the recording chain.

illconditioned:
Wow.  Looks like a drone controller.
Zoom is always innovating.
I have the Zoom F1.  My first one broke (usb connector), but it is so good I bough another.Likes: locking  1/8" mic connectors, phantom powerAlso acts as soundcard on USB.
Dislikes: USB connector breaks.  Now hotmeltglue'd into place.

heathen:

--- Quote from: Sebastian on April 09, 2019, 05:11:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: heathen on April 09, 2019, 05:05:52 PM ---How, if at all, is the 32 bit capability helpful for those of us who record loud concerts (as opposed to film dialog, nature sounds, acoustic music, etc)?

--- End quote ---

Not having to worry about setting levels sounds like the best thing since sliced bread to me. Especially for live shows where there's usually a lot of guesswork involved.

--- End quote ---

I guess I don't understand this.  How does it alleviate the need to set levels?

jerryfreak:

--- Quote from: Sebastian on April 09, 2019, 05:11:42 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Not having to worry about setting levels sounds like the best thing since sliced bread to me. Especially for live shows where there's usually a lot of guesswork involved.

--- End quote ---

there is zero advantage to recording at 32 bit (192dB of data) vs 24 bit (144 dB of data). the best analog gear in the world is only approaching 21 bits (126 dB of data). Mics have less resolution than that.

you can already record with 24 bit and make nice recordings peaking at -30 to -20 dB with the right gear

now processing is a different animal, most DAWs use 32bit by default for that

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version