Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade R44 super Mod vs Concert Mod  (Read 13739 times)

Offline jim1274

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Oade R44 super Mod vs Concert Mod
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2008, 10:36:36 PM »
Thanks for the cable length suggestions from those who have learned through experience--something I lack.  Now I see tapers typically just put the recorders on the ground by the stand base--keep in the case for security and protection I suspect.  Any suggestions on a source for the "cheapo" cables?  I'll probably need those at some point anyway when experimenting with quad recording--"el cheapo" is probably sufficient for the rear fill channels (especially since they will likely be el cheapo mics)

One question always leads to another.....

Anybody seen a nice clean way to maybe mount/strap/rig the recorder to the bottom of the stand?  that seems like a viable idea--weight down and lower the center of gravity of the stand, making it less likely to topple, plus getting the recorder away from "happy feet"

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2008, 11:23:50 PM »
I used to have the Sabra-Som ST2 Mount and I found it to be quite problematic. The plastic mic mounts were very flimsy and they are held in place by tiny screws and very tiny plastic shims which fall out very easily and are difficult to put back together (and locate after they hit the floor). I would recommend the riser recommended by newplanet7 from B&H and the 3/8" female to 5/8" adapter (also from B&H) along with the K&M (or is it AKG) H50 Stereo Bar. It is rock solid and with the riser will easily accommodate the most popular stereo configs. Also, the Shure S15 (I think that is the model) is a very solid stand. It is a bit pricey but very heavy duty and will last you a lifetime. Best of luck, have fun, and, as I am sure you have been told, check your wallet at the door. ;D

http://www.micsupply.com/standaccessories.htm

about halfway down the page

« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 11:38:25 PM by Kyle »
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2008, 11:37:27 PM »
Thanks for the cable length suggestions from those who have learned through experience--something I lack.  Now I see tapers typically just put the recorders on the ground by the stand base--keep in the case for security and protection I suspect.  Any suggestions on a source for the "cheapo" cables?  I'll probably need those at some point anyway when experimenting with quad recording--"el cheapo" is probably sufficient for the rear fill channels (especially since they will likely be el cheapo mics)

One question always leads to another.....

Anybody seen a nice clean way to maybe mount/strap/rig the recorder to the bottom of the stand?  that seems like a viable idea--weight down and lower the center of gravity of the stand, making it less likely to topple, plus getting the recorder away from "happy feet"

I think attaching the gear bag to the stand is possible but I prefer to keep my bag 'nestled' between the legs of the stand. It can easily be moved if needed and no motion is introduced to the stand if you need to open or close the lid, bump it when checking/adjusting levels, fish something out of one of the pockets, etc...

I duct tape my stand to the floor (or whatever is available) as soon as I set it up. Easiest way I can think of to stop it from being knocked over if someone bumps it or grabs onto it for support. I keep the bag at the base and keep a vigilant guard over it throughout the show.

15' to 20' cables should be plenty, with a longer set in the bag as a spare if something goes down, you need to run the bag a distance from the stand, running split omni's, etc...
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008, 12:32:12 AM »
I duct tape my stand to the floor (or whatever is available) as soon as I set it up. Easiest way I can think of to stop it from being knocked over if someone bumps it or grabs onto it for support. I keep the bag at the base and keep a vigilant guard over it throughout the show.

taping glow sticks or glow strings to the three legs is also something to consider (especially if you've got reusable ones).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2008, 01:52:35 AM »
Lighting the tripod legs in some fashion sounds interesting--"warning lights".

I already figured a roll of duct tape in a gear bag is essential--tape the tripod legs, cables running to another mic stand, the SB, etc...

Already ruled out the Sabra mount---newplanet7 scheme looked nice--will scope out the H50 bar and Shure S15 in the morning. 

Been at this forum for 18 hours almost non-stop.....

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2008, 11:27:09 AM »
I kind of hijacked this thread, but back on-topic:

I'm ordering the stock R-44 unit from Doug today.  The pricing is a little different than I deduced from his emails, but actually better than expected for a stock unit.  The premium over the deep-discounters is modest, and WELL worth it to do business with a community member.  It will be a little more (even beyond shipping cost) to have it modified later compared to now , which is fair and as expected.  I don't think it is appropriate or fair to Doug to put specific pricing in a public thread, but definitely contact him for a R-44 stock unit if ever wanted.   Maybe, once I get a chance to use it for a while,  I can ship to a mod unit owner for an A/B test and get to the bottom of stock vs mod?   Least I can do to repay the forum for the support I've received the last few days.

Project R-44 update:

My rig is coming together nicely, with just A) the tripod + mounting hardware and B) Darktrain + generic back-up cable lengths to finalize.  Home stretch...

This is not the place for a tripod debate, BUT, since Kyle threw out the Shure S15 as a candidate.....

Anybody had personal experience with both the Manfrotto 3336 and Shure S15?  If so, did you think the Shure S15 was worth the extra bucks?

Kyle threw that S15 in the mix, but was kind enough to add "as I am sure you have been told, check your wallet at the door."....that saying is prophetic....

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2008, 02:14:34 PM »
I'm looking forward to giving mine a workout in the next month or two.

It's kind of fun getting back down to 2-4 channel recording.  The big multitrack stuff was starting to get a little stressful!
Exactly!  When it becomes stressful, we (tapers) need to know when to simplify.  Easier said than done, though.  All it takes it one great sounding recording to get you back in the game full tilt.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2008, 03:51:17 PM »
All it takes it one great sounding recording to get you back in the game full tilt.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=521145

:D
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2008, 05:18:42 PM »
I personally wouldn't strap the bag up off the ground because at some point in time it's apt to crash to the ground and possibly damage or break your gear.  The best option as someone already mentioned is to keep it between the legs of your stand.  You should also get a good bag that allows you to run your recorder (and a preamp if you might add one later) without removing it from the bag.  Many of the nicer bags have a window at the top of the bag that allows you to monitor your recorder levels, while also protecting everything against beer spills, cigararette ashes, etc.  The bag will protect your gear from feet, but the best protection for gear is to stand as close as possible to your stand during the gig.

If I'm setup out in the open, say during an outdoor show, I'm really diligent about standing right up close to my stuff anyway.  Oftentimes, a drunk dude will come by and they like to grab onto the stand to stabilize themselves.  Hell, numbnuts will do that even if they're not drunk!  Stand close and when someone tries to push their way through a crowd, stand your ground and DO NOT budge away from your stand.  I get dirty looks for being so impolite regarding not giving way in a crowd, but that's the way it is when you're trying to protect several grand worth of gear.

Offline nottingham

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Member
  • There's wisemen hiding in the mountains
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2008, 06:05:44 PM »
I modified my stand with a solid base so the drunk dude can grab the stand instead of tripping on one of the legs before he can grab it ;D For the gals that want to use it for a strip pole, well it can be a sacrifice (casualty of war).
Schoeps MK4-MK41>cmc6/Nbob actives/Naiant LB/Naiant TB > Sony M10/PMD620

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2008, 06:39:46 PM »
...the best protection for gear is to stand as close as possible to your stand during the gig.

If I'm setup out in the open, say during an outdoor show, I'm really diligent about standing right up close to my stuff anyway.  Oftentimes, a drunk dude will come by and they like to grab onto the stand to stabilize themselves.  Hell, numbnuts will do that even if they're not drunk!  Stand close and when someone tries to push their way through a crowd, stand your ground and DO NOT budge away from your stand...

I'm crying tears of truth!

[adding to my signature]

People also love to come stand right next to your equipment and hold beers over it, or if outside, set them down next to your gear 'for protection' so the beer doesn't get knocked over on the uneven ground.

"No, it's not all good, brah."
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 06:42:23 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jim1274

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2008, 07:31:31 PM »
Agreed that bag "protected" under the tripod is the obvious solution...in retrospect.....

I was JUST looking at the Lowepro web site when taking a break to check developments on this thread.  

I like the "window" bag idea a LOT!

I looked through a bunch of threads on gear bags---thought that would be easy and an afterthought!  NO WAY!  There were a few from the threads that caught my eye (those "window" bags refer to the Sonicase--other "top window" choices beyond them?)

Lowepro seems popular and has a LOT of choices.  That Targus Slam looked like a pretty good value in that syle bag.

Since I don't have all the gear in hand, I'm having a hard time getting my arms around the best size for my rig--can anyone give general suggestions on some short-list choices to look at for my gear volume?

Need room for my R-44, Busman BSC1's (I'd keep them in their box then in the bag??), maybe 3 mic cables (10-25' mix), the mic stand hardware that newplanet 7 suggested, plus enough expansion room for a second mic set since this is a 4 channel recorder and who-knows-what-else-I'll accumulate category.

Thought one of my old SLR bags would do...they are not going to be big enough.....

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »
can anyone give general suggestions on some short-list choices to look at for my gear volume?

Petrol PEGZ-2

In mine I have:

2 sets of mics in a Pelican 1060
Sonosax preamp
Apogee Mini Me (coming soon, shelf reserved for it though)
R44 + Impact battery system
2 sets of mounts
windscreens
2 tbars
clamp
2 pairs of cables
accessories (flashlight, tools, etc)
gaffers tape

It's stuffed like a christmas turkey, but it's all in there and by this time next week I'll have it fully wired so that nothing ever has to come out of the bag.

I've tried the Lowepros, the Sonicase and a number of other bags and this is hands down the best bag I've ever used.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2008, 07:51:53 PM »
All it takes it one great sounding recording to get you back in the game full tilt.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=521145

:D

Holy shit, that's a great sounding recording! Nice!!
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2008, 08:06:51 PM »

I like the "window" bag idea a LOT!

I looked through a bunch of threads on gear bags---thought that would be easy and an afterthought!  NO WAY!  There were a few from the threads that caught my eye (those "window" bags refer to the Sonicase--other "top window" choices beyond them?)

I'm sure there are more but off the top of my head I can think of the Portabrace AudioOrganizers (AO series) and several Kata models besides the Sonic Case.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com