Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How reliable is the microtracker?  (Read 15709 times)

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: How reliable is the microtracker?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 10:53:22 AM »
I had a problem with the digital input on mine.  I only used it about 10 times or so.  Now, the digital input is all static.  I've tried several different things like different cables, different sources, etc, and the problem is definitely the coax jack on the MT.  The analog inputs appear to still work fine.  I don't know what the problem is and I don't plan to research it either, as this issue made me decide to make the jump to an R-4, so I have no need for the MT anymore.  It worked fine for the 10 times I used it before it crapped out. 

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 11:45:22 AM »
I had a problem with the digital input on mine.  I only used it about 10 times or so.  Now, the digital input is all static.  I've tried several different things like different cables, different sources, etc, and the problem is definitely the coax jack on the MT.  The analog inputs appear to still work fine.  I don't know what the problem is and I don't plan to research it either, as this issue made me decide to make the jump to an R-4, so I have no need for the MT anymore.  It worked fine for the 10 times I used it before it crapped out. 

NJFunk, make sure the cable is plugged in all the way.  I've noticed if it doesn't get all the way in, it doesn't work.  Also, make sure it is a size that will actually plug in.  Other than that, why invest so much money and not even try to get it repaired if that is the problem?

Recommending a $1400 replacement for a $400 new recroder...  ::)

Seems for such a large issue you didn't say much about it in the past.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 11:57:00 AM by JoeKiller »
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 12:59:02 PM »

NJFunk, make sure the cable is plugged in all the way.  I've noticed if it doesn't get all the way in, it doesn't work.  Also, make sure it is a size that will actually plug in.  Other than that, why invest so much money and not even try to get it repaired if that is the problem?

I tested all that.  It was plugged in all the way and the cable does actually fit (I may be dumb, but I'm not that dumb...). As for the cables, I only had one possible coax cable that plugged directly in to the unit, but it was a cheap cable from guitar center that I had problems with in the past.  I only used this for maybe 2 or 3 shows.  Then I bought a right angle connector from Rat Shack that also fit the plug.  This allowed me to use any coax cable with the unit.  I used this setup successfully for maybe 8 shows or so.  Then it stopped working.  I tried different cables with the conenctor and the one spotty cable without.  Nothing worked.  I used the connector on my DA-P1 to make sure that it wasn't both the connector and the cheap cable (even though the problems with them were completely different).  It is definitely the MT.

I didn't complain about it because I was reading about the R4 that had just come out, and I really wanted that (I was doing mostly matrixes with a UA-5 > MT setup, and to be able to record 4 tracks by themselves was quite appealing to me), so I just upgraded and moved on.  I saw this thread and thought I'd weigh in with my experience.  You can do whatever you want with the information.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 01:17:36 PM »
I tried different cables with the conenctor and the one spotty cable without.  Nothing worked.  I used the connector on my DA-P1 to make sure that it wasn't both the connector and the cheap cable (even though the problems with them were completely different).  It is definitely the MT.

I suspect the RCA connector came loose from the board due to lateral stress, much like happens on the R-09 mini-input connector.  Probably an easy fix if you open it up and are good with a soldering iron.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 01:28:51 PM »
I tried different cables with the conenctor and the one spotty cable without.  Nothing worked.  I used the connector on my DA-P1 to make sure that it wasn't both the connector and the cheap cable (even though the problems with them were completely different).  It is definitely the MT.

I suspect the RCA connector came loose from the board due to lateral stress, much like happens on the R-09 mini-input connector.  Probably an easy fix if you open it up and are good with a soldering iron.

Soldering is a skill I've been meaning to learn for a long time...

Offline shruggy1987

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »
i have run the microtrack for more than a year now, both analog in and bit bucket @ 24/48.  i have used the same 6GB hitatchi microdrive since day 1.  both the unit and the drive have never had a problem that wasn't caused by me pressing the wrong button at the wrong time.  i never worry about it running out of batteries because i run it with an external 5V USB power supply that runs off of 4AAs.  its been solid for me, and i don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.

SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2007, 04:11:24 PM »

I tested all that.  It was plugged in all the way and the cable does actually fit (I may be dumb, but I'm not that dumb...). As for the cables, I only had one possible coax cable that plugged directly in to the unit, but it was a cheap cable from guitar center that I had problems with in the past.  I only used this for maybe 2 or 3 shows.  Then I bought a right angle connector from Rat Shack that also fit the plug.  This allowed me to use any coax cable with the unit.  I used this setup successfully for maybe 8 shows or so.  Then it stopped working.  I tried different cables with the conenctor and the one spotty cable without.  Nothing worked.  I used the connector on my DA-P1 to make sure that it wasn't both the connector and the cheap cable (even though the problems with them were completely different).  It is definitely the MT.

I didn't complain about it because I was reading about the R4 that had just come out, and I really wanted that (I was doing mostly matrixes with a UA-5 > MT setup, and to be able to record 4 tracks by themselves was quite appealing to me), so I just upgraded and moved on.  I saw this thread and thought I'd weigh in with my experience.  You can do whatever you want with the information.

Thanks for the info man.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 08:09:16 AM »
I've had one from the beginning and I use it as a bit bucket, never ran analog in...

Agree with most of the previous comments, early firmware was whacked but these latest are solid, no 2g split but not a big deal for me, the need to run an external battery pack again not that big a deal for me, use a CF card as the microdrive are power hogs, oh and the digi input requires a cable housing small enough to fit (see a hosa cable)...

Other than some early firmware issues and user error the MT is worth the 300 bucks or so imho. What other device gives you a digi input in this price range ?
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 09:26:06 AM »
I too have used mine as a bit bucket for over a year.  Never used the analog input.  Have had no problems other than myself. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 09:31:19 AM »

Brian,

Do you know how to open this unit up?  I was looking for a screw or something last night, but I did not find any.  Thanks.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 09:42:55 AM »
Do you know how to open this unit up?  I was looking for a screw or something last night, but I did not find any.  Thanks.

I do not.  I vaguely recall Neutrino posting about opening his up, including pics of the innards, but I can't find it at the moment.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »

I do not.  I vaguely recall Neutrino posting about opening his up, including pics of the innards, but I can't find it at the moment.

-t What good are you then? 

Just kidding.  Thanks anyway, I'll look for that thread when I get home from work tonight.

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2007, 10:05:14 AM »
I remember the opening of a unit.  I think it was when it was thought that you might be able to put a bigger or better battery in the unit. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2007, 06:17:07 PM »
I've used the MT for over a year now.  I've taped probably 40 shows total.  I've never had a single problem using as is a 24/48 bit bucket off my V3. Rock solid from the start for me.  Oh, and I highly recommend any 4xAA USB batt pack.  Power has never been a worry.

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2007, 08:37:59 PM »
Where did you get the 4 AA USB battery pack?
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com