Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Recorder: Edirol R-44 (available 4/08)  (Read 14215 times)

Offline vegas06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: New Recorder: Edirol R-44 (available 4/08)
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 03:33:15 PM »
Actually street price should be $795 (not $895) according to sources at Edirol.

easy jim

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 03:38:37 PM »
Can anyone with 'sources at Edirol' get the answer to the two questions we're all clamoring to know?

1) Is the s/pdif in bit perfect/sample accurate?  (If not, why is it even there?)

2) Is simultaneous digital + analog recording possible (w/ clock sync to the digital in)?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 04:44:44 PM »
Can anyone with 'sources at Edirol' get the answer to the two questions we're all clamoring to know?

1) Is the s/pdif in bit perfect/sample accurate?  (If not, why is it even there?)

2) Is simultaneous digital + analog recording possible (w/ clock sync to the digital in)?

While i'd love to know the answer to these questions I would be surprised if the answers to both questions is yes.  Both of those features are cornerstones of the R4 Pro when compared to the regular R4.  I can't imagine that they'd go that far into a $2000 product with a possible $800 product.  Then again........

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 04:48:47 PM »
^^^^
Yep, those were my first thoughts on seeing this.

Hmmmm.

Good size, very nice price.  I may well be in for one.  Too bad it won't be in time for Springfest.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 05:19:34 PM »
Actually street price should be $795 (not $895) according to sources at Edirol.

Actually, MSRP will be $895 and MAP will be $795, according to Edirol.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

easy jim

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 05:47:11 PM »

While i'd love to know the answer to these questions I would be surprised if the answers to both questions is yes.  Both of those features are cornerstones of the R4 Pro when compared to the regular R4.  I can't imagine that they'd go that far into a $2000 product with a possible $800 product.  Then again........

Very good point, although I hope you're wrong.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 05:51:22 PM »

No you don't hope that i'm worng.  Because if i'm not then you and I both have a $2000+ box worth $795

easy jim

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 05:54:06 PM »

No you don't hope that i'm worng.  Because if i'm not then you and I both have a $2000+ box worth $795

Well...true enough.  Though the HD does make some difference (how positive I'm not totally sure). 

I wonder if AES/EBU vs. s/pdif for Edirol has something to do with it?  If I had to choose, I'd go AES over s/pdif (especially now that digital SBDs are proliferating).

Roving Sign

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 06:25:34 PM »

Dont the R-4 and R-4 have a lot of editing features, effects...etc - that the R-44 doesnt? Probably some money wrapped up in those elements...

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 06:40:18 PM »

Dont the R-4 and R-4 have a lot of editing features, effects...etc - that the R-44 doesnt? Probably some money wrapped up in those elements...

Correct.  They do have some onboard editing features but they are far down the list of features.   

Pictures and the brochure are now online:

http://www.edirol.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=314&Itemid=438

Roving Sign

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 06:57:24 PM »
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 07:01:35 PM by Roving Sign »

easy jim

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 07:01:08 PM »
Anyone garner anything from the block diagram?

http://www.edirol.com/images/stories/products/r44/r-44_block_diagram.pdf

Not enough to be sure, but I just compared it to the one for the R-4 Pro and it looks the same with respect to digital I/O.  I also noticed that they do not seem to use digi+analog as a selling point in the 'brochure' for the R-4 Pro... :hmmm:  Jury's probably still out until they release the PDF of the manual.

Roving Sign

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 07:01:54 PM »

If I read that correctly - It looks like the "trim" control is analog and the "level" is happening in the digital side?

easy jim

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 07:14:54 PM »

If I read that correctly - It looks like the "trim" control is analog and the "level" is happening in the digital side?

Same as the R-4 Pro.  Digitally controlled 'gain' or 'level' in 6dB steps using the outer knob/pot and a variable control analog 'trim' pot in the middle that is +/- 8dB with +0dB at 12 o'clock.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 11:11:56 PM »
this baby will run on a dvd battery too correct
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.183 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com