Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FLAC player app for iphone  (Read 9942 times)

Offline ajg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Bumbles Blog
FLAC player app for iphone
« on: October 10, 2020, 09:28:14 AM »
What can you recommend to play downloaded flac files through an app on your iphone?  And is there a desktop interface where you can manage and edit the files. 
Currently i subscribe to Google Play and store my library there.  However they are transitioning soon to Youtube Music and I don't like the way their music storage works.  From what I can tell there isn't really a way to upload and edit music like there is in Google Play.  I like to have the albums (live shows) organized a certain way and sometimes I need to edit the albums/songs and Google Play allows for that. 
Thank you.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: FLAC player app for iphone
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 11:13:29 AM »
VLC, same as I would suggest for Mac, linux, windows, or Droid.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 09:40:18 AM »
Ive used VOX on iphone /iOS

the free version seems to work fine
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 03:33:04 PM »
I used Flac Player on my Ipod.  I was happy with it.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/flac-player/id390532592

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 04:06:27 PM »
Onkyo HF Player! If you buy the $10 add on, you then can play 24 bit flac and even DSD files.
Been using this for 5 years now. Files can be added or subtracted via Itunes

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/onkyo-hf-player-hi-res-music/id704139896
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline boomfizzle

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 10:27:02 AM »
CloudBeats Pro has been my go to for years.  Doesn't require iTunes syncing...can just link a Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or numerous other cloud/NAS services and stream or download for offline listening.
Mics: Busman BSC-1 | Nak CM300s | AKG C1000s | AKG C568 EBs | AT853s 4.7k mod | AT2021s | Superlux S502mkii | Superscope EC-3S | Superscope EC-33S | SP-MS-BMC-3 |
Recs: Zoom F8n Pro | Tascam DR-70D | Zoom H6 | Tascam DR-22WL

Offline Liquid Meat

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 12:24:43 PM »
CloudBeats Pro has been my go to for years.  Doesn't require iTunes syncing...can just link a Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or numerous other cloud/NAS services and stream or download for offline listening.

I've used this and VOX for years with no problems.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 12:41:50 PM »
Re: Vox, Cloudbeats Pro, and the ability to avoid syncing with iTunes.

Is the only way to transfer the files to the iPhone through a Cloud based account? Can you also drag/drop the files to the device somehow?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 01:10:11 PM »

Is the only way to transfer the files to the iPhone through a Cloud based account? Can you also drag/drop the files to the device somehow?

Ive done the drag drop with an iphone and mac. dont know about a PC havent added any files to the phone in a while. I just use my fiio mostly
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

Offline morst

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 03:34:59 PM »

I plug the iPhone directly into the computer (I have mac), and use Music which is the new name for the program formerly known as iTunes, then drag and drop.
I have not used "the cloud" to add any of my own music to my phone, though I've purchased a track from the iTunes store a couple of times, as I needed them for other people's projects.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 04:24:14 PM »
Onkyo HF Player! If you buy the $10 add on, you then can play 24 bit flac and even DSD files.
Been using this for 5 years now. Files can be added or subtracted via Itunes

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/onkyo-hf-player-hi-res-music/id704139896

I've also been using this for over 5 years. works great

Offline audBall

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 07:50:47 PM »
I plug the iPhone directly into the computer (I have mac), and use Music which is the new name for the program formerly known as iTunes, then drag and drop.
I have not used "the cloud" to add any of my own music to my phone, though I've purchased a track from the iTunes store a couple of times, as I needed them for other people's projects.

Thanks. I should have mentioned I am on a PC/Windows. I'm aware of the iTunes > Music transition, but I think iTunes is still the software interface for Windows. I have a lot of music on the phone currently, but it always seems like a monumental task when it comes around the changing things up, especially on a fresh install of iTunes where you're effectively required to swipe clean the music on the phone to start a new library (aside from 3rd party apps I don't really want to mess with).

Are you iPhone/PC users who are using the above apps avoiding the iPhone's Music app altogether?
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Liquid Meat

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 09:26:21 PM »

Thanks. I should have mentioned I am on a PC/Windows. I'm aware of the iTunes > Music transition, but I think iTunes is still the software interface for Windows. I have a lot of music on the phone currently, but it always seems like a monumental task when it comes around the changing things up, especially on a fresh install of iTunes where you're effectively required to swipe clean the music on the phone to start a new library (aside from 3rd party apps I don't really want to mess with).

Are you iPhone/PC users who are using the above apps avoiding the iPhone's Music app altogether?

I avoided the music/itunes app and put everything on VOX and google drive. The music/itunes app was so buggy that I wanted to avoid it. I have all my stuff backed up locally and in the cloud as a side benefit. Not sure how PC/iPhone might function though.

Offline audBall

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 11:26:36 AM »
^ So, the VOX app acts as the player as well, correct? That sounds like a viable method. I have access to a MS OneDrive account so may look into the syncing method that way.
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Liquid Meat

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 12:03:18 PM »
Vox you upload to their server. Kinda a PITA for large libraries. Cloudbeat player just reads from you OneDrive.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 12:09:21 PM »
All of my music lives in a FreeNAS box running Plex.  I have found that PlexAmp works really well to play music.  Otherwise, I use the Plex app to play video.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2021, 12:42:04 AM »
All of my music lives in a FreeNAS box running Plex.  I have found that PlexAmp works really well to play music.  Otherwise, I use the Plex app to play video.

I've always wanted to setup something like this but never have gotten around to learning what I need to do. I mainly just want a place to have MP3s/FLACs of my recordings and other music that I can "host" here on my home network that could then be accessed elsewhere by myself and others.

but basically, following something like this: https://www.devroom.io/2020/02/28/building-a-diy-home-server-with-freenas/ would be a good place to start, huh?
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2021, 11:40:48 AM »

I've always wanted to setup something like this but never have gotten around to learning what I need to do. I mainly just want a place to have MP3s/FLACs of my recordings and other music that I can "host" here on my home network that could then be accessed elsewhere by myself and others.

but basically, following something like this: https://www.devroom.io/2020/02/28/building-a-diy-home-server-with-freenas/ would be a good place to start, huh?

i run plex as well but i dont use it as much as i used to. For music ive been digging my sysnology NAS and raspberry pi running volumio. I run usb > DAC > Stereo. the raspberry pi runs the server and acts as the front end. I sometimes get drops on 24/192 material but im using it over wifi in an out building in my yard. never an issue with lesser bit rates.

I used to run logitech squeeze touch. the pi solution is more along those lines. Mine is just a dumb head but you can add screens etc and they can do a lot more than just tunes. volumio supports multiple devices if you have more than one pi etc. Im not married to volumio, it was just one of the first i tried. the pi is nice that the build runs on a micro sd card so you can swap out cards if you want to test other builds without much hassle.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2021, 01:02:40 PM »

Yes, that looks like a good link.  PM if you need some guidance
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline tapeworm48

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2023, 05:49:00 PM »
i use the Foobar app on my iPhone. does no one else use this? is VLC superior?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2023, 04:16:15 PM »
i use the Foobar app on my iPhone. does no one else use this? is VLC superior?
I have been trying nota, 
Haven't tried vlc but I might as well. Was not happy with foobar at all.
 it really just boggles me how difficult it seems to do this compared to using an android. the fun of changing...
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2023, 07:30:41 PM »
Maybe a dumb question, but why not convert FLAC to ALAC and playback in the Music app?  I've been playing with the idea of converting FLACs to ALAC and playing the files on a iPod 5.5G ( with 512gb drive ) in the native OS vs Rockbox.  I've had Rockbox choke on files and mess up my library to the point I have to recover the iPod and start over again.  So, I thought about using my iPhone ( 14 Pro ) with ALAC files in the music app and so far they seem to play, but are they playing at 24bit 48ghz, or truncated to 16bit?  How would I know? 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline morst

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2023, 07:39:29 PM »
Maybe a dumb question, but why not convert FLAC to ALAC and playback in the Music app?
As I posted a while ago up there^, I do this. The drawback is if you "collect" FLAC folders, now it's one more copy.
At modern hard drive prices of ~$16/TB on sale, I don't find that a big problem anymore.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2023, 01:48:26 PM »
Maybe a dumb question, but why not convert FLAC to ALAC and playback in the Music app?
As I posted a while ago up there^, I do this. The drawback is if you "collect" FLAC folders, now it's one more copy.
At modern hard drive prices of ~$16/TB on sale, I don't find that a big problem anymore.

I use XLD and converted a folder with FLACs and had the ALACs put back in the same folder.  Told iTunes to add to library and chose the folder with both FLACs and ALACs and only the ALACs were added as it should be.  Added those files to my iPhone an iPod and both show 24bit 48ghz in iTunes.  Both devices playback fine. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline morst

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2023, 03:54:05 PM »
I use XLD and converted a folder with FLACs and had the ALACs put back in the same folder.  Told iTunes to add to library and chose the folder with both FLACs and ALACs and only the ALACs were added as it should be.  Added those files to my iPhone an iPod and both show 24bit 48ghz in iTunes.  Both devices playback fine.
Agree that XLD will make this really easy, due to its friendly ability to recursively dive into folders and replace items right where they are stored.
I'd suggest making a copy of the flac directory and converting the whole thing into ALAC, so you have separate folder in case they outgrow the drive some day.

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2023, 08:33:12 PM »
Plexamp is awesome. Had Plex for 10ish years, never used it for music. Found Plexamp a year ago, what a game changer. Works with everything. Can play in the house or our.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com