Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Stealth recorder advice?  (Read 1497 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
New Stealth recorder advice?
« on: January 20, 2006, 09:51:06 PM »
I am looking for a new alternative to my already pretty stealthy setup. I have herd some good things but many bad things about the M/Audio Microtracker. I am looking at MD units. I am just looking to use this for concerts where I know its hell to get inside. (ex: wands, pat downs, metal detectors etc) has anyone had any history with MDs? I know many like DAT, JB3, Laptops. but no one with MD. I don't know what the difference between Hi-MD is etc. so if anyone has any input on this topic it would be awesome. thanks for reading guys.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: New Stealth recorder advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 05:45:25 AM »
Any small-medium size portable deck needs a combination of abilities and features to suit low profile and/or permission recording in public places.  I also need to consider professional field recordist's requirements who make a living recording ambient sounds for film as part of my business.

No deck model is perfect for everyone's needs, and my experience is the mics and how they are being used is responisble for 90-95% of all audio qualities most important to recordists in the final recorded outcome before post edit process.  Mic preamplifier quality and input ability is second most important issue in my experience. 

Deck choice with internal A/D quality seems to me the least important factor that rarely limits recording quality satisfaction.  I know there are many who disagree, but my feeling is a lot of tapers are losing perspective on audible effect of using 'very large expensive preamplifier, A/D external gear that do least amount of  improvements to the final recorded quality. 

So deck choice seems more a logistical choice of battery life, size, input ability, length of recording time available, and other such considerations.

While MD is the perfect size for stealth mode recording with plenty of battery life, and mostly good enough sounding for at least amplified pop/rock venues, Sony decks are most common these days, and manual control of level/input conditions a bit too tedious for my tastes, and VU levels are too small for easy reading for at least us older tapers.

Frankly, I lean towards decks with all-in-one potential ability to just connect up an external mic.  Carring in power hungry 'atlas book size' preamps, A/D external processing 'boxes' just adds to the difficulty getting gear in, and operating especially if in stealth mode.

In the logistical sense, I have alway felt sony's D100/M1 DAT was the closest 'perfect' audio field recorder to become available to the average to professional recordist.  Sure, it has mic input limitations with only 1 really good sounding mic gain (-20), but at least allowed non distorted external preamplifier pro-level LINE input when needed to power and amplifiy certain types of mics not compatible with the deck mic input.

To make a long story short, so far I feel the Microtrack comes the closest to being a practical field 'new technology' deck adequate for most taper's needs.  Far from perfect, but a fine very usable start bringing higher than DAT definition recording ability in affordable pocket size recorder.  I look forward to more such models appearing expanding choices, but for now Microtrack seems the best value that's most practical for the casual to professional  portable taper's needs. 

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com