Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: GRIPE ABOUT TASCAM! What is wrong with them?!  (Read 25486 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
GRIPE ABOUT TASCAM! What is wrong with them?!
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:57:32 PM »
Welcome to my GRIPE ABOUT TASCAM thread!

This will be a place where those who have had trouble caused by Tascam gear can post specifics, in case anyone shopping for recorders is interested in large trends.

Maybe you know the story about the DR-70D?

Super-short version: The DR-70D glitches horribly, randomly, uncontrollable, and unpredictably unless a SDHC or SDXC card is selected from the list which was published October 6, 2015, nearly a year after the deck was first sold.

The Tascam customer service representative who was present on this board did little but parrot the company line of "you must use a card on the list, or it is not Tascam's fault/responsibility" until he got insulted by a disgruntled Tascam customer and took his ball and went away. Tascam has not sent any other reps to interact with this board since then.

In my mind, the only reason that they published the updated list on October 6, with the 64 & 128 GB cards, was as a direct result of my BBB claim against them. https://sanjose.app.bbb.org/complaint/view/443623/c/h68r4v
TASCAM has been an industry leading manufacturer of high quality yet affordable multitrack recorders for over 40 years. There are times when the technology used in the development of such recorders provide capabilities that are out in front of other related products. In the case of the DR-70D, our initial tests on available media (specifically SDXC media) has shown that they are not meeting the stringent requirements of the unique recording capabilities of the DR-70D. The issue is not the DR-70D hardware but the available SDXC media.

Current tests are revealing a number of cards that do seem to meet the necessary requirements. Once all tests are completed, an updated list which includes the acceptable cards will be posted on our website.

Just for the record, of the thousands of DR-70D recorders we have sold since November of last year, outside of Mr. Scharff, there has only been one other user contact us (and that was today) concerning SDXC media.

So, if you are dissatisfied with TASCAM, it would probably be a good idea to let them know, and let us know that you have let them know, so they can not continue to complain that "there has only been one other user contact us (and that was today) concerning SDXC media"

How products of this nature are designed and how specifications are decided is well beyond the scope of this discussion.

If the customer's real agenda is to use a high capacity SDXC card with the unit, then based on the new Tested Media List that has recently been posted, his problem is solved.

This will be our final correspondence on this matter.

They are not interested in fixing their gear, and they are only barely interested in placating customer complaints! That snarky response may be good enough to close a BBB claim, but it makes them look like jerks to me!

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
Re: GRIPE ABOUT TASCAM! What is wrong with them?!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 05:39:47 PM »
Trashcan is special. New deck every month, each less functional than the last.

The SDHC card issue is just like the "Tekkeon issue" with the 680. That is, if you use a Tekkeon with selectable voltage with a 680, it fries the motherboard. Or at least, after going through two 680s, that was their claim. Their ability and desire to repair was nonexistent; customer service the usual "it's your / somebody else's fault" routine.

My DR-40 was better, and I sold it to someone who successfully used it since, but even it wouldn't format cards properly. They'd format, but the deck would hang, and you had to turn it off and power it back on.

In addition, I find the overall QC, feel, and operation of their products to be awful. Even if it had worked properly, the 680 was an obvious piece of junk, hard to use, unreliable, and felt as cheap as it was. Oh I forgot, it also had the "it only works with certain digital outs" issue.

Things can't be someone else's fault all the time. This company is notorious for a reason.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 05:49:48 PM »
The last Trashcan I owned was a  P1, and it was a pos that liked to lock up before shows for no reason. And it was probably Tascams finest portable hour.  :facepalm:
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 06:32:56 PM »
Here is a glitched fileset from the Tascam DR-70D, if you'd like to take a listen to some of the errors caused by using just any old perfectly good SDHC card, maybe straight out of a camera?

Cracker Live at Palms Playhouse on 2015-07-07
https://archive.org/details/Cracker2015-07-07

"Almond Grove (3:45), Get On Down The Road (3:36), & Eurotrash Girl (5:33) have glitches which appear to be on the master files from the Tascam DR-70D"

ARE THERE NO STANDARDS?!?
(joking, as if you couldn't tell by comic sans...
there ARE standards: https://www.sdcard.org/ )
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »
I had a DA-P1 that had the head slip out of alignment after 2 years of use

I had 2 different CD recorders give me problems... can't remember the details anymore

I had a HD-P2 that had the Firewire port die... no huge deal

I had the first DR-680 in the world to die due to the voltage issue acidjack also went thru
it took TEAC 2 months to do anything about the issue and only did because the retailer I bought it from went to bat for me

I had a DR-2d crap out mysteriosly after about a month of use... the retailer exchanged it

I too for some reason bought the 70D after going thru all the issues above, but sold it as soon as issues were noted about the cards

I still have my old trusty 112MKII cassette deck from back in the day when Tascam wasn't synonymous with Trashcan

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »
Thanks morst, I guess you and I are two of a kind.  Marketing/corporate apologists are taking over this world, ever since we heard that "corporations are people..."!   Sheesh, what a load of crap these guys fling.

And as far as one distinguished member here goes, maybe he has plenty of cash, and free beta-testing time, to dump off on "doorstops", but most of us don't.  And most of us here aren't going to be getting on TASCAM's cheerleading bandwagon, either.  Glitched recordings are top of every taper's shit list......we can screw up enough other things ourselves.  We don't need help from a trashcan recorder.  We certainly didn't get much help from that weasel, Tuomo.  Good riddance.

Your BBB case was well articulated and well thought-out.  Sounds exactly like something I would write.  TASCAM deserves all the criticism it gets from us.

Thanks for the new thread....jumping in.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 08:20:38 PM »
Trashcan?
Come on,.... they've already spelled out their own name: Ta Scam (read: To scam, with a bad Bostonian/Bronx/whatever accent).

Its a shame that your $200 recorder isn't right.  Try it with a bad $1200 DVRA1000 DSD recorder, with the same level of customer support.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 09:46:44 PM »
^ that blows Moke.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 06:45:10 AM »
Not $1200, but I had really bad luck a few years back with a stand-alone CD recorder (RW2000) that set me back ~ $500.  It functioned perfectly, with one slight flaw: the CDs I burned with it would only playback in the device.  Not in the car, computer, portable or stereo.  After several fruitless months trying to get any semblance of service from them, I just trashed it...

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 06:58:52 AM »
Not $1200, but I had really bad luck a few years back with a stand-alone CD recorder (RW2000) that set me back ~ $500.  It functioned perfectly, with one slight flaw: the CDs I burned with it would only playback in the device.  Not in the car, computer, portable or stereo.  After several fruitless months trying to get any semblance of service from them, I just trashed it...

Similar experience with the early Marantz CD-R 610...junk. Flawed firmware from the get go. Digital transfers sounded - notably - different. I eventually got my money back out of it doing transfers for local studios. But that thing sucked. Eventually threw it away. Paid like 2400 bucks for it in 1993.

colinw

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 08:53:22 AM »
wow, I guess I am lucky.

I Haven't had any issues at all with the small handheld recorders I have dr07mkii and dr-2d. Both are great little machines for what use them for.

I also have a pair of old TEACv1050 3 head tape decks that I used heavily in the tape trading days, which were workhorses and I never had any issues with. I still play tapes on them occasionally and they are solid!

It is unfortunate they don't provide any decent service for their products, seems very common these days.

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 08:56:43 AM »
Tascam DR-70D in a flawless performance as a counterweight:

AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 01:22:21 AM »
Glitched recordings are top of every taper's shit list......we can screw up enough other things ourselves.  We don't need help from a trashcan recorder.

My thoughts as well. 

Offline ccage

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 10:13:01 AM »
I had one of those DA 302 DAT cloners back in the day.
What a piece of crap....it failed early and often.

Those DA P1's must have been a steady income revenue stream for Plotnick at Pro Digital for several years  ;D
Schoeps CCM 41V, MK4, MK41, NBob Schoeps Actives, JB Mod Nak 300>cp103, JB Mod PFA Nak cp104, Naiant Active>AKG CK 63 combo,   
Oade m248mkII  Audioroot Femto
SD 744
Darktrain cables-tgakidis cables/bar
followinbob clips/risers/bars-Naiant PFA's-Nbob Actives

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 10:23:26 AM »
^ oh man, forgot about those. They failed massively right out of the gate. I also had a da30 that liked to chew tapes.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com