Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: GRIPE ABOUT TASCAM! What is wrong with them?!  (Read 25489 times)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: GRIPE ABOUT TASCAM! What is wrong with them?!
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
no, I've just totally lost my taper groove.

She'll be back...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »
Are you having problems with a listed card? If so, which one?

Lists?  We don't need no stinkin' lists...Not in the "GRIPE ABOUT TASCAM!" thread, anyway.

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 12:09:05 PM »
No gripes from me. Going on 10 straight years of use with my HD-P2. I can only think of two times where I had a problem. Pretty sure one was a battery issue, and the other was a write error on an 8 year old card that probably needed to be replaced anyways.

::knocks on wood::
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2015, 04:14:41 AM »
The people who are having issues with your Tascam, exactly which SD cards are you using? As I've seen zero mention of specific cards (aside from the guy who had no issues, which mentioned a particular one. Sandisk Ultra I think he said).

If you're using any old random Class 4 card, well... no wonder you'll have issues! And you've got no excuse whatsoever, not when fast Sandisk SD cards are so dirt cheap these days.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2015, 12:01:27 PM »
The people who are having issues with your Tascam, exactly which SD cards are you using? As I've seen zero mention of specific cards (aside from the guy who had no issues, which mentioned a particular one. Sandisk Ultra I think he said).

If you're using any old random Class 4 card, well... no wonder you'll have issues! And you've got no excuse whatsoever, not when fast Sandisk SD cards are so dirt cheap these days.

People have been reporting issues with cards that are class rated with speeds equal or better than approved cards. There is something wonky with the way the write process is implemented on this machine. It may be some new type of technology/software that is ahead of current hardware but it's the only digital recorder I know of that's had these kind of problems. Tascam is blaming SD cards saying they degrade performance over time and whatnot. I have a Toshiba class 4 card that I've recorded countless shows with 4 channels at 24/48kHz in my Tascam DR2D and in my Tascam DR60D going on 5 years without a single hiccup. It's not cards....it's the DR70D.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »

Look at tascam's own list of approved media for the 70d.  Within the same model line of sandisk cards, some are NG.  Explaination, please?  A sandisk that works in other tascam may not work in the 70d.  Explanation, please?  Now they released the 701d without any list of approved media.  Do you want to spend $599 and then try to find a card that works at your time and expense?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 11:34:19 AM by 2manyrocks »

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2015, 07:59:32 PM »
^

I saw that list with the NG designations....wtf?! Sloppy at the least. As has been said, I wonder if Trashcan developed some new write technology and failed to test it properly....or did and found the issue too late in production. No worries, another cheap shit deck is probably in the works right now.  :P
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2015, 08:39:23 AM »
My heritage is from the still photography side and I always set the camera to write to dual cards to be sure that I do not lose an important shoot.
On top of that I always get on the set with backup cams in case one fails.
And even doing personal video shoots I set the camera to write to both cards at ones.

I've never had any problem with a CF or SD card not working or geting corrupted due to a mismatch between cam and card.
Sure there can be performance issues but never information loss.
Information loss should be out of the question in todays digital and redundant world!

As I'm looking into which recorder to purchase dr-680, dr-70d, 661mkii etc I found it extremely surprising to read all these stories about how the 70d can not handla cards in a better way and kind of shocking on how Tascam fails to produce a unit that are this picky (read crappy) in what to feed it with. Not to mention the slow or zero interest in producing documents of working cards.

I thought it would be easy to set a cost limit and then choose a good recorder within the price range but gosh was I wrong.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2015, 12:09:05 PM »
^None of my other recorders, cameras, camcorders, etc. appear to be picky about cards, either.

I think most of us view Sandisk as a reliable, good quality card, and yet even within the Sandisk brand, there are a limited number of Sandisk models that are on the 70d list of approved media.  And 70d users have to be very observant in choosing the correct approved model from among all the similar looking Sandisk cards at retailers. 

The only other manufacturer on the list is Panasonic and the Panasonic cards appear from my research to be discontinued or very limited in stock. 

If Tascam had published the list of approved media when they started selling the 70d, it would be one thing, but issuing the list months after the 70d has been on the market doesn't sit well with me.  Tell me up front if a recorder requires specific cards to work correctly. 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2016, 02:47:53 PM »
Information loss should be out of the question in todays digital and redundant world!

THIS!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 11:51:40 AM »
i hated my p1, but i have 2 hdp2's and use 4 different types of card without any issue over the past 10yrs.  i guess i'm a statistical abnormality ;-)
i only use 8gb card, and reformat before each show. 

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 02:24:32 PM »
i hated my p1, but i have 2 hdp2's and use 4 different types of card without any issue over the past 10yrs.  i guess i'm a statistical abnormality ;-)
i only use 8gb card, and reformat before each show.
HDp2 is rock solid. Other than a few people having some rust issues I have never heard of any operational problems. Also it is of a different era for Tascam. They still sell them though and other than being a bit large, It remains a great deck with lots of features.

But this is a gripe category, not a praise category. I wish they had any kind of decent customer service. It took about 50 emails to finally get a response on my firmware update explanation and request for the DR680 MKII where the Din Mon /Mix Mon always reverts back to Mix Mon and does not hold. Tascam said enough people would have to complain for them to address it, and I think that part of the deck is so complicated to figure out that mass complaints are unlikely. Most people do not run 6 analog mics along with a preamp digital output with 2 additional mics to the mix track.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:30:55 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline vialenco

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2019, 07:31:37 AM »
Ok so I'm resurrecting this dead thread. But then again may be some one at Trashcan may see it one day and push for them to change something because for a company that aims itself at the "pro" sector of the market it's really quite unacceptable.

I don't think I've ever got a reply from any one there regarding any queries past or present and now that I have a faulty product I doubt I will ever get any reply regarding that too but who knows.

Last year I brought a DR-100 mk III and although skeptical and weary of it being Tascam it was the only recorder on the market in that price range that met all my requirements so I thought meh how bad can it be, if it's faulty surely I can return it?
Well bang on a year after purchase the machine now glitches on playback or whilst record monitoring, this is now just a few days outside of the warranty period!
The data recorded to the SD card is actually ok but playback and monitoring on the DR it'self isn't, at a guess an issue with the DA IC or a capacitor... Thing is it doesn't really give you confidence if you play something back and it's clicking and popping, on location you'd think is the file corrupt?

The sad thing is the DR-100 III other wise was great, some minor quibbles about the build (noisy and poor quality jog wheel and the shock mount doesn't really do anything when the unit is hand held)

The one piece of advice I will give to any one buying anything from these people is if you can buy it from a place that offers an extended warranty. Here in Europe anything you buy from Thomann is sold with a 3 year warranty! Unfortunately when I brought mine they didn't have any in stock so I got it from a local re-seller in my country.

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »
huh, i never saw this thread the first time around, so this is the first i've heard of these types of complaints against tascam. recently i did own a dr-100mkII for about a year, recording maybe 20-30 shows with it. i eventually sold it and upgraded to a mixpre-6, but i never had an issue with the tascam. maybe i just got lucky? anyway, now seeing this i'm glad i didn't try to use it for too much longer.

Offline vialenco

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2019, 05:47:32 PM »
huh, i never saw this thread the first time around, so this is the first i've heard of these types of complaints against tascam. recently i did own a dr-100mkII for about a year, recording maybe 20-30 shows with it. i eventually sold it and upgraded to a mixpre-6, but i never had an issue with the tascam. maybe i just got lucky? anyway, now seeing this i'm glad i didn't try to use it for too much longer.

I'd like to think their products have improved and we are a small minority but the support is totally lacking unfortunately, which IS something that seems to be echoed by the Tascam user base.
I understand with anything there will be a degree of products that fail be it caused by a design oversight or part failure but the way the company then deals with this to me is of ultimate importance and this is where Tascam fails.

Would I still recommend the DR-100 mkIII? Totally! But I'd purchase it from a dealer with a good reputation/who offer extended cover just in case.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com