Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: GRIPE ABOUT TASCAM! What is wrong with them?!  (Read 25482 times)

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
Re: GRIPE ABOUT TASCAM! What is wrong with them?!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 10:26:07 AM »
well, not that it matters but ive had my 680 for 3 years and my 60d for a year and a half anf have had zero issues. guess ive been lucky!
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline johnfitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 11:41:41 AM »
I have nothing to gripe about.

I've got a $200 4-channel recorder that performs much better than any $200 4-channel recorder has any business to.

For more than 6 months I've been using it almost weekly to record 4-channels and have used it as a straight 2-channel recorder (with the 2-channel back up tracks enabled, so I guess even those instances are still using all 4 channels) probably half a dozen times on top of that and fortunately I've never had any negative issues. I'm recording everything at 24/48.

I'm using a Sandisk Ultra Plus 64gb Microsdxc Class 10 Uhs-1 Memory Card (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPJBYD0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) and have installed all of the firmware updates when they've become available.

I formatted the card in the recorder several times the only way possible via the older firmware version and did the new full format that's available with the latest version before I last used it. (Even the full format option only took a minute or so to complete).

I never put any of that into your spread sheet, but there you have it. I may be in the minority but so far I've had nothing but good luck with my DR-70D.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:45:16 AM by johnfitz »

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 01:53:07 PM »
wrong thread. johnfitz.

Please consider altering or deleting your post.

-T
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »
wrong thread. johnfitz.

Please consider altering or deleting your post.

-T
I'm not sure he did anything wrong by posting that his deck was fine. I think at this point even the Trashcan users who've had the better luck have to admit that all is not well with that company and its products. It'd be one thing to post a completely fan boyish defense of garbage business practices/products (as we've seen here many a time before) but I don't think an anecdotal post about how at least a few of them work is off-base. Just my $0.02.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 07:13:56 PM »
You guys have missed the part in the DR-70D literature about TASCAM's proprietary "Super Bit Shaping"

This is a more aggresive A/D process that results on triple the accuracy of past A/Ds - but requires a more resilient SD card hardware.

TASCAM is labling this proprietary technology as "TASCAM Super BS"

:)

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 08:04:43 PM »
You guys have missed the part in the DR-70D literature about TASCAM's proprietary "Super Bit Shaping"

This is a more aggresive A/D process that results on triple the accuracy of past A/Ds - but requires a more resilient SD card hardware.

TASCAM is labling this proprietary technology as "TASCAM Super BS"

:)

Niiiiice one...!  :coolguy:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 01:55:17 PM »

I've got a $200 4-channel recorder that performs much better than any $200 4-channel recorder has any business to.

For more than 6 months I've been using it almost weekly to record 4-channels and have used it as a straight 2-channel recorder (with the 2-channel back up tracks enabled, so I guess even those instances are still using all 4 channels) probably half a dozen times on top of that and fortunately I've never had any negative issues. I'm recording everything at 24/48.

I'm using a Sandisk Ultra Plus 64gb Microsdxc Class 10 Uhs-1 Memory Card (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPJBYD0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) and have installed all of the firmware updates when they've become available.

I formatted the card in the recorder several times the only way possible via the older firmware version and did the new full format that's available with the latest version before I last used it. (Even the full format option only took a minute or so to complete).

I never put any of that into your spread sheet, but there you have it. I may be in the minority but so far I've had nothing but good luck with my DR-70D.

THAT CARD IS NOT ON THE APPROVED LIST! AT SOME POINT, IT WILL FAIL, AND TASCAM WILL TELL YOU THAT THEY ARE NOT TO BLAME..

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

The approved card list for the DR-70D is here: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/dr-70d_tested_media_list_20151006.pdf

If you use any cards other than the ones on the list, and they fail, you have NO RECOURSE with TEAC/Tascam.

Do you want that?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline tapjunkie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 05:57:55 PM »
I have owned a P2 for almost 10 years and never had an issue.  I must be lucky.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 03:00:56 PM »

THAT CARD IS NOT ON THE APPROVED LIST! AT SOME POINT, IT WILL FAIL, AND TASCAM WILL TELL YOU THAT THEY ARE NOT TO BLAME..

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

The approved card list for the DR-70D is here: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/dr-70d_tested_media_list_20151006.pdf

If you use any cards other than the ones on the list, and they fail, you have NO RECOURSE with TEAC/Tascam.

Do you want that?

Looking at the approved list you have posted it seems I recently purchased a non approved card: SDSDXP-032G 32GB NG

But the 16Gb same type is OK? And this one is at your own risk: SDSDXPA-032G 32GB OK*1

Really???

Offline morst

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 03:49:52 PM »

Looking at the approved list you have posted it seems I recently purchased a non approved card: SDSDXP-032G 32GB NG

But the 16Gb same type is OK? And this one is at your own risk: SDSDXPA-032G 32GB OK*1

Really???

Yes, really!!!

Tascam blames the cards but I blame Tascam.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »
I thought the BBB complaint was over the top, but am looking at it differently the more i think on it.  Tascam just released the dr701d, and there is no approved media list that I can find.  To an unkowledgeable user like me, my assumption would be the 701d is passing time code or whatever in addition to four channels of audio.  So my guess is it would be even more demanding on a card than the 70d.  Given the limited list of approved cards for the 70d published by tascam months after many of us bought the 70d, it leaves a bad impression in my mind to see another recorder released with no list of approved media.  Spend $599 and take your chances and spend money trying to determine which cards work in the 701d or any other tascam product again?  Not me. 

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 06:24:43 PM »
I thought the BBB complaint was over the top, but am looking at it differently the more i think on it.  Tascam just released the dr701d, and there is no approved media list that I can find.  To an unkowledgeable user like me, my assumption would be the 701d is passing time code or whatever in addition to four channels of audio.  So my guess is it would be even more demanding on a card than the 70d.  Given the limited list of approved cards for the 70d published by tascam months after many of us bought the 70d, it leaves a bad impression in my mind to see another recorder released with no list of approved media.  Spend $599 and take your chances and spend money trying to determine which cards work in the 701d or any other tascam product again?  Not me.

Yep - and they had the "rep" here - who bailed...

He could have hung and tried to work with us...

We got the message TASCAM...our business is not wanted...

While we may not be the demographic this is device is aimed at - The taperssection.com threads ranks high in Google searches - who else is talking about it...?

Offline morst

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »
Thanks to my unreliable Tascam DR-70D, I no longer enjoy recording live shows.

I am prepping for a show tonight and feeling panic and anxiety.

Ready to quit if this keeps up.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »
Thanks to my unreliable Tascam DR-70D, I no longer enjoy recording live shows.

I am prepping for a show tonight and feeling panic and anxiety.

Ready to quit if this keeps up.

Are you having problems with a listed card? If so, which one?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 07:19:52 PM »
no, I've just totally lost my taper groove.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com