Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 9V battery stuck in a Denecke PS-2  (Read 5066 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
9V battery stuck in a Denecke PS-2
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »
Just thought I'd share this story for PS-2 users out there in case a freak occurence like this ever happens to one of you guys.  So I was getting my gear set for a low-profile show recently, and everything was set up and the last part was inserting a 9V battery into the PS-2.  Easy, right?  Well, I put it in and then look down and see the low battery red light is on, which is odd, so I try to take it out to see what's up... and it won't come out!  I can pull the battery out some bit, and I feel the spring stretching, but the battery won't come loose.  It's close to show time so I decide I better do something and I pull really hard and then the battery finally comes free... but it lost one of the connectors! 

I look in the PS-2 and see the battery connector (the bigger one of the the two) is stuck to the top of one of the two PS-2 contacts that are attached to the springs.  Wow.  I try to pry it off with a screwdriver key I have but no go, so I try to pull it off with a key and it comes off easily (I guess the jagged edge of the key was able to insert itself between the PS-2 contact and the battery contact that was attached to it.  Luckily, it still works but now the spring is looser and I wonder if this thing is still going to be reliable in the future.  I guess we'll see.  :P

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
Re: 9V battery stuck in a Denecke PS-2
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 12:21:57 PM »
Is it possible the battery was put in wrong accidentally :P  I say you sell it and buy an Nbox for your Schoeps ;) ;D

One last question...did you record the said show??

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 12:40:01 PM »
:P  I say you sell it and buy an Nbox for your Schoeps ;) ;D
x2

music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 01:34:28 PM »
Is it possible the battery was put in wrong accidentally :P  I say you sell it and buy an Nbox for your Schoeps ;) ;D

One last question...did you record the said show??

Not really, since the battery can fit only two ways and the two contacts in the PS-2 are identical appearing. 

But yeah, you and Ed are right... I should probably get an Nbox.  Maybe that'll be my next purchase down the line.  :P

addendum: the 9V battery that got stuck was actually a 9.6V Powerex rechargeable that I had been using heavily last summer/fall and it's possible that the bigger of the two connectors on the battery got 'stretched out' a bit after multiple insertions/removals from the charger.  Shouldn't be any problems just using regular alkalines now that I think about it. 

edit: oh yeah, I was able to record the show but it was so damn windy that even with windscreens inside the old kangol there was too much wind rumble.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:36:42 PM by su6oxone »

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 01:45:34 AM »
how exactly do 9V's go into PS2's?  Is it supposed to be negative "up" (face side), or positive up?
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 06:56:08 AM »
Positive up to power the unit. If you insert the battery backwards it won't harm the PS2, it just won't supply phantom.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 12:22:08 PM »
^^^

What he said.  Well it seems like my PS-2 is fine after all, the springs/contacts are firmly attached and it's been working great.  Well built little devices. :P

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 09:28:03 AM »
When you pulled the stuck 9v cap off the spring connector, did you have the front plate off of the PS-2?  That should have made getting the battery out much easier.  It looks like from your original post that you simply worked it out.  Great thing about this and the AD20 is how it sort of dissects taking the side off of it.  If the spring is still loose you should be able to streatch it just a bit with the side off of it.   
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 09:56:32 AM »
When you pulled the stuck 9v cap off the spring connector, did you have the front plate off of the PS-2?  That should have made getting the battery out much easier.  It looks like from your original post that you simply worked it out.  Great thing about this and the AD20 is how it sort of dissects taking the side off of it.  If the spring is still loose you should be able to streatch it just a bit with the side off of it.   

Nope, I was at a show without my phillips screwdriver key so I just pulled the battery out, but the spring appears to be firmly connected.  They are built pretty solidly I guess.  :P 

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »

Nope, I was at a show without my phillips screwdriver key so I just pulled the battery out, but the spring appears to be firmly connected.  They are built pretty solidly I guess.  :P 

Very solid.  I always liked that you could store the battery in the unit when not in use without worrying about drain and that when you put the battery in correctly the low voltage light would flicker to tell you that you were putting the battery in for use.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com