Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does Using DVD Shrink Create any "loss"?  (Read 5858 times)

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
Does Using DVD Shrink Create any "loss"?
« on: May 26, 2005, 08:40:30 AM »
...Sorry, new to the DVD burning game, and wanted to make sure that any DVDs I trade out are as good as they can be. Does Using DVD shrink to copy the TS_Audio/Video files to your harddrive create any inherent "loss" in subsequent copies? Any settings on DVD Shrink that I should be aware of before I burn?

Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Re: Does Using DVD Shrink Create any "loss"?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 09:52:06 AM »
Yes.  It compresses the file to fit on a DVD-/+R disc...  Is it noticable?  Depends on the level of compression, but it's generally considered to do its compression well enough that it isn't as noticable.
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 10:27:27 AM »
if you are talking about live shows on dvd they should not need to be compressed as they are cut to fit on one or two disc.  btw I wouldn't use dvd shrink to rip to the harddrive.  use DVD Decrypter (it's free) to rip and shrink only if you need to re author it.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 11:37:14 AM »
if you are talking about live shows on dvd they should not need to be compressed as they are cut to fit on one or two disc.  btw I wouldn't use dvd shrink to rip to the harddrive.  use DVD Decrypter (it's free) to rip and shrink only if you need to re author it.

Sorry, yes I'm talking about live shows, and I have DVD Decrypter as well. I'll use that going forward. Thanks!

t's

TB
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 11:50:02 AM »
Can't you simply open the live show via explorer and copy the "Video_TS" directory to your hard drive without using either program?  I thought dvd shrink/dvd decryptor were for working with protected/encrypted dvds.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 12:08:45 PM »
you can just copy it.  I'm new to this as well and have been told to rip.  anyone?
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 12:11:50 PM »
DVD Decrypter is great at copying DVDs, it the DVD version of EAC, so use it to copy your concert DVDs for sure.  Shit programs like Nero can actually copy bad DVDs, and not tell you.  I have had a few DVDs in which the bup and ifo files were bad (not authored correctly), yet Nero went ahead and burned them anyways.  DVD Decrypter will tell you if there is a problem.
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 12:55:44 PM »
i honestly don't know if you can straight copy them from the disc to the harddrive.  honestly, the extra step of opening dvd decryptor takes about two seconds and i'm guarenteed a working disc...copying takes many many minutes and i won't know if i wasted my time until i burn the dvd.  i'd rather just play it safe.

dvd decryptor is a great program, i use it to burn all my .iso files.
dvd shrink is also great.

and in my opinion, both programs put dvd x copy to shame.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 04:27:17 PM »
Here is the gospel on ripping dvdd's:

Store bought DVD - Use DVD Shrink
Downloaded/burned  DVD - Windows Explorer or DVD Decrypter

The purpose of DVD Shrink is to allow you to copy a full length DVD (8GB) to fit on a recordable (4.3 GB)
Yes DVD Shrink does compress but it also allows you to cut out stuff you don't need like subtitles, foreign language tracks, bonus materials.

If you have a live show that has been burned onto the disc then just use Windows Explorer to copy the VIDEO_TS folder as the AUDIO_TS is empty!

Hope this helps and good luck!

Offline Zee

• Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 07:46:24 PM »
The purpose of DVD Shrink is to allow you to copy a full length DVD (8GB) to fit on a recordable (4.3 GB)
Yes DVD Shrink does compress but it also allows you to cut out stuff you don't need like subtitles, foreign language tracks, bonus materials.

My understading of this is, if you take out enought stuff (french 5.1 2.0 bouns features) ect. so the total space is 4.3 GB or under is does not use compression.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 07:55:54 PM by Zee »
4022>v2>722
Please dither and resample as you see fit!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 09:52:34 PM »

My understading of this is, if you take out enought stuff (french 5.1 2.0 bouns features) ect. so the total space is 4.3 GB or under is does not use compression.

exactly right bro, thats what i use dvd shrink for

each has theyre own uses, both are great and are totally free :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 05:19:39 AM »
I think you can set it to "no compression" then it won´t compress at all. If you set "automatic" it will compress as much as necessairy that it fits on a standard 4,7 GB dvd.

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 09:09:18 AM »
If these discs are burned discs you got in trade then by all means you can just copy the AUDIO_TS and The VIDEO_TS folders to your HD and then burn again. The only reason to need to use other decryptor programs is to copy DVD9 (store bought) dvd's (that you own 8)). Also the purpose of a shrink program is just to fit those ripped dvd's to a 4.7 GB disc. I don't run this program as I run a mac. I use MacThe Ripper to rip and DVD2OneX for shrinking. But if I want to back up a back up I just move the folders mentioned above and burn.

If your shrinking a disc to 4.7 and are concerned with video quality. Then select only the audio track you want (5.1, dolby, DTS, Ect.) and not just do a disc copy. Most DVD's while they say like 7.4 GB when ripped. There are usually multiple audio tacks that take up alot of space and most likely not needed by you.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 12:00:03 PM »

DVD Shrink resamples everything.  Even if you just remove everything but the actual movie you are still getting compression.  Let's say you get rid of the unecessary audio tracks and bonus features and the actual movie part of it comes in at 3.5GB well DVD Shrink is going to take that and create a 4.7GB disc.  up sample or down sample it is still being resampled in some way or another.

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 03:49:34 PM »
Wow, you guys are messing with your dvds much more than you need to.  If the master dvd plays fine and everything and is a single layer disc all that you have to do is make a disc image of the entire dvd with nero and then burn the image to a blank.  This makes a 100% backup of the original to the point where even the encoded dvd title that your computer reads the disc as will be the same.  There's no decrypting/encrypting needed whatsoever and it works flawlessly.  I've copied lots and lots of dvds like this and have not once has a problem with the burned copy having any glitches or not working properly.  If you're working with traded concert dvds this will work everytime since nobody is going to spend the $7 per disc to write dual layers.  So please stop messing with the discs when you copy them, this is why they seem to never work right when I get them :D

(also, when using DVD Shrink to copy a disc that's dual layered and under 140 minutes always use the re-author function and select only the main movie.  if it's a super high bit rate dvd you'll not notice anything after you compress it, if it's just a standard bit depth and say 2 hours 15 minutes you'll also not notice anything after compressing it.  anything longer than that and you'll start getting fuzzy burns and other noticeable residue of the compression.  as a rule of thumb you should probably never compress anything past 77% and only go that far if it's a super high bit rate.  anything past there and you'll not like your dub....this is what i've noticed at least.  alot of times on newer movies you can just dump the DTS track to get much better compression results since those are massive files.  you'll not miss them when their gone unless you have a super dooper hi-fi home theater that you need to justify buying because of DTS dvds ;) )
Really not very evil at all now...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com