Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Peak 5.0 for Mac (some observations)  (Read 1735 times)

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
Peak 5.0 for Mac (some observations)
« on: August 20, 2005, 08:37:35 AM »
Received my Peak 5.0 upgrade yesterday. Figured I would take a stab at mastering with it this AM.

One of the features Bias brags on is their ability to now burn without JAM. I found it possible to create the playlist, but at the same time it's just as time consuming as before. The only difference is now you have a graphical way of doing things. However, this is still a far cry from what Emagic had with Waveburner. In fact, nothing I've used comes close to the old WaveBurner Pro that ran in Mac OS 8/9 (that includes the POS that Apple is now calling WaveBurner). I never was able to get a CD to burn from within Peak and ended up saving the file as a JAM image and burning it... this didn't make me very happy.

It will now safely open files larger than 2 GB. This is a boon for those of us using 24-bit files. Not sure what Steve did because he claimed until there was a universal standard, he wasn't going to change his application, but apparently he did.

I've had one repeatable crash after a bounce that I've sent off to Bias. Now, I'll see how long it takes before I can get that resolved.

Overall, this update has not been a plus for me except in one area. I'll keep folks posted as I get more use out of the application and get use to more of the subtle features.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline not logged in

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Peak 5.0 for Mac (some observations)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 09:49:16 AM »
if you are still using jam to burn your cds, with toast 6 its possible (and easy) to burn cds without using jam.

under "utilities" in toast select "mount disc image" and then select the jam image file saved in peak.  this will mount the file as an image on your desktop.  then just drag the mounted image onto toast, and burn your cd.

apart from opening files larger than 2gb and burning without jam, are there any significant improvements over peak 4?  thanks

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 09:59:37 AM »
if you are still using jam to burn your cds, with toast 6 its possible (and easy) to burn cds without using jam.

It's actually very easy to use JAM and takes less steps than what you proposed using Toast.

I'll post more later. I have to run.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline not logged in

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 10:56:53 AM »
i had jam 5 when i stopped using jam to burn cds.  i found jam 5 rather tedious because it first saved a disc image of the file to be burned and then started toast to do the actual burning.  earlier versions of jam worked on a stand alone basis (ie no need for toast).

at some point my toast 5/jam 5 installation began to act up (excessive crashes, etc) which was when i discovered that with toast 6 i could burn jam images without jam.  so i never got jam 6 and don't have any experiences with it.

i'm hopeful that the forthcoming toast 7 with simplify the process of burning jam images....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com