Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: WaveLab: how to increase a channel's volume?  (Read 7725 times)

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
WaveLab: how to increase a channel's volume?
« on: January 28, 2006, 02:14:11 PM »
hi guys!
while i am mastering my recording with wavelab, i wonder how to increase the volume of the right channel.
i was standing quite left during the show and therefore the left channel is simply louder.
i think i dont just do decrease the left channels volume, but to decrease its amplitude. or increase the right one, dont know whats the better way.
how can i manage that?
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:
Microphone Madness HLSC-1 > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

OLD ONE:
Core Sound Low Cost Binaurals + Low Sensivity Option > 9V Battery Box > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

tod3sschu3tze's Live Show & Bootlegs Trading List: http://trade.tod3sschu3tze.de

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: WaveLab: how to increase a channel's volume?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 04:07:39 PM »
highlight the channel you want to raise the gain in.  then go to process > change gain.  then raise it to match the other one.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 04:15:40 PM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 04:35:14 PM »
You can of course just play with the level controls on WaveLab's "mastering area" (which you can enable via the "Options" menu). When you're done, press "Render" and just render everything to a new wave file.
That way you can also add VST effects and dithering (if needed).

I have the German version of WaveLab, so I don't know if it's really called "mastering area" in the English version. But I'm sure you'll find out ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 04:37:12 PM by Sebastian »

RebelRebel

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 04:50:25 PM »
Just dont try to get them exactly identical, otherwise you will screw with the Stereo Imaging.

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 09:01:51 PM »
@ Gordon
thats what i was looking for! thanks!

@ Sebastian
i am from germany, i have the german version, too. i know what you mean, i think "mastering area" is correct.
i tried your option before, but it didnt satisfy me, but thanks anyways.

@ Teddy
you are right, of course.
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:
Microphone Madness HLSC-1 > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

OLD ONE:
Core Sound Low Cost Binaurals + Low Sensivity Option > 9V Battery Box > iRiver H120 + Rockbox > USB > WaveLab > Audio-CD / FLAC

tod3sschu3tze's Live Show & Bootlegs Trading List: http://trade.tod3sschu3tze.de

RebelRebel

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 09:12:47 PM »
no problem my German Brethren.  ;D ;)

@ Gordon

@ Sebastian
i am from germany, i have the german version, too. i know what you mean, i think "mastering area" is correct.

@ Teddy

Offline tod3sschu3tze

• Taperssection Regular
  • Tape Metal!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 06:57:42 AM »
no problem my German Brethren.  ;D ;)

@ Gordon

@ Sebastian

@ Teddy

:laugh:
Stealth Setup(s):

NEW ONE:

OLD ONE:

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 03:39:03 PM »
I had trouble doing this basic op in wavelab today.  I was able to decrease the gain on the left channel and then tried to do the same on the right channel.  It kept messing with my left channel and doing nothing to the right.  I tried selecting both channels, then re-selecting just the right, I tried exiting and re-starting. Nothing helped. I finally had to go to cooledit.  This isn't the first time I've been this behavior in wavelab.  Not sure if it is an amd64ism or something else..

kskreider

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 03:57:20 PM »
I had trouble doing this basic op in wavelab today.  I was able to decrease the gain on the left channel and then tried to do the same on the right channel.  It kept messing with my left channel and doing nothing to the right.  I tried selecting both channels, then re-selecting just the right, I tried exiting and re-starting. Nothing helped. I finally had to go to cooledit.  This isn't the first time I've been this behavior in wavelab.  Not sure if it is an amd64ism or something else..

No, I think that there is a bug with versions before 5.01b.  Are you using an earlier version than that?

RebelRebel

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 04:33:59 PM »
Brian..that is a bug. Like KK said. You need 5.01b if you dont have it...I am all to familiar with this problem.

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 12:24:22 PM »
So if I have version 5.00, is the upgrade merely a "patch" or do I need to "upgrade". :o ;D 8)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 12:50:50 PM »
Wavelab 5.0 is hugely flawed in regard to single channel behavior.  There is NO WAY that version went through anything that could remotely be called "QA" before it was released.

That said... I have to keep two versions around.  The broken version with all of my custom dynamic compression curves and the new "fixed" version that does channels correctly.  None of the compression curves on the fixed version worked correctly for me (even the default ones).  They compress about 5X more than they should. It is possible that the fixed version would work correctly if I de-installed my original version but I'm not going to risk it for now.

Anyone using wavelabl 6?

RebelRebel

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 03:26:45 PM »
Wavelab 5.0 is hugely flawed in regard to single channel behavior.  There is NO WAY that version went through anything that could remotely be called "QA" before it was released.

That said... I have to keep two versions around.  The broken version with all of my custom dynamic compression curves and the new "fixed" version that does channels correctly.  None of the compression curves on the fixed version worked correctly for me (even the default ones).  They compress about 5X more than they should. It is possible that the fixed version would work correctly if I de-installed my original version but I'm not going to risk it for now.

Anyone using wavelabl 6?

I demod it..very nice. espescially the SRC. BUT Samplitude burns it asunder, so I bought it and Sequoia....I highly reccomend those two.

Offline rowjimmy

• rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 03:57:29 PM »
Anyone using wavelabl 6?
I demod it..very nice. espescially the SRC. BUT Samplitude burns it asunder, so I bought it and Sequoia....I highly reccomend those two.

Damn... and here I've gotten so very comfortable with WaveLab.
Samplitude is that much better, you say?
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline gewwang

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 04:21:23 PM »

I'm glad you brought this up. I've been using v5.00a for over a year now and did the same thing as you - got frustrated and went to CEP to adjust levels.

I've also tried opening the channel I want to change gain on in a new window, change gain then copy it back over the original wav file's right channel but get stopped when wavelab complained that the new file would exceed 2GB.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com