Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XP Home or Pro for audio computer?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline trajhip2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
XP Home or Pro for audio computer?
« on: June 01, 2006, 12:52:52 PM »
Since the registry went bad on my audio computer (high-end Dell), I've decided to start fresh with a clean install of my audio software (Adobe Audition, Wavelab, Waves, Ozone etc). For audio purposes does it make a difference if I use either XP Home or XP Pro as the OS? My understanding is that XP Pro has a lot of additional stuff related to networking that I won't really need, but I don't know if it has any additional features that would make audio processing run better (or worse) than the cheaper XP Home. Thanks for any feedback.

Steve

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: XP Home or Pro for audio computer?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 12:55:41 PM »
doesnt really matter IME.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 01:04:47 PM »

I have had both Home and Pro I find home is faster there is less overhead with it pro is more for networking I dont see any other advantage and all the extra stuff pro has running in the background slows it down. Home has less overhead for sure. IMO

Chris Church

PS... In the same machine I had pro crash all the time I switched to home and it was all good.

Since the registry went bad on my audio computer (high-end Dell), I've decided to start fresh with a clean install of my audio software (Adobe Audition, Wavelab, Waves, Ozone etc). For audio purposes does it make a difference if I use either XP Home or XP Pro as the OS? My understanding is that XP Pro has a lot of additional stuff related to networking that I won't really need, but I don't know if it has any additional features that would make audio processing run better (or worse) than the cheaper XP Home. Thanks for any feedback.

Steve
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 07:06:50 PM »
start here.....    http://www.musicxp.net/
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 06:07:08 PM »
I know this a old topic but I was about to post the exact same question.  any advantages or disadvantages to pro?  my computer buddy swears by it and hates home but he doesn't do the kind of editing etc that I do.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 09:59:51 AM »
For audio only stuff Home and Pro have very little difference.  Pro adds the capability to use a Windows domain (Mainly a Work Thing), to be able to network more than I believe 5 PCs together, and some more robust backup and management functionality.  At the core, they are the same OS, they just have different functionality enabled.  Hitting one of the optimization sites suggested above should be applicable to both systems and can help performance.  Typically if you are seeing crashes on either platform you have a driver or hardware problem.   

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com