Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Volume Envelope (loud crowd between songs)  (Read 5586 times)

Offline panther65

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Volume Envelope (loud crowd between songs)
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 05:34:44 PM »
I've used the "amplify" setting in Audacity, but there is no way to fade out and into the non-clapping portion-only a sudden drop in volume and a sudden increase in volume. Seems like the envelope setting in Audacity (it's what I use for editing), would give a gradual decrease/increase in volume. Would that be the case?
Schoeps MK4>KCY250/5I>Schoeps VMS 5 U>Tascam HD-P2

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 08:19:20 PM »
I've used the "amplify" setting in Audacity, but there is no way to fade out and into the non-clapping portion-only a sudden drop in volume and a sudden increase in volume. Seems like the envelope setting in Audacity (it's what I use for editing), would give a gradual decrease/increase in volume. Would that be the case?

Get hold of the envelope tool (in the top left corner next to the other tools) to take control of the volume.......in Audacity, look here:

Help > Contents... > Audacity Help > Other > Envelope Editing

Have fun!  ;)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 10:21:30 AM »
I used this in SF8 and found that it sounded best if I arched the volume, rather then just lowering it. Took a while to get it right, but so does most everything I do on the computer.
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

Offline panther65

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 05:10:46 PM »
Starting to get the hang of envelope tool in Audacity and I like it a lot. I can gradually lower crowd noise and gradually raise levels as clapping ceases. Great tool. I am squashing crowd noise to very low levels. What do traders think of doing this to crowd noise?
Schoeps MK4>KCY250/5I>Schoeps VMS 5 U>Tascam HD-P2

dorrcoq

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 03:43:33 PM »
Starting to get the hang of envelope tool in Audacity and I like it a lot. I can gradually lower crowd noise and gradually raise levels as clapping ceases. Great tool. I am squashing crowd noise to very low levels. What do traders think of doing this to crowd noise?

Personally, I like the crowd noise to at least be close to actual.  I know that for quieter pieces of music this sometimes means the crowd is too loud though, and then I don't mind it being lowered.  One reason I'm not a huge fan of soundboards is that they don't have much crowd noise, which to me sounds "sterile".

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 04:39:30 PM »

Personally, I like the crowd noise to at least be close to actual.  I know that for quieter pieces of music this sometimes means the crowd is too loud though, and then I don't mind it being lowered.  One reason I'm not a huge fan of soundboards is that they don't have much crowd noise, which to me sounds "sterile".

I don't think this is really a conversation about whether the crowd noise is "actual." It's about the fact that the mics are often closer to the audience than the musicians, and thus the audience is louder than the musicians at times. I guess that might be "actual" from the perspective of being in the audience, but it SUCKS when the audience comes in so loud when compared to the music that you have to literally reach for the volume control on your stereo -- b/c at that point, you're just manually compressing the signal by hand.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com