Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Laptop Recording Preferences  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Trel573

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Laptop Recording Preferences
« on: July 24, 2007, 12:36:09 PM »
I'm very new to this, so please be patient.  I have 2 programs that I believe I can record audio with: Audacity & Nomad Jukebox.  I have the Nomad software from an mp3 player I bought in '03.  It appears to be the same software mentioned in all of the JB3 discussion.  Does this software work similarly with my laptop as it does with the JB3 unit?

Also, is my laptop capable of live recordings? Here's some spec's:
Inspiron 9400, Intel(R)Core(TM)2 CPU, T7200@2.00GHz, 998 MHz, 2.00 GB of RAM, SigmaTelHigh DefinitionAudio and/or Bluetooth  High Quality Audio sound cards.

Offline Trel573

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Laptop Recording Preferences
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:45:34 PM »
ok, so I've found out that stereo recordings are definitely possible, multi-track matrixes are maybe possible, and from what another source told me I may have some issues with certain USB 2.0 audio interface devices. 

Will the Nomad Jukebox software produce better recordings than audacity?

Offline Trel573

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 04:40:56 PM »
ok, so I'm looking at the motu 828mkii for audio interface.  If I'm deciphering this information correctly and I already have the recording software, then this is the only other major piece of equipment needed to record live music (obviously not considering mics, cords, etc.). Am I correct?

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 04:56:44 PM »
the laptop is more than capable of recording

don't use the jukebox software, better use audacity or any other "pro" software like SoundForge, CoolEdit.... [add your fav software here]
then what you will need depends on your mics, etc... you can record go from something like a UA5 (pre, a>d) to a VXPocket.

Please tell us the kind of mics, budget etc... you planned and maybe more experienced people taping with laptop than me can help

welcome to taping world! :)

Offline Trel573

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 10:22:59 AM »
not sure about the mics yet, but the town I live in has several "smaller" venues (don't know if this matters) ranging from capacities of 250-1,000.  I prefer the sound of a multi channel matrix also. 

Initially, I don't want to exceed 1,500.00
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:08:45 PM by Trel573 »

easy jim

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 08:14:18 PM »
ok, so I'm looking at the motu 828mkii for audio interface.  If I'm deciphering this information correctly and I already have the recording software, then this is the only other major piece of equipment needed to record live music (obviously not considering mics, cords, etc.). Am I correct?

If you decide to go the MOTU route, I have one of my MOTUs in the Yard Sale right now that would be a lot cheaper than an 828mkII.  The UltraLite also has 2 mic pres, and an additional 6 1/4" inputs plus s/pdif coax.  It is bus-powerable with a Mac, or battery powerable, but I gather that must not be a big issue for you if considering the 828mkII which is AC power only.

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 05:24:55 AM »
That PC is plenty good. I run a much less speced machine and gets 16 channels to the inbuilt hard disc. (Admittedly through a very efficient RME Digiface card).

Assuming you already have the mics, what you need to add is sound card + mic pres + software. Here are my suggestions:

- the 828mkii is a quite decent sound card, I used to run one myself before gearmania took me. Eight channels may be a bit of overkill, but if yuo need them they are there. I cannot really say I love the mic pres though. They are useable as long as they are not cranked all the way up, and if you are planning on recording live shows they should suffice.
- mic pres, if you want more that two channels at a time, you need more mic pres. The sky is the limit there in price.
- software. I strongly suggest you look at the Samplitude series of software. The best bargain if you ask me is called Magix Music Studio deLuxe. It is the same sound machine as Samplitude (ie it sounds good and works good) and it allows you to burn finished CD-s from inside the application, not many other programs does the full cycle from recording/editing/mastering/CD-burning.

Ooh, by the way, find a rack case for the 828mkII, especially if you get extra mic preamps. They look much better without all the scratches and live longer as well.

Gunnar

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 08:48:24 AM »
not a big fan of the 828mkii (though I have one) it is a PITA to set up your I/O and I hate having to cycle through everything using the 1 knob...not user friendly at all! I only use it when I absolutely need more than 16 channels as I also have a 896HD and standard 828...there is something to be said for each I/O having a dedicated gain pot...

the water's clean and innocent

Offline JWard

• Taperssection Regular
  • The Hightailers - Gulf Coast Roots Rock
    • Tapir Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 06:39:53 PM »
I would also recommend having a 7200 RPM external hard-drive dedicated to audio and the DAW's temporary files.  You will have better performance with the audio and the OS on separate drives, especially if you multi-track, and it will increase the life of your drive.  If you want to be fully mobile, get a bus powered audio interface and an external battery for the laptop or battery power for your interface.  For 4 channel recording, I would consider the MOTU Ultralight.  I am happy with the Travler, and like the previous poster stated, I generally do not need to crank up the pre's.
There’s three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way....Isn’t that the wrong way?....Yeah, but faster!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com