Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT to Windows conversion possible? (newbie)  (Read 2415 times)

tree

• Trade Count: (0)
DAT to Windows conversion possible? (newbie)
« on: September 27, 2007, 02:05:55 PM »
Hi -
Sorry if this has been asked and answered over and over. I noticed the DAT > Macbook thread below but since that's Macintosh I wanted to ask regarding PC.

I have a few hundred DAT masters that Id love to get onto my computer. I haven't the slightest clue how to do this.  I'm going to get Soundforge soon onto the computer but it isn't installed at the moment.  The computer I'll be working on is pretty new and has several input jacks so I think I'd be set up to be compatible with whatever cords/equipment I'll need.

Can anyone out here help me out? What equipment will I need? I have a Sony D8 at the moment.  Id like to just hit "play" on the DAT and have it go to the computer, that way I can upload to websites and burn CDs.

Thanks - sorry if this is a repeat. Im a total newbie on this although ive been taping since 1997.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DAT to Windows conversion possible? (newbie)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 04:12:25 PM »
three ways..  well actually four, but I dont think you want the fourth..

one..   get a pci card like this one..  http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496-main.html    $99  and install..  you should be able to run your sony dat digitally into the soundcard and record (well, actually copy) the data to your hard drive in real time..  You will need the sony 7pin interface cable to do this..  If you dont have one, and the d8 is your only dat deck, you *will not* be able to copy your dats digitally..

two..  a usb interface like this..  http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html    $99     You still need the sony seven pin for the connection to your DAT, but this device runs into the usb port on your computer and you can record to your soundforge..  This is what I do, but with a product that is discontinued called "egosys u2a"..  It works well for me for dat to HD transfers..  Im not sure if the product I listed is bit perfect or whether it resamples, but this choice is MUCH better than option 4..

three..   bite the bullet and buy a Microtrack 2496 (or similar CF based digital in recorder, but all others are more expensive than this unit).   You will *STILL NEED* the sony 7pin, but you can bypass the computer transfer in a way.  Just connect your DAT to the microtrack (7pin coax cable out > coax in of microtrack) and hit play and record (other details in there Im leaving out re: microtrack settings).  Then you can just pop the flash card into the computer (or card reader) and drag/drop the files to your harddrive.

The fourth method is the analog transfer, which is the least desirable.  Just play out of your d8 to the line in of your computer and record to soundforge.   It'll work, but it is by no means a good way to transfer your dats to something HD based or burnable to cd/dvd...   ::edit::also.. on the microtrack option..  m audio is discontinuing the microtrack 1 and will be offering a microtrack 2 sometime soon..  There is a thread in the recording sectioin for more info.. basically the same unit with some additions..

There are other PCI soundcards and USB interfaces available, as I only listed two, but searching this board for related material will give you all the info you need..  good luck!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 04:15:31 PM by eric.B »
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »
you neglected to mention the best method:  DDS transfer. 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 04:21:18 PM »
you neglected to mention the best method:  DDS transfer. 

"Best" if you're able to find a functioning DDS drive, and have the technical know-how to make it all work, troubleshoot problems, etc.  The other options are far easier, I think.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 05:10:32 PM »
It may take a little knowledge of SCSI to get it to work, but using a DDS drive to transfer is much faster (2x as fast) with Audio capable DDS2 and DDS3 drives. 

FWIW - You can still find new Sony SDT-9000 drives on ebay and pricewatch at around $115 or less and the Sony Audio 12.2 FW is available for DL on the Internet - just search google.   

New Connor Seagate Python DDS 2 drives are impossible to find now though

It is important to note that DAT2Wav (which is now free to download) you can see the exact A-Time and P-Time (if recorded) where potential errors on the audio are.  It makes it wasy to identify any potential dropouts and diginoise may be.  You just kick it off and come back in an hour or so.  It is important to note that not on every tape you will be this lucky.

It is the only way I have been transfering for the last 5 years and I have no plans on going back.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 05:41:52 PM »

three..   bite the bullet and buy a Microtrack 2496 (or similar CF based digital in recorder, but all others are more expensive than this unit).   You will *STILL NEED* the sony 7pin, but you can bypass the computer transfer in a way.  Just connect your DAT to the microtrack (7pin coax cable out > coax in of microtrack) and hit play and record (other details in there Im leaving out re: microtrack settings).  Then you can just pop the flash card into the computer (or card reader) and drag/drop the files to your harddrive.

You can use any 16bit recording device with SPDIF input here.  I used to use my Nomad JB3 to transfer my DATs.  I ran the optical output from my Sony 59ES into the optical input of the JB3 and recorded real-time.  Then transfered to PC for tracking, etc.

Right now, I'm running my DATs into my HD-P2 and doing the same thing...  I've also been taping 24bit things off the TiVo (VH1 has been showing some cool live stuff lately).

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

tree

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 05:43:11 PM »
Thank you all so very much. I truly appreciate your expertise and advice.

I'm hoping to NOT go analog out, I do have a 7-pin so hopefully that'll work out for me.

Thank you again. I may need to hit you all up for further advice. Its funny how I consider myself a "taper" but some of the lingo is like another language. Its a lot more than just standing there w/a microphone.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 08:42:34 PM »
Thank you all so very much. I truly appreciate your expertise and advice.

I'm hoping to NOT go analog out, I do have a 7-pin so hopefully that'll work out for me.

Thank you again. I may need to hit you all up for further advice. Its funny how I consider myself a "taper" but some of the lingo is like another language. Its a lot more than just standing there w/a microphone.

If you got 7-pin then you are set.  Find something cheap that will record 16/44 or 16/48.  The MT2496 is a good candidate since it has coax SPDIF input.  It records to memory cards and those are are easy to transfer to your computer as WAV files. 

Once you transfer the WAV file, you can use Soundforge (I use Audacity) to convert you 16/48 to 16/44 for CD burning.  Then use CDWave to cut the long WAV file into shorter CD tracks.  Once done, use FLAC to compress the WAV files losslessly for trading.

You should keep everything you transfer as FLAC files somewhere safe (I use data CDRs and DVDRs stored in spindles in my closet).  That way you don't have to worry about transferring your DATs again, you can always pull the CDRs out...

Good luck, hit me up if you want more info...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Brett S.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • As seen in VT
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 03:59:52 AM »
As far as usefulness and economics go, I would go w/a good consumer grade sound card like the audiophile 24/96. Besides transfering your own stuff it is nice to have a good quality sound card avail for playback or whatever. I still use dat, and this is my method of transfer. But it also makes a nice frontend for computer based playback.

The microtrack or similar option is not bad either, because now you have a new device in which to record shows, w/better bit depth, and faster transfer speed.

If you are not as much into recording anymore and just into home listening I would suggest the first option.

Oh and when you do get around to transfer your stuff please pass it along......
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@started_off_on_heineken
Mics: MBHO KA500 - Sennheiser K3U/ME40,ME20 - (Mod) Oktava MC12's
Pres: BM2P+ UA5
Recorders: Oade Concert Mod R44 - M-Audio Microtrack II - Sony TCD-D7

stirinthesauce

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 09:31:41 AM »
just to note, the m-audio tranist (listed above) is optical in for the digi signal.  To go dat>pc, you will need a coax to optical converter, something along the lines of a m-audio c02 (not bit perfect) or the hosa odl 276 (bit perfect).  I have a m-audio transit and love it, but you do need a signal converter. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com