Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need some advice (BOOM content)  (Read 2806 times)

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
need some advice (BOOM content)
« on: January 06, 2005, 12:01:49 AM »
i have a pair of bose 301s. insert laugh here.  anyways a while back i blew one of them and installed 2 punch 8ohm free-air 8"s to replace the 2 shitty paper woofers. i happen to be right beside one of them  while rocking the fuck out and noticed a glow. its the wire leads to the tweeter from the crossover.. when they volume is cranked they glow as in fire glow. i can see it clearly  right through the port. should i be worried or is this somewhat  normal? btw, they are pushed w/ a shitty 75w  yamaha. no, im not as high as you mightthink.  :P
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: need some advice (BOOM content)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 10:13:32 AM »
I read a lot of audio boards as I pursue this other obnoxiously exspensive hobby since I am more than happy with my rig these days and have never ever heard of such a thing.  My guess is is that it is not the wire but something else.  Personally, I would have them looked at.  You should consider one of the new digital lines of receivers as well to replace that Yamaha!  Loving my XR-50, and my XR-45 is in Boulder at Bolder Cables getting the 1k mod job as we speak, with full bybee's to boot!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 10:15:14 AM »
i have a pair of bose 301s. insert laugh here.  anyways a while back i blew one of them and installed 2 punch 8ohm free-air 8"s to replace the 2 shitty paper woofers. i happen to be right beside one of them  while rocking the fuck out and noticed a glow. its the wire leads to the tweeter from the crossover.. when they volume is cranked they glow as in fire glow. i can see it clearly  right through the port. should i be worried or is this somewhat  normal? btw, they are pushed w/ a shitty 75w  yamaha. no, im not as high as you mightthink.  :P

a fire glow is quite normal, what I would do is light a match and leave it in there until the whole thing torches, then repeat replacement until that glow goes away
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 02:21:04 PM »
I've seen a glowing crossover before, but probably not as bad as you describe.  You might be clipping the amp and eventually fry the tweeter.  May want to turn it down a bit.  :-\

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 04:15:15 PM »
yes. simply turning it down seems to work fine. thanks all. +'s all around even daryan.

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 03:32:32 PM »
+'s all around even daryan.

sacrilege!

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 03:35:26 PM »
funny you say that. the first people to post to this was mr. BOOOM himself and then trey who was on the "short" end of a daryan soldering job.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com