Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6  (Read 78569 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #255 on: September 29, 2019, 01:05:16 AM »
My Sound Devices branded 32GB card failed with a Data Error once today during a shoot.  Just once thankfully.  First time for everything.  Writing only 6 tracks 32bit 48KHz.  It had passed for me when stress testing to the maximum possible on the MixPre-6 II.

yeah the smaller cards i like to test and test.

its not fair that a 32GB card only gets tested for under 2 hr when a 128GB has to go 7+

i thought i was good with the new 64GB card i was testing but it failed in its 8th hour. in a perfect world id like to see any device go 100+ hrs on the bench before i put it to any mission critical task
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline rick.lang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #256 on: September 29, 2019, 01:07:26 AM »
If you find that perfect world, be sure and invite us too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #257 on: September 29, 2019, 01:22:35 AM »
If you find that perfect world, be sure and invite us too!

ive got loads of devices that pass that test, tbh. every other bit bucket i use can do that. In reality id be happy if i can find any card over 32GB that can do 10 hours without errors on the mixpre but i havent found one yet. and this is not the first failure reported with the supported 32GB card...im going to start doing a 2-track backup out of the lineout with my mixpre
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 09:35:16 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline rick.lang

• Taperssection Regular
Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #258 on: September 29, 2019, 10:38:10 AM »
Jerry, remember my post about the Wise SDXC 128GB card in the forum section on successful cards.  It should meet your specs.  At some point doing the job right is worth it.  I’m taking my own advice and going to replace my Sound Devices 32GB card with my Wise 128GB this week in preparation for next weekend’s music video.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #259 on: September 29, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »
At some point doing the job right is worth it.

agreed, i just feel bad for people who have to shell out an extra $200 to get the full use out of their unit

a lot of us are hobbyists and on a budget

for now ill keep testing and plan use my 32GB sandisk pro micro. The only card that ive never seen have an error in 10+ hours of testing

its good for 10 hrs at the 6ch of 24/48 i normally do

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #260 on: September 29, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
Hey Jerry

If you want I can order some Integral 128 or 256GB SD cards for you from Amazon.co.uk and then ship them to you if you like.
They works like charm, offer high performance and are priced very attractive.
Send a PM and we will sort that.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #261 on: September 30, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »
I reported the unstoppable timecode running wild bug which effects the MixPre-6 to not respond to STOP button at all.

And got the highly ignorant copy paste reply from Sound Devices support regarding supported cards.
They did not even ask about the bug I reported.
Instead they made a comment Looking up the cards you listed, it looks like two of them may be Micro SD cards
None of the cards I listed was micro SD cards. They are full sized SDHC and SDXC cards from reputable manufacturers like Sandisk, Toshiba and Kingston.

I'm beginning to believe that Sound Devices support is drowned in tickets regarding cards so they revert to copy pasting in hope to close the ticket.

Thank you for contacting Sound Devices. You are correct that the only card that has been thoroughly tested for the MixPre Series is the SAM-32 SD card. However, as stated on our Approved Media page, “Many SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards from other reputable manufacturers, like Delkin or SanDisk, that meet or exceed class 10 speeds are acceptable.” (https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-series-approved-media-list/) Please use that to find SD cards that work for you.

Looking up the cards you listed, it looks like two of them may be Micro SD cards. If that is the case, it is not recommended to use Micro SD cards with the MixPre as they are highly likely to encounter errors.

Thanks,

Technical Support
Sound Devices, LLC

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #262 on: September 30, 2019, 12:57:24 PM »
Looking up the cards you listed, it looks like they may be SD cards. If that is the case, it is not recommended to use SD cards with the MixPre as almost all SD cards are highly likely to encounter errors when used with the Mixpre series.

Fixed that for them ;)

the catch-all response its annoying. i tested over a dozen cards and the *only* one of those that doesnt fail is a 32GB micro

and now we have multiple confirmed failures on the only supported card they recommend

putting burden of media testing entirely on the users is not great support

it seems 4.01 is less stable than 3.03, no real improvement with media compatability, and I personally just had a lockup mid-recording and had to reboot.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 01:00:08 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #263 on: October 02, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »
My apologies for not reading thru the entire 6 part thread, but how easy is it to set up a 3M for 2 channel stereo recording? Thanks.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #264 on: October 02, 2019, 08:44:24 PM »
My apologies for not reading thru the entire 6 part thread, but how easy is it to set up a 3M for 2 channel stereo recording? Thanks.

very easy but there are a ton of cheaper 2 channel recorders with phantom if thats all you need

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #265 on: October 03, 2019, 04:45:09 PM »

very easy but there are a ton of cheaper 2 channel recorders with phantom if thats all you need

A lot of cheap 3’s and 3M’s on the market right now. I’d rather own one of these than a Tascam, Zoom or Marantz.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #266 on: October 03, 2019, 04:49:06 PM »
can't speak for the 3m but the 3 you would disarm channel channel 3  (push the gain knob for the options) and in record settings tun off l/r mix.  thus a 2 channel recording.  very easy.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #267 on: October 03, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »
With a 3 you can also use custom mode and record all three channels as ISOs (in a polywav). I don't think the 3m can use custom mode however.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #268 on: October 03, 2019, 05:30:28 PM »
I would definitely go with the 3. If you need the M features, you can buy that as an add-on, but with the 3M you don't get Mid-Side and maybe a couple of other things...

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #269 on: October 03, 2019, 06:01:06 PM »
I would definitely go with the 3. If you need the M features, you can buy that as an add-on, but with the 3M you don't get Mid-Side and maybe a couple of other things...

I second this. The M have some limitations and I have the M plugin and it's useless, at least to me.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com