Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundbars under $500 ?  (Read 7850 times)

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Soundbars under $500 ?
« on: October 19, 2019, 08:54:57 PM »
Do not laugh
I just redid the living room to a "sleek clean look" and don't want the clutter from my old surround system.

Looking at the Sonos, Vizio, Yamaha, Sony...

Anything out there that will do better?

Trying for better sound on the few times that the TV isn't dumb ambiance when guests come over.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline The Other Chris

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My list:
Re: Soundbars under $500 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 11:39:21 PM »
I’ve got a middle of the road Klipsch sound bar and subwoofer that I think sound great.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=klipsch+soundbar&ref=is_s
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:45:53 PM by The Other Chris »

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »

I have this one https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-LAS454B-Soundbar-Model/dp/B012B7S4DE and it's really nice. Surprisingly musical - I use it for casual Bluetooth streaming from the tablet and it sounds great.

Has an optical input for my "smart" bluray player that I use to stream movies and such. The remote allows you to control the volume of the bar and the wireless subwoofer separately which is convenient. It does a great job of producing faux surround from a 2.1 system. One of the best purchases I've made. Got it when it was being replaced by a new model for $150 brand new. Discontinued but Amazon sellers still have them.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 05:45:22 PM »
I stumbled on the Yamaha YAS-209
Subdued, pretty accurate, and super easy to configure. (I helped the sales guy plug it in... One Toslink + one HDMI-ARC.)

The Klipsch stuff that I listened to was capable of much higher volumes, but more "wowzah" in coloration.
I definitely am considering either the Yamaha or the Klipsch Bar40.

I keep thinking I could bracket out a stereo pair, but ...clutter...
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »
Bumping this thread from last year, it looks like we'll be replacing a secondary HD television with a 4K HDR upgrade. 

The old set currently uses a soundbar by same manufacturer, we'll be switching to different manufacturer.  As a secondary set this space can only fit a 43" set, we had previously used a signature series by Pioneer Elite before it failed when we switched to one by the set manufacturer.  We do watch movies on this set and one thing that seems to be a problem with sound bars is that they surprisingly lack a center channel which is where the dialog primarily resides. 

Any sound bar recommendations in 2020 that would fit under a 43" set and include a center channel speaker so you can actually understand dialog from movies?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:14:59 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 06:10:50 AM »
Bumping this thread from last year, it looks like we'll be replacing a secondary HD television with a 4K HDR upgrade. 

The old set currently uses a soundbar by same manufacturer, we'll be switching to different manufacturer.  As a secondary set this space can only fit a 43" set, we had previously used a signature series by Pioneer Elite before it failed when we switched to one by the set manufacturer.  We do watch movies on this set and one thing that seems to be a problem with sound bars is that they surprisingly lack a center channel which is where the dialog primarily resides. 

Any sound bar recommendations in 2020 that would fit under a 43" set and include a center channel speaker so you can actually understand dialog from movies?

We're upgrading TV's too (55" Sony) and we were able to catch this soundbar by the same manufacturer on sale.  The soundbar has a center channel speaker which was a must for "watching the news" in addition to watching 4K programming.  We haven't actually used this soundbar yet but we were happy with the demo...

3.1ch Dolby Atmos®/ DTS:X™ Soundbar | HT-G700

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sound-bars/ht-g700

MAIN UNIT SIZE – BODY ONLY (W X H X D) - 38-5/8" x 2-5/8" x 4-3/8"

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 10:32:07 PM »
^ Thank you, I haven't looked furthur ;) since posting and dolby atomos sound bars are inviting.  Every sound bar should include a center channel speaker where most dialog lives, seems like a no brainer but it is surprising so many don't.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 10:10:52 AM »
^
We ended up returning the Sony soundbar that I mentioned above and went with a Bose soundbar that we are pleased with.  The Sony soundbar was slightly wider than the available space that we had to work with without doing some cabinet carpentry work, so we went for a smaller soundbar.  The Bose soundbar we chose does have a center speaker and it is the perfect size for our space.  We had some store credit so we ended up paying ~ $500 for the Bose bar.  We chose not to add the separate subwoofer for the Bose bar. (there was a sub included with the Sony soundbar).

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/home_theater/bose-soundbar-500.html

Speaker:  1.75" H x 31.5" W x 4.0" D  (7.0 lbs)  The

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 11:18:40 AM »
I went for a cheaper setup and bought a VIZIO M658-G1 M-Series Quantum 65” 4K HDR Smart TV and a VIZIO SB3621n-E8M 36" 2.1 Sound Bar System.  Total cost under $1K.  Basically, I get 85% of the quality of a setup that costs twice as much.  So I'm happy with that.

I just checked at Amazon, and this tv sells for $1,199; but I got the tv and soundbar at Best Buy last year during the holidays for several hundred less.  The soundbar was $129.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.15 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com