Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soldering Hirose H10 connector and wire gauge  (Read 3717 times)

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Soldering Hirose H10 connector and wire gauge
« on: April 16, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »
I'm making power cables for my SD788t.  I'm wondering what gauge wire is necessary running from my battery to the 788.  I notice that the SD power supply uses 16 gauge.  That's some heavy wire to connect to the pins of the Hirose connector.  I have cables with barrel connectors that are 18 gauge and that will be a challenge to solder them to the tiny pins.  I also have 24 gauge power cables that would be much easier to solder.  I was going to use the #24 until I checked the SD power supply and saw #16 wire.
I'm going to use Talent Cell and Maxoak batteries to power the 788.
Has anyone made cables with the Hirose?  What gauge did you use?  Do you have any advice (tricks) for soldering to the pins?  I have very good soldering skills; make my own mic cables, input "stubbies".
Thanks,
Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline old and in the way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Soldering Hirose H10 connector and wire gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:18:54 PM »
The 4 pin Hirose pins are incredibly small and there is no room for error . I've made a few for my 744 788 and Zoom f8n . i Used 26 awg wire . i've found that 26 awg millspec cable works fine unless you are using Rt angle hirose which require strain relief with shink tubing . Cable Techniques has all your connectors . If your not comfortable soldering they have ready made cables. 

Offline old and in the way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 07:37:21 PM »
Skycrafters has surplus milspec cable 26/2 Braided + shield is what ive used for power as well as mic cables.Since my new deck is my SD 833 uses a 4 pin xlr i use a different cable.

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 12:04:34 PM »
Well, I have one made and it was a challenge.  I still wonder what is the minimum gauge wire to carry the load. I'm going to try #24 next.  I guess if the 788 starts up and the wire doesn't get hot, it's OK. :shrug:  I'm tempted to open up the factory charger/cable and see how they dealt with the #16 wire it claims to be. :o
Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 02:42:22 AM »
I soldered a shit-ton of those things when the SD722 first hit. Even then I needed that Rat Shack articulated clamp thing w/ the magnifying glass.

I could probably spin up a few more using my fly tying/fishing gear, but I'm saving my sight for reading and fishing.

Miss the days of 4 pin full-sized XLR power>recorder.

</grumpy old dude rant>

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 11:31:52 AM »
Well, I have one made and it was a challenge.  I still wonder what is the minimum gauge wire to carry the load. I'm going to try #24 next.  I guess if the 788 starts up and the wire doesn't get hot, it's OK. :shrug:  I'm tempted to open up the factory charger/cable and see how they dealt with the #16 wire it claims to be. :o
Dave
Current carrying capacity will depend on the length of the wire as well as its diameter.
This chart says that 26 gauge wire has a capacity of 2.2 amps as chassis wiring, which would be as short as possible. 24 gauge can go 3.5 amps.

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

instead of opening it up, try measuring the resistance of the known length wire and see if the chart will reveal the likely contents?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 11:33:55 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com