Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Uses today for Unbalanced Lo Z to Balanced Hi Z adapters?

(1/2) > >>

Charliebrm:
I have 4 of these Radio Shack 274-017C adapters. Frankly I bought them ages ago expecting I'd be handling more small band recording but my path didn't go that route, with direct cabling, so I've never used them.

Now I'm more involved with recording from various lavalier mics – typically 3 mm TRS needing plugin power – into a variety of portable devices, particularly Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-70D neither of which are friendly to 1/8" plugin power and unbalanced lavaliers. I'm aware of the Rode VXLR Pro as a resort but I've got boxes of components and parts looking for something to get soldered to them.

Any thoughts on what the internals or the complete adapters could be applied to in this age? Are the transformers even considered passable for audio? I hate throwing out things that can have another kick at the can if I knew what they'd be good for.

Melanie:
I patched out of a friend from CT. for the Dead shows at Autzen stadium in 1994, he and another taper would use converters like this to run long cabling from one side of the board directly facing the stacks to another taper on the other side of the board. This gave us direct straight shots to the speakers, one taper on one side with his deck and one on the other side. Great sounding set-up, I've run at Autzen throughout the years, this was prob. the best sound I've got from there. They used equal cable lengths for both channels. This is a good use for these, I believe. Bob

Gutbucket:
Those adapters are a good safe option anytime you need to interconnect unbalanced and balanced gear, providing/accepting a true balanced and isolated signal on the 3 pin XLR. Using them, you don't have to worry about the particulars of various direct-wired conversion schemes specific to different pieces of equipment. 

rocksuitcase:
Quick question- is the other end 1/4 inch female?

Charliebrm:

--- Quote from: rocksuitcase on May 28, 2021, 01:52:01 PM ---Quick question- is the other end 1/4 inch female?

--- End quote ---
Yes. The "input" end is 1/4" female. Tip Sleeve 1/4"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version