Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

AUD/SBD Delay

(1/4) > >>

BradleyJY15:
Didn't see any recent topics on this...

When you tape AUD & SBD sources, how do you account for the delay?

I walked distances off and went with 1,125 ft/sec @ ~68 F.

Do you normally go by distance/equation or line up wave forms?

BradleyJY15:
I am an avid golfer but use GPS not a range/pin finder. Shooting the distance to a stack seems best. Is this going to change my golf game?

hoserama:
If already time aligned on the same deck, then just find a nice clean high frequency transient (think hi-hat) and align on that.

rocksuitcase:
I am not great at this, but for my 12 show SBD/AUD adventure in 2018, I found doing it by ear/eye worked better than the actual math (Audacity). Although, I estimated, no golfing GPS for me. (no golfing period, but that's a different topic-OT)

Gutbucket:
I typically just line it up later by sight and by ear using spoken stage dialog between songs and/or drum kit transients.  But I still like to note a distance estimate in my recording notes by walking off the linear distance from PA or stage to the recording position, at which point I can approximate the needed delay using the 1ms = 1.1' rule of thumb.  That gets within putting range.

The latest recorders I've been using have the ability to apply a delay to each channel at the input of the machine, and I've thought about potentially using using that capability to create a live matrix mix for a patcher.  But more often than not I'm using all channels of one recorder for mics and just record the SBD if available to a separate machine and deal with it later.

Of course you need to time it right to sink one past the miniature windmill hazard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version