Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time  (Read 108693 times)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2007, 11:01:01 PM »
the one i ran did not have a power switch or a switch for phantom, once it was plugged into power it was on.

Did you like the Aerco MP-2 better than your PSP-2? Just curious.

didn't do any close enough comparisons to be able to give an accurate response, but i did really really like the sets i ran with the aerco, the yonder that is on etree (http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508223) sounded really nice IMO. the Truckers set didn't sound as dialed in (http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508240)

I still need to track and possibly torrent my source from Panic in San Diego...
ck1x/mk46>JWmod460>aerco mp2>722
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2007, 07:57:04 AM »
I'm in! Ordered one last night. Jerry is going to put phantom power switches on the side, so I can flip the phantom off for SBD patching without having to open the case and mess with the jumpers.

Excited to join the team!

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2007, 12:49:11 PM »
I'm in! Ordered one last night. Jerry is going to put phantom power switches on the side, so I can flip the phantom off for SBD patching without having to open the case and mess with the jumpers.

nice!

i bet its gonna sound fantastic behind the pelusos - keep us posted when you get some stuff taped
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2007, 12:59:47 PM »

nice!

i bet its gonna sound fantastic behind the pelusos - keep us posted when you get some stuff taped

Probably not much until Oct. Then it'll be somewhat busy - some AUDs, some SBDs. This was a good time in my taping schedule to wait a month for something to be built!

Once the R-4 sells, I'll be purchasing an R-09. That'll be one compact half of the rig!

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2007, 02:33:34 PM »
Also, Jerry is putting the phantom power toggle switch in place of the 1/8" output jack. He could have put it on the side and retained the 1/8" output, but we were afraid it may accidentally get bumped (don't want to send 48V phantom to a SBD!).

Oh, and it's one switch that disables phantom power to both channels. The jumpers are still functional inside, if I wanted to just lift phantom off of one channel for whatever reason.

Really excited for this box!

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2007, 04:02:30 PM »
So I should have the money to order one of these at the end of the week.  I just need a bit of help making sure I get the right set-up for my needs.  Here are a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with:

1. I'm leaning towards the modified single gain + balance knob set-up.  I've used the 722 with unlinked gain before, and made me never want to try it again.  Any major drawbacks to this new set-up?  I plan on running AT 943 mics with this box into the R-09, with a possible upgrade to DPA4023 next spring.

2. Stepped gain or pots?  I have no idea which to get...  Anything I should consider?

3. If I get stepped, what steps do you recommend?  All I can figure right now is 0, +12, +18, +24, +30, +42, but have no idea with my mics.  I do mostly loud rock shows, and occasional acoustic sets.

4. Is there anyway to get a smaller on/off switch?  I mostly run stealth, and this thing will like reside in my pockets during shows.  I get the feeling that's the kind of switch I would inadvertantly knock...

Any help appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2007, 04:39:35 PM »
I hate pots.. Love stepped for quiet and reliability over time.  The balance knob version sounds cool but I never adjust balance in the field so I'd hate to introduce a pot just for that feature. I figure balance tweaks can be done in post.

My steps are in 10dB increments.  The steps you mentioned would be fine..

The on/off on mine is very small. I keep gaffe tape on it and don't have any trouble. I think Jerry could shim it so it would be recessed below the surface and impossible to flip without inserting something.

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2007, 04:57:31 PM »
I hate pots.. Love stepped for quiet and reliability over time.  The balance knob version sounds cool but I never adjust balance in the field so I'd hate to introduce a pot just for that feature. I figure balance tweaks can be done in post.

My steps are in 10dB increments.  The steps you mentioned would be fine..

The on/off on mine is very small. I keep gaffe tape on it and don't have any trouble. I think Jerry could shim it so it would be recessed below the surface and impossible to flip without inserting something.

Great, thanks for the advice.  The only thing about the traditional gain knob set-up is that I'd always have them at the same level anyway, so less knobs to touch.  Come to think of it I really only need one knob...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2007, 05:48:05 PM »

Is your on-off switch not locking? 

My DB2 has a locking power switch - you have to pull out on the bat to toggle positions and when the bat is released it locks the switch in place.  I'm surprised he doesn't use those on the MP2.  Maybe that would be something to ask for.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2007, 12:15:22 AM »
Does the MP2 work ok using rechargeable batteries?

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2007, 01:38:15 AM »
Just picked up a used unit. Looking forward to running it. Guess I'll look back in the thread & see if they can be externally powered.

;D
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2007, 12:03:25 PM »
External power is 9-18volts.  I run mine off a wally lion (unless I need a smaller form factor) and consumption is very frugal.

I haven't tried rechargable 9 volts internally.

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2007, 02:08:07 PM »
External power is 9-18volts.  I run mine off a wally lion (unless I need a smaller form factor) and consumption is very frugal.

I haven't tried rechargable 9 volts internally.

I power mine with a BG 10-14-88 and have gotten well over 8 hours of use with only one bar missing from the battery life meter.  It would probably run the Aerco for > 24 hours.  Half the time when I return home from a ~ 3 hour show, the battery charger still thinks the battery is full.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2007, 07:30:01 PM »
I power mine with a BG 10-14-88 and have gotten well over 8 hours of use with only one bar missing from the battery life meter.  It would probably run the Aerco for > 24 hours.

Have you tested a full discharge cycle?  You might want to before you rely on it lasting 24 hours.

I ran a test with a BG 10-14-88 powering a portico and it took a long time for the first bar to go dark (hours) but the time between the last two was not very long and the time between the last bar and shut down was pretty quick (10s of minutes).  Based on the observed behavior, I think the meter is indicating something like output voltage relative to the operating range rather than stored charge.  If it accurately reported stored charge, it should have reported a linear discharge rate. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2007, 07:38:54 PM »
Have you tested a full discharge cycle?  You might want to before you rely on it lasting 24 hours.

I have not, and am generally pretty OCD about recharging after use.  My batteries usually are on the charger before I pass out after a show.

I'll bet with its light draw, however, that you can get some serious run-time out of 8000mah.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com