Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time  (Read 108775 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Re: Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2007, 06:24:17 PM »
Can I make a request that we don't clutter this thread about "Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time" with this discussion of a future transformer based pre?  Thanks.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2007, 06:27:04 PM »
Can I make a request that we don't clutter this thread about "Aerco MP-2 Information > $750 new & 1 Month Lead Time" with this discussion of a future transformer based pre?  Thanks.

I am sorry I was just answering questions... Some times threads go all over the place. I meant no disrespect.
I will wait for someone else to start a new thread about my new preamp... I am not interested in starting one since I have been called out as some one that cares more about selling then helping users here.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2007, 06:41:36 PM »
I just went to start "said thread", and found this:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79558.0.html

so here we go!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2007, 10:42:51 AM »
I'm going to pull the trigger on an Aerco & have been thinking about trying to customize the unit a bit.  I was hoping current users might chime in with some insight as to what they like/dislike or would like to see different if they could get a new one.  Here are my thoughts on potential changes.

1) I like the idea of having the xlr inputs on the side of the unit & away from the gain knobs like these pics.  If not this, I think on the back (opposite) side of the unit from the gain knobs would be nice as well.

2) Locking external power jack.  Either a full size / mini 4-pin xlr or a jack similar to the V3's locking connector.  I think the addition of a momentary switch and LED with a small amplifier circuit which would show if power was being drawn externally or not would be worth it as well.

3) Power switch to be on the same face as the gain knobs.

4) Can he substitute mini-xlr jacks for the rca jacks?  They'd still be unbalanced outputs, but I'd like the peace of mind from a locking connector.  Maybe he can substitute mini-xlr jacks for the inputs as well to save some room? 

5) Regardless if he can use use something other than the rca jacks, I'd still like it to have the 1/8" stereo jack output.

6) I think a single 'stereo' gain dial (either stepped or not), and a second 'balance' dial with a center detent would be best for the gain knobs.  The DPA's are going to be matched to w/in 1db, I believe, so this would be a pretty easy approach. 

7) Does any one have a variable gain unit?  I'm assuming the variable gain does not have an audible click when changing gain like the stepped units do.  Are the variable gain units available in the 0-50 db and the 20-70 db options?  I think the 20 - 70 db option would be the way to go.  I don't see myself every running at 0 db.

8) Is it possible to add a clip light for each channel?  I don't think this is a necessity, but if he can add it, why not?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2007, 12:46:02 PM »
My power switch is plastic and sticks out just a bit. I keep tape over it and usually run off an external wally battery. I don't really like those huge locking power switches. Just one more thing to snag in a pocket, etc. I'd go with the small plastic switch and ask Jerry to recess it flush. He should be able to shim the switch so it doesn't stick out at all.

Knobs next to xlr's is kinda crowded.  With practice you can easily grab both knobs with two fingers.  But you must be able to access the face at a certain angle to do that.  A v3 shaped knob with flats would be nice because it would allow me to feel that the gain setting on both pots is the same in the dark (flats are aligned).

I think I prefer having everything on one face of the aerco.  Putting controls on one side and i/o on the other makes the unit larger and could make control access more difficult in a pocket.

Be nice if Jerry could eliminate noise when changing gain but I can see how that might be impossible.

I don't think mini-xlr saves any room compared to xlr stubbies (except internally and I don't think you'll get a smaller box).  But maybe you were going to do stubbie mini-xlrs?

RCA vs. minixlr.. Hmm..  Tough call.  The xlr's I run are really tight so pull off is not a concern.

I imagine the +20dB transformer in the 20-70 model sounds different than the 0dB transformer in the 0-50 but I don't know...  I don't think I could record dino jr in some locations with schoeps level sensitivity with a 20dB min pre. Extreme case, yes but I'm hitting them twice in june. Unless you want the potentially different sound of the +20 xformers, or need the 60 and 70 db gain, I'd go with the 0db model.

I'd definitely go with stepped gain. More reliable and quiet for the long haul. Also easier to set your gain at an exact level vs. "1:00", etc.

I like the idea of a single knob for gain.   But I don't think I would have a balance pot into the signal path, even with a detent. Not sure if it is in the signal path or whether it modifies the amount of gain.  Maybe Jerry would do jumpers on the board that bypass the balance pot?  Though my guess is you'd always have it bypassed ;)

As far as the clip light, I'd keep it simple. I already tape over enough LEDs on the 722.

Expect an MSMW MG210 > aerco vs. v3 comp later today!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2007, 12:48:55 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts!   +T in twelve.

I don't think mini-xlr saves any room compared to xlr stubbies (except internally and I don't think you'll get a smaller box).  But maybe you were going to do stubbie mini-xlrs?

Bingo!  Don't know if it's doable, but never say never.   8)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2007, 01:35:41 PM »
I'm going to pull the trigger on an Aerco & have been thinking about trying to customize the unit a bit.  I was hoping current users might chime in with some insight as to what they like/dislike or would like to see different if they could get a new one.  Here are my thoughts on potential changes.

1) I like the idea of having the xlr inputs on the side of the unit & away from the gain knobs like these pics.  If not this, I think on the back (opposite) side of the unit from the gain knobs would be nice as well.

2) Locking external power jack.  Either a full size / mini 4-pin xlr or a jack similar to the V3's locking connector.  I think the addition of a momentary switch and LED with a small amplifier circuit which would show if power was being drawn externally or not would be worth it as well.

3) Power switch to be on the same face as the gain knobs.

4) Can he substitute mini-xlr jacks for the rca jacks?  They'd still be unbalanced outputs, but I'd like the peace of mind from a locking connector.  Maybe he can substitute mini-xlr jacks for the inputs as well to save some room? 

5) Regardless if he can use use something other than the rca jacks, I'd still like it to have the 1/8" stereo jack output.

6) I think a single 'stereo' gain dial (either stepped or not), and a second 'balance' dial with a center detent would be best for the gain knobs.  The DPA's are going to be matched to w/in 1db, I believe, so this would be a pretty easy approach. 

7) Does any one have a variable gain unit?  I'm assuming the variable gain does not have an audible click when changing gain like the stepped units do.  Are the variable gain units available in the 0-50 db and the 20-70 db options?  I think the 20 - 70 db option would be the way to go.  I don't see myself every running at 0 db.

8) Is it possible to add a clip light for each channel?  I don't think this is a necessity, but if he can add it, why not?

One simple suggestion.. Is if this thing has a steped gain control make the first possition the on/off :) Then you dont need the huge switch for power..
If it does not there are plenty of volume pots with built in switches on the market..

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2007, 01:49:58 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts!   +T in twelve.

Bingo!  Don't know if it's doable, but never say never.   8)

Its early, but welcome back to Team Aerco, Matthew!!!    ;D

Brian, you're the best at those comps.  Thank you.   

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2007, 07:24:18 PM »
Yep, I can't wait to hear the comp. I really wanted to try one of these Aerco's but still had my heart set on a PSP2, in the meantime I picked up a MR-1000 just to be safe  ::)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2007, 01:14:19 PM »
Does the Aerco MP-2 have a switch to turn phantom power off?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2007, 01:28:55 PM »
the one i ran did not have a power switch or a switch for phantom, once it was plugged into power it was on.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2007, 01:46:52 PM »
the one i ran did not have a power switch or a switch for phantom, once it was plugged into power it was on.

Every one I have seen has a power switch, but it only works with reference to the internal batteries if you're using them.  If using an external batt/DC power, once plugged in they are always on.  No extra switch for phantom at all.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2007, 01:56:14 PM »
I guess no SBD patches with the Aerco in between then. Thanks guys! I'll ask Jerry if a switch can be implemented.

Now to decide if I want this or a V2...

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2007, 09:25:56 PM »
There's an internal jumper that can be used to turn off phantom.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2007, 10:48:58 PM »

Did you like the Aerco MP-2 better than your PSP-2? Just curious.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com