Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Workflow for Audacity and Ozone GUI  (Read 4979 times)

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Workflow for Audacity and Ozone GUI
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:14:46 PM »
Hi I am an Audacity noob.  It is not too steep of a learning curve but can someone type up a simple workflow for how to use the Ozone GUI in Audacity?

I start with a 24/48 file.  My confusion is that I can click the settings in the GUI to go from 24>16 and then click OK and it looks like it processes something but apparently makes no change.  Do I let it ride then do Mix and Render, Export, or both in that order?  I am under the impression that I have Export set up to change files to 16 bit output so I cannot tell if Ozone is doing it or if Audacity is doing it.

I resample to 44.1 after the fact.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Workflow for Audacity and Ozone GUI
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:02:18 AM »
1) when going to 16bit, always resample then dither (dither is last).
2) To use Ozone with Audacity (and it will work), then it's get everything setup in the Ozone screen that you want, hit ok, and it will pop up a little box that shows progress (and yes, it's doing something). After you're done, assuming you dithered as part of that Ozone run, then just export (or export multiple if you've tracked it out there via labels).

So the work flow: Do any adjustments/mixes you want, then resample, then dither. That creates a 24bit file with nothing in bits 17-24. Then export as a 16bit file with truncation set in Audacity (because Ozone already did the dither). My only word of warning, try to only run an Ozone process once or twice in any time you've started Audacity. I found (with 1.3.13 at any rate) that if I used a VST plugin more then about 3 times, on the 4 run it would crash the entire program. That and it won't preview sound in real time were my two beefs with the pair together.

Best of luck.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
I normally resample first but for the first run through Audacity I ran R8Brain Pro last for some reason.  Thanks for your help.  +T  I give this a whirl!
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »
This is the current workflow I have come up with for Audacity and Ozone.  I still need to figure out "compression" and/or "find peak levels".  My final volume sounds low to me for some reason.  I think that I can use Ozone for compression but mostly use it for dithering exclusively. 

Input or comments are welcome...

1) Resample 24/48 master to 24/44.1 with R8BrainPro
2) Open File #1 (mic pair) in Audacity: File|Open... (CTRL O)
3) Import File #2 (soundboard pair): File|Import|Audio... (CTRL+SHIFT+ I)
4) Open Mixer board: (VIEW|MIXER BOARD)
5) Align file sets to sync (if needed) using sideways arrow icon (<-->) to drag file back and forth and line up peaks.
6) Play file sets together.    (listen for NO ECHO, and check a few points beginning, middle and end)
7) Mute one source or the other on Mixer board to make sure the unmuted files sound ideal together.  Adjust according to my preferences
8 ) Mix all four channels (stereo x 2) together into a single stereo track: TRACKS|MIX AND RENDER
9) Open Ozone VST, choose appropriate settings, and select OK: EFFECTS|IZOTOPE, INC:IZOTOPE OZONE 4
10) Export final file: FILE:EXPORT...

Split and FLAC using CD Wave or label and spit using Audacity (which I am still figuring out)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 03:00:42 AM »
This is the current workflow I have come up with for Audacity and Ozone.  I still need to figure out "compression" and/or "find peak levels".  My final volume sounds low to me for some reason.  I think that I can use Ozone for compression but mostly use it for dithering exclusively. 

Input or comments are welcome...

5) Align file sets to sync (if needed) using sideways arrow icon (<-->) to drag file back and forth and line up peaks.
6) Play file sets together.    (listen for NO ECHO, and check a few points beginning, middle and end)
7) Mute one source or the other on Mixer board to make sure the unmuted files sound ideal together.  Adjust according to my preferences
8 ) Mix all four channels (stereo x 2) together into a single stereo track: TRACKS|MIX AND RENDER
9) Open Ozone VST, choose appropriate settings, and select OK: EFFECTS|IZOTOPE, INC:IZOTOPE OZONE 4

Split and FLAC using CD Wave or label and spit using Audacity (which I am still figuring out)

thats basically it. If you're only dithering, you can use Audacity's "Amplify" function to determine the max peak volume.

So what you can do then is:

after step 8:
9) Use Amplify function to determine how much headroom is left (write number down).
10) Use Ozone and add slightly less than your max to the input gain in Ozone (presuming you aren't doing positive EQ or compression with band gain that results in a net positive). Use Dither.
11) Check the amplify function again to ensure no overages and it ended where you'd expect.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
Marking thread.  :)
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »
FWIW, I've always saved resample and dither for my last two operations, which would move your #1 after #8:

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
FWIW, I've always saved resample and dither for my last two operations, which would move your #1 after #8:

true, but with Audacity in the mix, he'd have to dither twice, once to get to r8brain, and a second time after the ozone processing. It's a choice of lesser evils; resample too early, or dither twice. Pros and cons to each I guess.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 01:03:25 AM »
true, but with Audacity in the mix, he'd have to dither twice, once to get to r8brain, and a second time after the ozone processing. It's a choice of lesser evils; resample too early, or dither twice. Pros and cons to each I guess.

Ahhh...I get it.  It's been a while since I used Audacity.  Could've sworn you can mixdown to 32bfp, but I must be remembering wrong.  Thanks for the clarification, page.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »

Ahhh...I get it.  It's been a while since I used Audacity.  Could've sworn you can mixdown to 32bfp, but I must be remembering wrong.  Thanks for the clarification, page.

I think you're able to. I'm not familiar enough with r8brain to know if it would accept the 32bit files Audacity generates or not, so I was going for the dither at 24.

#teamblindleadingblind  :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com