Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do you Band Pass Filter / Gate your Masters?  (Read 6005 times)

Offline mfisch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Do you Band Pass Filter / Gate your Masters?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 08:29:44 PM »
So everyone seems to be in agreement on using compression for trade-friendly recordings? I've been applying at 100% on a per-track basis. This really does a great job on most recordings and songs.

As I've been whipping up 'demo' or distributable masters, I've been applying a mild 6-9dB gain w/ 3-band compression / limiter to ensure the intros, solos and chorus/etc are all audible on consumer hardware .... SlimSlowSlider's compressor isnt as nice as the hollywood or broadcaster digital compressors -- but its miles ahead of the one that came with cubase (just by being 3-band)... and its free.

Anyone have alternative method suggestions or a specific suite of tools they find particularly helpful? I'm using free tools / cubase se tools now, but If I find something I like I dont mind shelling out. .. of course much of this stuff is meant for producers who have complete isolation in their tracks already ...
SP C4's > FA-101 > MacMini
whats wrong with lead?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 08:39:48 PM »

Oh shit, was that a troll? You're stepping in front of a train around here...  :P
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 09:24:24 PM »
wanted to add that another great tool you can try (software permitting) is automation.  It's really helped me with gain issues, and is a nice alternative to plugins...  A slight fader ride during a particularly tough transition can do wonders.  Also works well for dropping rowdy crowds.  With smooth automation, the differences between those sudden peaks, and quieter setions can be completely seamless.

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 10:03:37 PM »
So everyone seems to be in agreement on using compression for trade-friendly recordings?

Actually, it seems to me there's broad disagreement on using compression for trade-friendly recordings.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 10:07:32 PM »
So everyone seems to be in agreement on using compression for trade-friendly recordings?

Actually, it seems to me there's broad disagreement on using compression for trade-friendly recordings.

hmm, no, In fact not trolling, but maybe the bump on my head and late night are an excuse for a typo? I meant to say everyone is on the same page on using normalization ....
whats wrong with lead?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 11:35:39 PM »
Re normalizing:  you're better off setting your levels properly in the first place, so normalization is not necessary.  The only situations in which I can see levels not set properly is either a stealth job or a wholly unfamiliar recording scenario (for example, recording something far different than the normal AUD situation, like an organ recital with no sound check).
Roland R-05

RebelRebel

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2005, 10:21:28 AM »
Thanks Brian.  :P ;)

Re normalizing:  you're better off setting your levels properly in the first place, so normalization is not necessary.  The only situations in which I can see levels not set properly is either a stealth job or a wholly unfamiliar recording scenario (for example, recording something far different than the normal AUD situation, like an organ recital with no sound check).

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2005, 02:04:05 PM »
Leaving the stuff as is ... great for a "raw" master, but no good for distribution. A recording with no gain/eq/normalization/etc will not be "loud enough" on a normal CD player.

I disagree...get the levels right when recording and it'll be plenty loud. Besides half the resolution of 16 bit audio is *above* 6dBFS...if the nominal levels during recording aren't at or above that range you've blown the tape anyways. You can't get back what's not there.

-e
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 02:07:43 PM by ethan »
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2005, 01:37:13 PM »
Mostly I record on my laptop... I record so that the levesl kiss 0 (without clipping)...  Its loud enough. I'll take out rumble and sometimes wind noise... But is not good soundwise to mess with too much and it'll drive you batty if to try too hard. Trims and fades.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2005, 01:49:49 PM »
yep, its certainly driving me batty.

What about UV22?
whats wrong with lead?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2005, 02:15:14 PM »
What about UV22?

What about it?  It's a dithering algorithm, and AFAIK, that's it.  I performed a dither comparison a while back if you're interested.
Roland R-05

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2005, 02:49:06 PM »
What about UV22?

What about it?  It's a dithering algorithm, and AFAIK, that's it.  I performed a dither comparison a while back if you're interested.

Ya, its mainly the time it takes to run that bothers me. Thanks for the link.

ps. a "search" for uv22 comes up with mostly useless stuff not including your study ;) .... and the more I think about the search rewrite its probably more complicated than I gave it credit initially ... worth a try though.
whats wrong with lead?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com