Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Handling 48kHz  (Read 5630 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: Handling 48kHz
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 04:47:17 PM »
i don't understand about the q sheet. is that a record of were you want splits to be and then select the times in cd wave? that would save a lot of time if i could figure it out.

sometimes i'll cut into discs in wavelab and then just put a split at the first and last point i can in cd wave and delete them. all the indevidual tracks i do in cd wave.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 12:12:52 PM »
Once you set all of your tracks in CDWav, do File>Save Cuesheet.  The result is a cuesheet that tells CDWav where to cut the tracks in the large source file.  If you want to cut the file into tracks of 48khz files, then you can do so by File>Save like you've done in the past (keeping the big source file intact).  Now you can goto Wavelab, etc and resample the original large source file down to 44.1.  Once that is done, open the large 44.1 file in CDWav, do File>Load cue sheet and load the cuesheet you saved when you set the tracks in the 48khz file.  You can now do File>Save again and cut the 44.1 file into tracks of 44.1 files.  Make sense?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 12:14:39 PM by mhibbs »
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2006, 06:02:10 PM »

1.  All editing first (fades, normalization, etc)
2.  Resample (use anti-alias'ing in SF, highest level)
3.  Bit Depth Change (ONLY IF you're going 24>16 bit; otherwise, not necessary)
always forget this myself
resample then dither
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 03:35:57 PM »
Once you set all of your tracks in CDWav, do File>Save Cuesheet.  The result is a cuesheet that tells CDWav where to cut the tracks in the large source file.  If you want to cut the file into tracks of 48khz files, then you can do so by File>Save like you've done in the past (keeping the big source file intact).  Now you can goto Wavelab, etc and resample the original large source file down to 44.1.  Once that is done, open the large 44.1 file in CDWav, do File>Load cue sheet and load the cuesheet you saved when you set the tracks in the 48khz file.  You can now do File>Save again and cut the 44.1 file into tracks of 44.1 files.  Make sense?

so like when i forget to resample first, all i would have needed to do was go back and resample then load the q sheet and not have to go through retracking it all over again?  i've got to try this!  +T to ya bud  sounds like a good habit for absent mind(ed) tapers like me.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 10:01:56 AM »
make sure you resample before splitting tracks!  everything else first. you'll end up w/ all kinds of sbes if you don't. trust me, i'm on my 3rd in a row i forgot/thought i did. too much like work this way.

I don't know about Soundforge 8, but in version 6 it did not cut on the sector boundaries.   I'd suggest using cdwav.... Its really easy to use, and cuts on the sector bounds.

A final thing - save your regionlists/cue sheets with your archived files!  You'll be glad you did.

Yeah, but even if you cut the 48khz file in CDWav THEN resample the individual files you'll end up w/ SBEs.  The cuesheet route is definitely the way to go....resample the entire file, then use the cue sheet to cut it up via CDWav and it should be fine.

mitch

This is exactly what I do too, both when I used to resample and now that I dither.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 10:05:37 AM »

so like when i forget to resample first, all i would have needed to do was go back and resample then load the q sheet and not have to go through retracking it all over again?  i've got to try this!  +T to ya bud  sounds like a good habit for absent mind(ed) tapers like me.

exactly correct.  It works very nicely.   What I do is store a cue sheet on my archived dvds w/ my original 24/44.1 file.   if I need a 16bit version, open the one on the DVD in wavelab, dither, and save onto the hard-drive.  Open the cue file in a text editor, and change the location of the input file.... then load it... unselect the first track and last track for exporting (those are the small tracks to keep out SBE's), and then save (ie export individual tracks).

I was very hesitant to change to CDWav for tracking, but I think it rules. 
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline shruggy1987

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 09:51:52 AM »
some more advice on processing:
before you do any post production (normalization, adding EQ, compression, etc.) it is wise to increase bit-depth to max (in Sf that is 64) and upsample to 192kHz.  then apply the post production and go down to 16/44.1, or whatever your desired final format is.  it takes a long time (depends on your system), but it is time well spent. 
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

Offline morningdew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 07:48:35 AM »
What does increasing the bit depth and up sampling before doing any post production work do for you?

If you recorded at 16 bit / 48 kHz you can't really make it any better can you?

Thanks.

Offline shruggy1987

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 08:49:40 AM »
What does increasing the bit depth and up sampling before doing any post production work do for you?

If you recorded at 16 bit / 48 kHz you can't really make it any better can you?

Thanks.

the sound quality itself cannot improve over what you have originally, but the higher sample rate/bit-depth allows the processing (equalization/compression) to be as accurate and detailed as possible.
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 10:15:51 AM »
Yup, the higher bit depth and sampling rate for processing doesn't make things better than their original accuracy at 16 bits and 48 kHz, but it does help you to keep from making things any worse.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com