Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Application for MAC to switch between OS at will...  (Read 2227 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Application for MAC to switch between OS at will...
« on: July 29, 2006, 05:49:07 PM »
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/04/06/parallels_offers_mac_vt_beta/

US software company Parallels has posted a pre-release version of its upcoming virtualisation tool for Intel-based Macs. Coming in response to the release of Apple's Windows XP-oriented Boot Camp utility, the Parallel product eliminates the need to choose which operating system the users at start-up. Instead, users can flip between operating systems at will.

Parallels also said the software doesn't limit users to Windows XP as an alternative to Mac OS X - they can opt to run "any version of Windows (3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Me, 2000, NT, XP, 2003), any Linux distribution, FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2, eComStation or MS-DOS".

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Application for MAC to switch between OS at will...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 06:14:23 PM »
I've got a Beta version...really nice app. Much better than Bootcamp (no rebooting the computer to switch between OS), and not slower than Christmas like Virtual PC.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 05:17:07 PM »
so how's the performance of parallels vs. boot camp?  I'd expect XP to run better under boot camp since it's not emulating inside of another OS.
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 05:38:51 PM »
its been out of beta for about month or so now.
think its near $50 or so.

runs very smoothly but you cant do 3d games...besides, thats what a console is for!  ;)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 07:50:52 PM »
I haven't used Parallels because I don't feel like paying to use Windows on my Mac :) Boot Camp works fine for me, though I wouldn't be opposed to OS X 10.5 containing Windows virtualization or the ability to run Windows programs directly through OS X. Perhaps we'll know next week at WWDC...

Depechemode1993

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 09:53:13 AM »
I know this is an old topic I didn't know if it was right to post another question about bootcamp to a totally different subject than taping.

Can Bootcamp play PC games? Thats all I want to know. If not I don't want Windows files to plague my computer.  ;D

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 11:11:07 AM »
Boot Camp isn't the operating system, just the enabler to switch OSes. It allows you to switch between OS X and XP on any Mac machine that has an Intel processor. So if your PC games play on XP, and you have XP to install on a partition of your drive, you're good to go.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com