Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]  (Read 50775 times)

Online billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-701D [Part 1]
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2019, 01:28:34 PM »
I ran Adrian's old 701 for the first time last night, out of necessity and without boning up on the manual. I had the mix disabled; however, the deck was still showing levels for 5-6? Is this normal?
I've only used my 701D twice now but that's how it worked for me, I could see the levels for channels 5-6 even though I had them turned off.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2019, 03:44:18 PM »
I ran Adrian's old 701 for the first time last night, out of necessity and without boning up on the manual. I had the mix disabled; however, the deck was still showing levels for 5-6? Is this normal?
I've only used my 701D twice now but that's how it worked for me, I could see the levels for channels 5-6 even though I had them turned off.

Good (I guess lol). I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

What's really weird is that those channels had higher levels than either 1-2 or 3-4. The biggest thing I was worried about was that I had the monitor set to "mix" sending it out to video camera and I didn't know if it was going to be distorted or not if it was coming from "that" mix.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Online billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2019, 06:12:25 PM »

Good (I guess lol). I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

What's really weird is that those channels had higher levels than either 1-2 or 3-4. The biggest thing I was worried about was that I had the monitor set to "mix" sending it out to video camera and I didn't know if it was going to be distorted or not if it was coming from "that" mix.
The last time I ran the 701-D (for Tab Benoit) I recorded the channel 5-6 mix and gave the SD card to Skaggs after the show.
He liked how it sounded and tracked and upped it as is. Sounds pretty good.
https://archive.org/details/tabbenoit2019-06-12.flac16schoepsmk41-soundboardmatrix

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2019, 08:37:03 AM »

I picked up Dan's 701d to replace my quirky Marantz PMD706. Any advice for a new user?

The menu looks really straight forward and I did a few trial runs at home to get a feel for it. Any pitfalls or easy to miss settings?

The angle of the screen seems a little steep for running in a bag and seems to be designed more for using it flat on a table top.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2019, 12:06:52 PM »
The angle of the screen seems a little steep for running in a bag and seems to be designed more for using it flat on a table top.
I run the 70D but the screen angle issue is the same. Sometimes I run the deck relatively "upside down" when I would not be able to see the levels with it right side up. For instance, when it's propped on its battery cover, next to a soundboard, and I don't want to have to put my head right over the mixing board to see my meters.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »

I've run this thing a couple times now using the internal preamps and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. They sound nice and balanced with good low end extension.
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2021, 01:48:24 PM »

After a couple of years of rock solid performance my 701d has started to add significant pops and static to recordings. It started doing it recently and it's getting worse. Same mics, preamp, SD cards and external batteries used with different recorder no issues.

Anyone else had these kinds of issues?

My entire weekend of recordings from my first festival back out may have to be scrapped if major declick plugin processing doesn't pan out...

Online billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2021, 02:05:01 PM »

After a couple of years of rock solid performance my 701d has started to add significant pops and static to recordings. It started doing it recently and it's getting worse. Same mics, preamp, SD cards and external batteries used with different recorder no issues.

Anyone else had these kinds of issues?

My entire weekend of recordings from my first festival back out may have to be scrapped if major declick plugin processing doesn't pan out...
Wow, that's scary.
I just finished up archiving for a three day festival using the same 701D setup. I've not noticed anything weird yet but haven't listened to or started processing very much of it at this point.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2021, 07:01:37 PM »
Roger, that really blows after you dealt with the marantz 706. Sorry man.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2021, 12:19:28 PM »

I may have sounded the death bell too soon. I started working on the shows from that weekend in reverse - last show first. It looks like the battery I was using to power both my SD442 and the 701d was just about spent and the discharge curve dipped really low towards the end so I'm thinking that's the issue.

I have another show coming up in a few weeks with other tapers likely to be there so I'm not giving up on it yet. This thing is small, has a great feature set and sounds good. I don't want to give up on a four track recorder that's about the size of a thick paperback book and the same weight. My first 4 track was an Edirol R4. Huge compared to the 701d.

Online billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2021, 01:30:13 PM »

I may have sounded the death bell too soon. I started working on the shows from that weekend in reverse - last show first. It looks like the battery I was using to power both my SD442 and the 701d was just about spent and the discharge curve dipped really low towards the end so I'm thinking that's the issue.

I have another show coming up in a few weeks with other tapers likely to be there so I'm not giving up on it yet. This thing is small, has a great feature set and sounds good. I don't want to give up on a four track recorder that's about the size of a thick paperback book and the same weight. My first 4 track was an Edirol R4. Huge compared to the 701d.
Here's hoping that was your issue!  8)

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2021, 01:37:00 PM »

I sold my 701d on Reverb and the buyer asked if I knew anywhere he could get the top camera mount plate for it. Mine didn't come with one so I thought I'd ask here since most tapers don't use that and it might be sitting in a drawer unused.

Anyone have one they'd be willing to send to a dude in Ohio?

Online billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »

I sold my 701d on Reverb and the buyer asked if I knew anywhere he could get the top camera mount plate for it. Mine didn't come with one so I thought I'd ask here since most tapers don't use that and it might be sitting in a drawer unused.

I might, will look later today.

Online billydee

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2021, 08:02:31 PM »

I might, will look later today.
All I have is the little rectangular plate that screws on with a single screw, it's less than an inch wide. I don't think that's it but if it is let me know.

Offline Joop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2021, 12:40:38 PM »
The bracket is the same as the one on the DR60D > this is in the service manual of the DR701D > "BRACKET,TOP DR60D G". The complete bracket contain 10 pieces, I didn't see a order number for a complete bracket.   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com