Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4  (Read 97847 times)

Online yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4
« Reply #345 on: May 06, 2018, 10:39:08 PM »
^^Although it probably doesn't matter....  I personally think that it makes sense to buy SD equipment from Full Compass since they are both WI based companies.   :coolguy:
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #346 on: May 07, 2018, 11:43:53 AM »
^^Although it probably doesn't matter....  I personally think that it makes sense to buy SD equipment from Full Compass since they are both WI based companies.   :coolguy:

Full Compass knows which way is north.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #347 on: May 07, 2018, 01:57:45 PM »
First field use of the MP-3 Saturday night; went very well, and made a great recording.

Many thanks to all who contributed great info that allowed me to utilize all that the recorder offers.

Love the ability to run safety tracks!

~Chris
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #348 on: May 07, 2018, 05:19:34 PM »
^ How did you get safety tracks?  Is that an addition in the latest firmware update?

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #349 on: May 07, 2018, 06:42:33 PM »
^ How did you get safety tracks?  Is that an addition in the latest firmware update?

Here's some of my notes copied from this thread:

To use the mixpre the way tapers are used to using "recorders," do the following:

In "System" set the mode to Custom.
In "Custom Setup" set "Gain" to "Basic" and "Channel" to "Advanced."

Users wanting to link inputs, but control all levels from the front-panel Channel
1 knob should set System > Mode to Custom and then in Custom Setup, set
Gain to Basic and Channel to Advanced.

Now you can set up safeties.

Duncan’s 2 channel safety method:
Set iso’s to 16 in the menus and then have the mix track recording at a lower db as safety track, with channels linked so you can control the mix track db with the 1st knob and the balance with the 2nd.

My variation:
I set my iso’s low, and run the mix track hotter. Therefor, I set the main tracks to have 6-12 dB headroom depending on the type of music you're recording, safeties (iso’s) 10db down.

I think I've got this all correct, would be great if others could provide feedback/corrections.

Recordings at LMA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »
^ Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking I missed something with the new firmware (I haven't updated yet, as I heard there are some bugs).

For what it's worth, neither of those methods work in advanced mode. The fader gain is digital, so, in the first case (mix lower), if you clip the ISOs, the mix will be a clipped recording at a lower level (i.e. brickwalled). In the second case (mix higher), there is no benefit (unless the digital gain on the recorder sounds better than the gain from your DAW, I suppose). I have tested this and am pretty certain about it. I think I still have the files; if you are interested, I can post pictures of the waveforms.

Like I said, that is in advanced mode. The whole gain situation in custom mode is a little murkier (in personal correspondence, they provided some details, but not enough to really figure it out; they claim some secret sauce in there), so maybe it works differently. I would hesitate to rely on it without a little testing, though.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #351 on: May 09, 2018, 11:08:29 AM »
^ Great point, I guess I'll just run ISO's, and keep them lowish.

Recordings at LMA

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #352 on: May 09, 2018, 02:40:56 PM »
^ Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking I missed something with the new firmware (I haven't updated yet, as I heard there are some bugs).

For what it's worth, neither of those methods work in advanced mode. The fader gain is digital, so, in the first case (mix lower), if you clip the ISOs, the mix will be a clipped recording at a lower level (i.e. brickwalled). In the second case (mix higher), there is no benefit (unless the digital gain on the recorder sounds better than the gain from your DAW, I suppose). I have tested this and am pretty certain about it. I think I still have the files; if you are interested, I can post pictures of the waveforms.

Like I said, that is in advanced mode. The whole gain situation in custom mode is a little murkier (in personal correspondence, they provided some details, but not enough to really figure it out; they claim some secret sauce in there), so maybe it works differently. I would hesitate to rely on it without a little testing, though.

I agree, using the mix track as a safety would not work, because the mix is pulling from the ISO tracks and if they are distorting, than the mix no matter how low will have a quieter distorted track.
FWIW the new Firmware 2.10 is really good. I have run lots of shows with it and had no issues at all. Better graphics with more information, some menus also have more information with 6 windows versus 4, but they still are really easy t access so less switching between menus. There was a flaw in 1.52 that caused me to not try that version but 1.53 fixed it and no issues since, I really like 2.10.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:18:00 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #354 on: May 24, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »
New firmware:

http://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads/mixpres-firmware

From the download page:
Last update May 24, 2018

Changes introduced in 2.20 include:

New

For all models:
Output gain range increased by 20dB.
Added Output Mute option.
Added Output Mute * shortcut option.
For MixPre-10M
Import of WAV audio files (native and non-native) when creating a Music Project.
For MixPre-10T
Displays a timecode reset notification in Free Run and Time of Day modes when timecode is reset after the timecode hold time of 4 hrs is exceeded.
For MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 only
Jump to cue marks by holding Play and rotating the headphone encoder.
For MixPre-3, -6, and -10T only
Plugin support: A new System > Plugins submenu for installing future licensed plugins.
New Record > Record Bells menu option to disable record bell notifications.
Added Inputs MS Decode submenu to select MS decoding to both ISOs and Mix or Mix Only.
Recordings that are split across multiple files now playback seamlessly.
Playback of non-native WAV files in Audio Projects.
Changed

For MixPre-3, -6, and -10T only
In Remix mode, re-recorded files are now placed in the same project folder as the source file.
A file's 'Name' has been increased to a maximum of 20 characters.
For all models:
Channel Screen meter remains visible and active when adjusting channel gain.
Headphone Clip Indicator is now displayed in power/battery level indicator in the top right of the screen.
Post fade channel clipping is now indicated by a channel's ring LED illuminating red.
Projects are now sorted by creation date/time in the Project > Open menu.
Menu screens now allow the user to switch from one parameter to another with a single touch.
Fixed

For MixPre-10T only:
USB Thumbdrive was prematurely shown as full.
Time of Day timecode was incorrect after power cycling within the timecode hold time (4 hours).
For MixPre-10M only:
Mute was not muting tracks with Input source set to Click.
Metronome Volume and Click track level were inconsistent.
Rendered audio files were not automatically copied to the USB Drive.
Cue marks that fell outside of the Play In / Stop region were still embedded in the rendered wav file.
Cue marks set as Play In, Record In, Record Out, Stop were not being moved correctly.
Rendered isolated wav files would occasionally contain discontinuities at crossfades.
Phantom Power setting was not carrying over to the linked input in a linked pair.
Playback would not always work after recording the first take in a music project.
44.1kHz sample rate would not carry over to new projects.
For MixPre-6 and -10T only:
MixPre-6 channels 5 & 6 and MixPre-10T channels 9 & 10 were displaying 6dB too high.
Solo and Mutes were not linked when Link Type was set to 'All'.
For MixPre-3, -6, and -10T only:
Audio bleed-through into the record start/stop bells.
MS balance control was occasionally resetting to center.
Cue marks were not copied from the original file to the re-recorded file.
Track Arm indicators would flash after playing back.
Phantom Power setting could be displayed incorrectly in the Channel screen after playback.
Re-recording was only possible when the source file contained three or more tracks.
Headphone monitoring source would change after playback.
Previous project was not loading when reinserting the SD card.
Recording would stop when recording automatic file splits to daily folders over midnight.
For all models:
Jumping between cue marks has been improved.
Media I/O Error message was incorrectly displayed for a full SD card.
In some DAWs, MixPre audio file signal clipping was occurring at -0.1dBFS.
Zero byte split files were created on some SD cards.
Pop-up dialog windows could appear one on top of the other.
Improved handling of pop up dialog boxes.
Improved audio scrubbing.
Improved transport handling.
Improved media performance.

Recordings at LMA

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #355 on: May 24, 2018, 01:53:18 PM »
New Record > Record Bells menu option to disable record bell notifications.

Thank you, Sound Devices. Thank you Thank you Thank you

Next, please, standard tape recorder transport function buttons in Wingman App for FF, RW, Pause, etc.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:56:04 PM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #356 on: May 25, 2018, 04:51:59 AM »
Next, please, standard tape recorder transport function buttons in Wingman App for FF, RW, Pause, etc.
LOCK ON HOLD!??!?

I like the idea of the Wingman app, but it's just one more STOP button which could be accidentally pressed at the wrong time. Overall, that's not worth it.  :shrug:

Bought the 6 from Full Compass. Funny story, I'll tell you some time. Got the right unit in time for my two-show weekend and the machine worked as expected under 2.10.

Glad to have 2.20. The bug where files are not playable once you remove the SD card, and reinsert it was causing me to question my sanity. And the bug with channels 5-6 displaying incorrect levels by (+ or -?) 6dB??? No comment!!  :o

Glad that those are fixed in 2.20!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #357 on: May 25, 2018, 08:04:13 AM »
LOCK ON HOLD!??!?

I like the idea of the Wingman app, but it's just one more STOP button which could be accidentally pressed at the wrong time. Overall, that's not worth it.  :shrug:

Everyone has their different needs. For my purposes a lock button is unecessary.

But I need familiar transport & search controls (not the HP encoder) and pause during PB & Record etc. The standard stuff of analog machines and most digital ones as well. The Wingman app is the only way they can be implemented given the lack of physical buttons on the unit.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #358 on: May 30, 2018, 02:39:17 AM »
Has anyone rolled with the new firmware yet? First impressions?
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline JM Charcot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #359 on: May 30, 2018, 03:05:39 AM »
Has anyone rolled with the new firmware yet? First impressions?

Just did a quick test yesterday, the navigation between markers is a great improvement.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com