Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY microphone storage case  (Read 5693 times)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
DIY microphone storage case
« on: August 31, 2008, 08:34:48 PM »
I recently picked up a pair of Oktava MK-012 cards.  They came in their original cases and I wasn't sure about carrying them to shows in those boxes.  The Cigar Caddy/Otterbox thread has caught my interest and seemed to be a good fit for the Oktava mics.  I've also been looking at the Pelican 1060.  Anyway, MSTaper got my thoughts stirring about a DIY solution with his tale of using an old check box for his Avantone CK-1's.

So, I head off to Target this morning hoping to find some plastic kitchen container roughly 7-8" x 3-4" x 1.5-2".  Ran into a couple of possibilities in the disposable food container section.  Then I walked through the school supplies section and spotted a pencil box.  The only problem was they were almost out of them and only had one color - pink. But it was the right size. The first words from my family when I brought it home was, "Ooooo, nice color. It goes so nice with your blouse."  :D

So, with some foam I had lying around and a few drops of hot glue to secure it to the case, I now have a pink mic storage case for my Oktava MK-012's.  The case is the perfect size and the windscreens fit perfectly on the right side where I didn't put any foam.

Cost: $0.69 for the pencil box.  The foam I got from work.  A stick of hot glue - maybe $0.05.  Let's make it $0.75 total.  And probably nearly as functional as the Pelican or Otterbox.  It might not be waterproof or float, but it is highly unlikely I'll be using either of those features.

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
Re: DIY microphone storage case
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 08:37:52 PM »
+t for the DIY
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 08:43:30 PM »
And of course +T for being man enough to carry around a hot pink pencil box.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:23:25 PM »
I'll tell ya what..it may sound dumb...but,if you have a "Gander Mountain" near you (or other large sporting goods store) they have a huge selection of handgun cases..plastic,padded,waterproof cases that would work awesome. I spent some time looking over them once and I think they would work great.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »
Wallyworld fishing dept has several cases that might work. I picked up a waterproof box there about the right size to house my H2 and CA-9000 with room left for some other odds and ends. I sat down with some foam from work and a bread knife and made custom wedges to hold the items so I can get to the controls easily. It was like an Otter box but only cost about $8. I'm debating drilling a hole and installing a 3.5 jack for the mics. That way I could keep the box closed and the stuff inside safe from weather, wookies, etc. Its clear so I can see the H2 screen without opening the lid.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 09:55:06 PM »
$8 ?!?!?!  What, do you think I'm made of money?  ;)

I'm always up for a good DIY idea.  Thanks.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 10:15:45 PM »
$8 ?!?!?!  What, do you think I'm made of money?  ;)

I'm always up for a good DIY idea.  Thanks.

I had to cash in a whole pile of aluminum cans to by it!
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 12:20:43 AM »
I'll tell ya what..it may sound dumb...but,if you have a "Gander Mountain" near you (or other large sporting goods store) they have a huge selection of handgun cases..plastic,padded,waterproof cases that would work awesome. I spent some time looking over them once and I think they would work great.

Nothing sounds dumb about that.  Doskosil makes one case that is very close to the Pelican that many people use and it's about 60% of the cost from hunting stores.   I used a 4 pistol case for years.  I use a doskosil single pistol case to carry a pair of 414s, in their mounts, with the big neumann wind screens.  It's a great little case.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 10:39:53 AM »
And of course +T for being man enough to carry around a hot pink pencil box.

I think if we can find the pencil boxes in PURPLE, then we might have a product for Big Purple Dog to include in their line.  ;)

Link to LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com