Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Alternatives to Church Audio mic's  (Read 3879 times)

Offline vibralux

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Alternatives to Church Audio mic's
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:06:04 AM »
Hi guys,

I wanted to buy CA-14 mic's but I have some major communication problems with Chris Church, so I am afraid I'll have to look somewhere else. Are there any alternatives to his products? Preferably mic's  I could buy in Europe? (I live in Poland). I will be using those with PMD 661 (oade supermod)

I would appreciate any tips

Cheers

Marty

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Alternatives to Church Audio mic's
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:30:04 AM »
The Sound Professionals CMC 4 (larger AT U853 caps) or CMC8 (smaller AT 943 caps, but can be used w/ adapter and larger caps) are your best bet if you aren't using Church mics and are in this price range.  I think a lot of folks like both the SP's and CA14's and find them pretty comparable.  Sound Professionals has the advantage of not having to build everything by hand, so if speed in the mail is an issue especially, they are probably a good bet. One thing I also like about them is the switchable caps - I keep a set of hypers and omnis around as well.  I have found service and responsiveness with Sound Professionals to be extremely solid as well.  I think both they and Church have excellent reputations.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:33:53 AM »
I have CA-14's (cardioid) and the SP-CMC-4's and agree with jlb20.  They are very comparable.  I keep the sound pros because I like the switchable cap options. (cards, omnis, and hypers...I am only missing the subcards)
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline vibralux

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:38:26 AM »
Thanks guys - I will definitely look into those – can I use those with the Naiant PFA-P device?

M

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 10:25:45 AM »
An additional advantage to Sound Professionals is that they will definitely ship to Europe.  Another option that might be worth investigating is Microphone Madness; they will also ship to Europe.

I have never dealt with them, and don't know about their shipping policies, but you might want to look at Sonic Studios and Core Sounds too.

On this side of the Atlantic, Thomann (a large German music gear supplier) might be worth a look.  I have had a couple of transactions with them and they were really quick and easy...

As far as Church goes, I saw that he has a new e-mail address.  Maybe his lack of response is related to that?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:25:23 AM »
Hi guys,

I wanted to buy CA-14 mic's but I have some major communication problems with Chris Church, so I am afraid I'll have to look somewhere else. Are there any alternatives to his products? Preferably mic's  I could buy in Europe? (I live in Poland). I will be using those with PMD 661 (oade supermod)

I would appreciate any tips

Cheers

Marty

I apologize for the issues with communication i have been trying to fix my main computer as the brand new drive in it has failed. I had to restore all of my programs and I am very busy with building. I have now fixed the computer and I am concentrating on building and answering emails sorry about this.
Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline vibralux

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 06:46:04 AM »
Ok – I understand – sorry with for the comp misery- I am experiencing similar woes with my machine lately ;-(
Anyway – I have sent You a message.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 06:56:15 AM »
I have CA-14's (cardioid) and the SP-CMC-4's and agree with jlb20.  They are very comparable.  I keep the sound pros because I like the switchable cap options. (cards, omnis, and hypers...I am only missing the subcards)

I agree with Belexes. However the price is not comparable at all. The Church mics are great and are much cheaper, so if price is a major factor and you don't need switchable caps, go with the CA-14's. You will wait a few more weeks to receive your order than if you ordered from Sound Pro's, but Chris' stuff is worth waiting for.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 07:44:05 AM »

I agree with Belexes. However the price is not comparable at all. The Church mics are great and are much cheaper, so if price is a major factor and you don't need switchable caps, go with the CA-14's. You will wait a few more weeks to receive your order than if you ordered from Sound Pro's, but Chris' stuff is worth waiting for.
Or go with the CA-11s and get both the omni and card switchable caps.
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline vibralux

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 10:33:55 AM »
Just ordered both omnis and cards  CA-14's ;-)  I agree that the price is lot better that the SP stuff.
Thanks  for Your help guys.

BTW – does any of You have some cool tips with hiding those mic's? Preferably  on a  ear/face height? I will use those for stealth recording dialogues. ANy croakies that will fit those?  Hats?

Cheers
Marty

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 11:23:51 AM »
It will be worth the wait.

Based on the price and quality of Chris' stuff, if he gets a nice web store going with drop-down menus for mic options and such, he will be overwhelmed with orders.

AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »
BTW – does any of You have some cool tips with hiding those mic's? Preferably  on a  ear/face height? I will use those for stealth recording dialogues. ANy croakies that will fit those?  Hats?
Cheers
Marty

email sent involving baseball cap.

The CA-14 cards are probably too big for convenient use of croakies.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »

The CA-14 cards are probably too big for convenient use of croakies.

but talk to church about croakies.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com